Thread: Nutrition in PI!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis Suze View Post
    Hi everyone again

I spoke to my friend today online and I happened to ask her what she had eaten today. The answer was "Not much of rice and chickens feet"!!!!

What dried foods or canned foods do you think might be good to send over in my balikbayan box? It seems to me that there isn't much protein in their diet so I'm wondering what I could provide....also rice is quite expensive there too isn't it of late so I think I'll send some rice. I know it's a staple but it will save some money if I do won't it...do you think dried potato would be appreciated as a change from rice? I'll get some tinned corned beef, and maybe the chicken roll and stuff like that? Sorry i know I've done nothing but ask questions but I am so shocked and I so want to help with useful things as well as nice gifts. What about baked beans? They're full of protein....hahahaha! Listen to me! I haven't even sorted out a box yet...giggle.
    But really, what goodness is there in chickens FEET for goodness sakes?

Right, I'll shut up now and put my thinking cap on....tinned steak...hmmm...now there's a plan....lol OK I'm gone xxxx
    Hi Suze,

You're awesome. I'm sure the family you're helping is ever thankful.

I don't think dried potatoes (or even fresh ones) could replace rice for Filipinos. We were brought up eating rice for breakfast, lunch and supper. Some people are having it for merienda (snacks) in between meals. And as most Filipino would say, a meal is not a meal without rice .

If you are really decided to send a balikbayan box, the canned goods you mentioned are really good, and that would give you much value for what you have to pay for the shipment. Whatever you send, it's the thought that counts anyways.

Chickens feet?? It's not that bad really! Just part of the delicacies?? My dad is not allowing us to eat these sort of street foods, but me and my brothers are sneaking in to the nearest bbq to get chickens feet and betamax (pigs blood in squares). They're tasty!
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Waste not want not
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

yum...the chicken intestines too...that's another tasty part (if cleaned properly!!
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Thread Information