Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any nurse working in Glasgow?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newbie (Restricted Access)

any nurse working in Glasgow?

hi!! i just got my visa last week. anybody here working or studying in Glasgow? i need some advice or any feedback about the place. i am enrolled in an NVQ course.

Congrats on getting your visa,hope you enjoy your stay in the UK,going to Glasgow?First thing to do is learn the language,they dont speak english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGP4...eature=related

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

what's their language? scottish?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Banned

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Listen to the Youtube clip,its a very hardcore slang type of english(if that makes sense)my cousin lives in Caithness and I honestly dont understand 40% of her words You will pick it up in time,but theres lots of people in here who actually live up there and can advise you better Good luck with your future

ha ha ha i work with a glaswegan mind you he's been living in brummy land for a few years so he is a little easier to understand now

C U JIMMY

Quote Originally Posted by laeci_11 View Post
    ... After a fashion ... yes!

Sorry what?I don't understand. Can you speak Scottish.
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gary2jessica View Post
    Sorry what?I don't understand. Can you speak Scottish.
    ach aye, it's a geg!

... going to Glasgow?First thing to do is learn the language,they dont speak english
    Haw, "Jimmy" ... havin' been boarn in tha' 'Dear Green Place', Ah really must protest ... in Glesca Parlance, ye unnerstaun' ... [or mibbe ye dinnae!]

Onyweys, Ah'm shair ye ken whit they say aboot the "Geordies" ... wi'oot me tellin' ye like!

Aye,ah dae,Jocks wi their heeds kecked en?
    Spot-on, pal!

thank you!!! i have watched the clip. oh my! it's so hard to understand!! i've repeated it for so many times, but i just cant really understand even a single phrase!!! shox!!

are there a lot of filiponos working in that place?

thanks a lot for that offer!!! now i'm already thinking if i could move to another place in UK. my sister lives in devon england. i hope i could just stay near her place.

what a challege God gave me!!wheew!!

i hope i wouldnt be shocked with their culture, the place and the languange.

i'm from Tarlac.

do you think i could be able to transfer immediatly? i heard it's so cold out there.

hi!! i just got my visa last week. anybody here working or studying in Glasgow? i need some advice or any feedback about the place. i am enrolled in an NVQ course.
    Please excuse the good-natured banter between my friend Del [Tawi2] and I! Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on receiving your visa.

Without being biased, I can assure you, you'll really LIKE working in Glasgow. Once upon a time ... as Scotland's largest, and most populous city ... it had a [somewhat undeserved] "tough" reputation (although no worse than Philippine cities of comparable size, e.g., Manila and/or Davao).

But these days are long gone, and indeed, just a few years ago, it was nominated as a European City of Culture. And you'll soon find that its citizens are a very friendly people on the whole - with s as "big" as the place itself ... and a sense of humour unrivalled anywhere on Earth.

Enjoy!

thanks a lot for all your comments! hope i could still get a lot more from other people in the forum.

more info about glasgow please!!!

Respected Member
    more info about glasgow please!!!
    I'm a Scot my partner is from Manila, Ana finds it far easier to understand the Scots than any of the English people she has met, some English regional dialects are extremely hard to understand

If you are outgoing and approachable the Scots will be very friendly and very nice to you, I sometimes find the English a bit stand-offish

I actually think our Scottish and Philippine cultures have a lot in common although I find it hard to put into words why I feel that way, we do still have the close family ties, a common belief in fairness to each other and so on.

You get free aircon for a very large part of the year, that is true and it rains a lot but where you jump out of airconditioned taxi's and into airconditioned malls we jump out of heated taxi's and into heated malls well sometimes the taxi's are heated

In Glasgow, you are only 30 minutes from spectacular countryside in the form of the Trossachs indeed most cities in Scotland are only a few minutes from beautiful countryside.

Glasgow has some fantastic architecture and some of the best Museums and art galleries in the country, it is easy and sometimes cheap to get a flight from Glasgow airport to most other parts of the country it is a major provincial hub airport in that respect.

It's a cold place but the people are often warm and friendly and they really are not that hard to understand and I can tell you they will melt when they meet a warm smiling Filipino!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    I'm a Scot my partner is from Manila, Ana finds it far easier to understand the Scots than any of the English people she has met, some English regional dialects are extremely hard to understand

Jim
    Ana is not alone in this, Jim. Myrna's the SAME! With ME being a Scot too, she finds it easier to understand MY accent than most of the English dialects you find on *television nowadays. Talking of *which, we frequently have the subtitles switched on because I'm getting a bit hard of hearing ... though perhaps LESS so when watching Scottish programmes like 'Taggart'.

Maybe Scots are more clearly understood because, on the whole, they tend to speak slowly and delberately.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Ana is not alone in this, Jim. Myrna's the SAME! With ME being a Scot too, she finds it easier to understand MY accent than most of the English dialects you find on *television nowadays. Talking of *which, we frequently have the subtitles switched on because I'm getting a bit hard of hearing ... though perhaps LESS so when watching Scottish programmes like 'Taggart'.

Maybe Scots are more clearly understood because, on the whole, they tend to speak slowly and delberately.
    Ana likes the subtitles on a lot of programs in the UK and on a lot of movies

Don't get me wrong her English is superb, she greatly outclasses the vast majority of English speaking Filipino's I have met but she still finds some accents hard.

American English is the favoured dialect and accent but a well spoken Scots accent is one of the clearest forms of English there is, sure we Scots have a whole deep vocabulary of our own but most of that is well understood almost everywhere in the UK I could not say the same for Cornish

I think it would be hard for most people to understand a drunk Scot in a bar in the east end of Glasgow, god I find that hard a lot of the time

However the majority of us speak very clearly when we want or have too

Cheers Arthur!

Jim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_City
    all you ever wanted to know about glasgow ,hope you enjoy your time here

yeah i've seen the site before. with the article alone, i can see how beautiful the place is. anyway thanks.

i hope i could get comments from people who work and study there or who know someone working there.

Hello

Hi ! I managed to meet a lot of filipinos in glasgow since moving from Aberdeen to the Central belt, West Lothian to be exact and it is about 20 minutes drive to glasgow. In fact there are two filipino association in the area and you can join any if you wish. About the glaswegian togue, you don't have to worry as it will come naturally and you will understand them in no time.
    Just give us a shout if you need assistance when you come over!

All the best !

Quote Originally Posted by Aikingmahal View Post
    About the glaswegian togue, you don't have to worry as it will come naturally and you will understand them in no time.
    True! And before you know it, you'll be talking the "lingo" in a Glaswegian dialect yourself ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information