Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
That reminds me a word of warning to everyone, if your network does not automatically block or warn about online 3G/GPRS data access while roaming SWITCH IT OFF when you get to Manila.

I was well aware of data roaming charges and I was well aware of how my GPRS phone at the time behaved in Manila and I was always certain that data was only on if I had specifically requested it.

That was until late December 2007 when I was using a GPS (navigation app) called Mapking which even although it did not need or use it somehow managed to switch the GPRS connection back on.

I woke up on the 31st of December 2007 looking at my phone which had nothing running in Task Manager (Windows Mobile) clocking up 90kbps on spb GPRS monitor. It had been doing that for quite a few hours and the download monitor had it clocked at 167MB sadly this it turned out was not the first time on that trip and my total bill came in at £1600.

Never managed to get out of it despite months of arguments with O2, I can promise you that this was a rogue process of some kind, whether it was the GPS app that had switched on the data or something else, virus, god knows what, fact is the phone was sitting there in a loop nothing running no storage being used just running flat out in GPRS traffic, I've never felt so sick in my life when I looked at those log files. :(

So disable all HSDPA/3G/GPRS functionality of your phone the minute you step off the plane in Manila better still switch to your local phone and turn off your British one immediately you arrive.

This was my twelfth trip by the way, never had a problem before as I was always religiously careful with the phones.

Jim
If I got a bill like that, I have no idea what I'd do (after screaming all sorts of things to the poor sap who took my call)

But thanks for the heads up! I'll be carefull if I go over with my blackberry.