Thread: Can I look after a computer in the Philippines?

Exclamation Can I look after a computer in the Philippines?

Hi all,
    Firstly I am only a home computer user; I use Windows XP Professional on a desktop tower, with Office 2007.
    My wife (with me paying) has just bought a laptop in the Philippines that has XP Home on it.
    This is for her to keep in touch with family when she joins me in the UK in a few weeks.
    I know there is some sort of remote assistance possible, but could this be easily enabled there so I could at least make sure anti virus is run along with the windows firewall etc?
    The wife’s siblings can all use a computer but as this has always been in a cafe, know nothing about anti virus even.
    Thanks,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Hi all,
    Firstly I am only a home computer user; I use Windows XP Professional on a desktop tower, with Office 2007.
    My wife (with me paying) has just bought a laptop in the Philippines that has XP Home on it.
    This is for her to keep in touch with family when she joins me in the UK in a few weeks.
    I know there is some sort of remote assistance possible, but could this be easily enabled there so I could at least make sure anti virus is run along with the windows firewall etc?
    The wife’s siblings can all use a computer but as this has always been in a cafe, know nothing about anti virus even.
    Thanks,
    Mick.
    In my experience (as an IT Tech) kids will do what kids will do and if something pops up on the screen telling them they've won the lottery, they'll click on it, or if they visit some dodgy website and see "free download" they'll click on it. The only thing you can do is get an all round program like Norton Internet Security and try to set it up to automatically update whenever the laptop is online. You say that this is for her to keep in touch with her family, but you know that chatting on yahoo, sending emails or using Skype is not likely to cause any problems, it's the other things it will be used for that's likely to get it screwed up.

Check out how to set up remote assistance here. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxprmass.html

Iain.

instead of paying for an anti-virus solution or slowing down comp considerably by using norton may i suggest you ask your wife to download avg free........go to downloads.com and search there. it,s free and classed as one of the best anti-virus programs out there. i,d certainly check download.com for any other free applications needed... not a comp buff here but been using one for yrs. once installed norton is very hard to remove and slows comp down a lot.. i,ve tried it and won,t get bitten again

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by badrock View Post
    instead of paying for an anti-virus solution or slowing down comp considerably by using norton may i suggest you ask your wife to download avg free........go to downloads.com and search there. it,s free and classed as one of the best anti-virus programs out there. i,d certainly check download.com for any other free applications needed... not a comp buff here but been using one for yrs. once installed norton is very hard to remove and slows comp down a lot.. i,ve tried it and won,t get bitten again
    oh..i thought can only download 30 days trial ?
    CRITICIZING OTHERS IS A DANGEROUS THING, NOT SO MUCH BECAUSE YOU MAY MAKE MISTAKES ABOUT THEM, BUT BECAUSE YOU MAY BE REVEALING THE TRUTH ABOUT YOURSELF.

pumpkins babykins

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks,
    Mick.
    As a software developer I agree with Iain, the kids will find some way to screw it up.

The problem with Remote Assitance is that it requires a request to be issued from the remote PC and that requires someone there that can understand how to issue the request in the first place, plus if the machine is already toast as a result of a virus then you won't get that far.

Other alternatives are to set up a Real VNC server on the laptop, there is a free edition available http://www.realvnc.com/

The only problem with Real VNC is that you need to know the IP address of the remote PC and this will change, you could get round that by installing a Dynamic DNS client but now we are starting to get into complexities that I suspect you want to avoid.

Direct Microsoft Remote Desktop has the same drawbacks as VNC you need to know the IP address,

Another possibility is a service like "Log Me In"

https://secure.logmein.com/UK/home.aspx

This is a good option as it get round the IP address issue but it's a pay service.

Finally Microsoft Live Mesh is a free solution that has a mechanism similar to Log Me In (you don't need to know the remote IP Address), it also gives you 5GB of free online storage, it's still in beta but it is very stable and I think microsoft have stated that it will remain free!

https://www.mesh.com/welcome/default.aspx

I love live mesh it's the best remote management and sync solution I have ever used, it's basically Remote Desktop without the need for dynamic DNS plus you can activate or deactivate the remote console (keyboard and screen) at the same time as you are remote controlling it whcih makes it like VNC as well.

Jim

nope...avg is still free

I dont like Norton it hogs the resources too much.
    Try avg as suggested.

Easiest method for a remote connection is
    "Teamviewer"
    Code:
    http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
    Its free for personal use and easy to use.
    I have used it to sort out problems on our families pc in Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    Other alternatives are to set up a Real VNC server on the laptop, there is a free edition available http://www.realvnc.com/

The only problem with Real VNC is that you need to know the IP address of the remote PC and this will change, you could get round that by installing a Dynamic DNS client but now we are starting to get into complexities that I suspect you want to avoid.
    Your IP Helper Program v3.4, i haven't tried it yet, it does many things ..

Can notify you by email whenever your IP Address changes!
    Great for Remote Desktop, FTP, Webservers, PC Anywhere, etc!
    Automatically refreshes your IP Address at an interval you
    specify! Minimizes to the taskbar and runs silently until you
    need it!

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    In my experience (as an IT Tech) kids will do what kids will do and if something pops up on the screen telling them they've won the lottery, they'll click on it, or if they visit some dodgy website and see "free download" they'll click on it. The only thing you can do is get an all round program like Norton Internet Security and try to set it up to automatically update whenever the laptop is online. You say that this is for her to keep in touch with her family, but you know that chatting on yahoo, sending emails or using Skype is not likely to cause any problems, it's the other things it will be used for that's likely to get it screwed up.

Check out how to set up remote assistance here. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxprmass.html

Iain.
    I agree to Iain

just to add tell your wife to create user account and PASSWORD for the Primary User of the computer so she/he can restrict who will be using the computer
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Your IP Helper Program v3.4, i haven't tried it yet, it does many things ..

Can notify you by email whenever your IP Address changes!
    Great for Remote Desktop, FTP, Webservers, PC Anywhere, etc!
    Automatically refreshes your IP Address at an interval you
    specify! Minimizes to the taskbar and runs silently until you
    need it!
    That's a great idea!!

I wish I had thought of that I could have written it easily

The number of times I had to talk Ana through opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig and we had dynamic DNS but PLDT's modem was so bad that it often would not be visible before the Dynamic DNS client timed out.

Actually this raises a point as it remined me that, even with Dynamic DNS, VNC and Remote Desktop are blocked on the Smart Bro 3G modem and as such I am not sure what else is blocked by the Wireless Internet providers in the Phils.

PLDT if you are lucky enough to get it is pretty much a standard ISP albeit a pretty poor one and most things are not blocked but the other networks might be a problem.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    That's a great idea!!

I wish I had thought of that I could have written it easily

The number of times I had to talk Ana through opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig and we had dynamic DNS but PLDT's modem was so bad that it often would not be visible before the Dynamic DNS client timed out.

Actually this raises a point as it remined me that, even with Dynamic DNS, VNC and Remote Desktop are blocked on the Smart Bro 3G modem and as such I am not sure what else is blocked by the Wireless Internet providers in the Phils.

PLDT if you are lucky enough to get it is pretty much a standard ISP albeit a pretty poor one and most things are not blocked but the other networks might be a problem.

Jim
    Indeed remoting in can be a pain and of course there is the time difference issues as well as connection issues and end users not understanding what is needed of them. Do you have family mebers who understand English well enough to listen to you on the phone?

Sometimes your work pc can help I have Web ex on mine which is ridiclously expensive for an indivudal but dead handy to use.

As shown loads of different options so worth having a read of them.

Rather than just remoting in when an issue it maybe worth performing regular checks. If you can lock the pc down dont let as others say let all users have admin rights which is the biggest mistake many people make.

At the end of the day as i have mentioned before a ghost disk set up which once put in basically wipes the pc and loads it all back up again as it was. With all personal documents and files kept seperately is another option.
    Takes some time but normally means all is well although newer ghost disks have to be made now and then with updated software etc to ensure hours are not taken later updating.

As Jim mentions the first battle is to access the device remotely. From having it on, getting the user to help you can you find a time when its convient for both of you. The phone bill if you need to talk them though it on the phone.

Best thing to do is like Dom found find a local computer expert or repair shop. While you can help or prepare disks on somethings for the effort a computer literate person having a few mintues hands on time is far simpler.
    At least knowing they are there means you have a back up if all else fails.

Its hard enough talking experts though issues sometimes let alone people possibly via a translator on a long distance line. Often computer and networking issues still need a person to actual be there.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

just get 2 cans and a bit of string?
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    just get 2 cans and a bit of string?
    I guess soon there be a string and can tax
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Thread Information