Thread: British Woman arrested in Manila...........

British Woman arrested in Manila...........

Briton Arrested Over Alleged Gem Smuggling
    2:44pm UK, Friday August 14, 2009

A British woman has been arrested for allegedly smuggling over £6m worth of diamonds into the Philippines.

Some 130 million carats of diamonds are mined across the world every year

Alpha Kwok was arrested in Manila on Tuesday by the country's anti-smuggling group.

The agency's head Antonio Villar Jr said officials seized 160 carats of diamonds along with other precious stones - some of which were already made into jewellery.

A Foreign Office spokesperson told Sky News Online: "We are aware of the reports and are investigating the matter further."

Kwok, who was born in China and lives in Hong Kong, remains in custody pending a review of the case by the Filipino justice department.

Mr Villar alleged the woman may have been part of a smuggling syndicate.

"She doesn't have any permit to import, and she has no working permit," he said.

About 130 million carats of diamonds are mined across the world every year, and illegal trade plagues the sector.

In February 2009, the Chinese government reduced VAT on diamonds to make smuggling less attractive.

One carat of diamond is equivalent to about 200 miligrams in weight, suggesting the amount seized was close to 32kg.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...In_Philippines

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

I saw this on the news yesterday,born in China,Lives in Hong Kong but British Methinks not

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I saw this on the news yesterday,born in China,Lives in Hong Kong but British Methinks not
    about as British as Binyam Mohamed who fought alongside the Taleban in Afghanistan, following his arrest in Pakistan in 2002. his leave to remain expired in 2004, so why was he allowed back into the uk , this country is a of the world, only the uk would let someone like him back in, yet people on here have had their spouses or family visa's refused

Banned
    I saw this on the news yesterday,born in China,Lives in Hong Kong but British
    And making business in pinas clever aint she ?

32 KILOgrams hmmm...???

Maths?

1 carat = 200 miligrams = 0.2 g

0.2g x 160 carats = 32 grams!!!

Sky should employ someone with at least basic knowledge of MATHS
    Jiri & Maricel

Banned
    Briton Arrested Over Alleged Gem Smuggling
    2:44pm UK, Friday August 14, 2009

A British woman has been arrested for allegedly smuggling over £6m worth of diamonds into the Philippines.
    Think I'd better leave my "bling" at home then

I think you better N,unless you want to become yet another statistic of that Pinoy phenomenon "The Snatcher"

Quote Originally Posted by Ji&Ma View Post
    32 KILOgrams hmmm...???

Maths?

1 carat = 200 miligrams = 0.2 g

0.2g x 160 carats = 32 grams!!!

Sky should employ someone with at least basic knowledge of MATHS
    I was alerted to this story, this morning......Yes, 32 kilos would be some haul

Some haul for the sticky-fingered customs guys,I still remember when balikbayans returning to NAIA used to put pesos into their passports as a matter of course so their bags wouldnt be turned out as a delaying/punishment tactic for not paying up

Some haul for the sticky-fingered customs guys,I still remember when balikbayans returning to NAIA used to put pesos into their passports as a matter of course so their bags wouldnt be turned out as a delaying/punishment tactic for not paying up
    true

once when flying from Manila to baguio, before we boarded the plane, i was asked to stand on a box, and the security people did a quick search, he asked me what was in my pocket, i had some British coins in my pocket, i showed him it was coins, he looked at them in my hand, took a £1 coin, smiled at me, and told me to board the plane, i was a bit so i didn't say anything to him. i told my misses later and she went . its not just the £1 i lost , but if he would risk his job for a £1, he's a security risk, what else would he let people on the plane?

Seen it often mate back in the early 1990's,but I was always a little more vocal than most people Bit stupid but I once had a copper down in Sitangkai of all places try to tap me up for a few quid,he wished he hadnt bothered

Banned

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    true

once when flying from Manila to baguio, before we boarded the plane, i was asked to stand on a box, and the security people did a quick search, he asked me what was in my pocket, i had some British coins in my pocket, i showed him it was coins, he looked at them in my hand, took a £1 coin, smiled at me, and told me to board the plane, i was a bit so i didn't say anything to him. i told my misses later and she went . its not just the £1 i lost , but if he would risk his job for a £1, he's a security risk, what else would he let people on the plane?

they are great them guys

i have noticed they try it on more if you are with your wife/partner because she says ooooo dont make a scene give respect to these people

like the people in the government offices [you cant talk to them people like that ] watch me

but if joe is on his own act dumb raise your voice complain like we are good at they soon say ok sir carry on

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    true

Exactly the same thing happened to me. but it was 2 £1 coins, he just smiled at me and said "souvenir". I just got the feeling that if I had caused a fuss I would have been strip searched and had the rubber glove treatment. So I just smiled back at him as he put it in his pocket and he let me go on my way.

Iain.

Petty-theft and corruption is endemic in all governmental departments in Pinas,its as ingrained as the knots in the wood of my oak-flooring,if the lady with the gemstones has been a little more on the ball she could have bought her way out of this right at the beginning,like everything the longer you leave it and the further down the chain your passed the harder it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. but it was 2 £1 coins, he just smiled at me and said "souvenir". I just got the feeling that if I had caused a fuss I would have been strip searched and had the rubber glove treatment. So I just smiled back at him as he put it in his pocket and he let me go on my way.

Iain.
    it will not happen again, they will get from me,, and they will be sorry if me misses is with me , they will regret they ever lived

i just dont like dishonest people, maybe becuase i'm so near scouserland

I would have stuck em in a BB box..
    Having said that Im waiting for one now which was sent nearly 2 months ago..Might be a gonna.

Thread Information