Thread: quality of living in UK vs Canada vs Australia vs USA

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Smile quality of living in UK vs Canada vs Australia vs USA

anyone can give their comment with regards to quality of living in UK vs Canada vs Australia vs USA

Unless we'd lived in all 4 we wouldn't really know.

But I'd say the US beats them all, cheaper & lower taxes, plus great weather if you live in Nevada/Arizona.

Aus is hard to get into, Canada can reach -40 in the winter, and the UK ...nuff said
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Agree with that. For all the bad press the US gets it is a great place to live (was there for 3 months when it was $2 to the pound). Great food, friendly people, agreeable weather, amazing national parks and scenery.

Banned
    My husband is obsessed to drive a long haul truck in Canada, he said his wages will be doubled/tripled. He was assigned there for years during his army days and not too much high cost of living.
    It will be fine for me to stay here, Canada, USA, Philippines!

Many years ago a friend of mine and his wife went to live in Australia and I was amazed at the difference in their lifestyle there in comparison to when they lived in the UK.

He was a car mechanic at a Volvo main dealership and she was a nurse working in the NHS. In the UK they used to live in a 2 up 2 down terraced house and they had a second hand Volvo car which they shared. They also used to scrimp and save most of the time just to be able to have a couple of decent holidays abroad, 1 week in the spring and 2 weeks in the summer.

When they came back here for a holiday they showed me pics of their house which was a four bedroomed detatched with a double carport for their 2 cars and they had a lifestyle to match with lots of holidays abroad and it seems plenty of money left over after their outgoings to have a really good social life and really enjoy themselves.

As in the UK, in Australia he was working as a car mechanic at a Ford main dealership and she was working as a nurse at a local hospital, but it seems the similarities end there.
    Iain.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    thanks guys...me and my family are already here in australia...but we want to try other countries like uk, canada and the usa..i'd like to get some ideas or suggestions from the uk people how is it living there...

Quote Originally Posted by docjun01 View Post
    thanks guys...me and my family are already here in australia...but we want to try other countries like uk, canada and the usa..i'd like to get some ideas or suggestions from the uk people how is it living there...
    Forget the UK....... unless your rich......

Respected Member
    [QUOTE=docjun01;179921]anyone can give their comment with regards to quality of living in UK vs Canada vs Australia vs USA[/QUO

My husband was live in New york for five years and after our wedding i went there for 2 years..it was nice experience but just very difficult because we far a from my husband's relatives..its expensive but all i like there was the transpotation you can buy a $20 metrocard and you can used that in a week... you can go anywhere in NY as long as u will take train ur bus...compare here it is very expensive....the tax there it bit expensive also compare to another states...but during winter the snow is mad....the reason we moved here is our son the education here is better than there..my husband is british...

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Forget the UK....... unless your rich......
    50% tax now so forget it if you're rich
    Keith - Administrator

anyone can give their comment with regards to quality of living in UK vs Canada vs Australia vs USA
    Haven't been to Australia where, I believe, the standard of living is high ... temperatures likewise (too hot for me, though!)] ... but it's also too BIG, with vast areas of desert covering much of the interior.

As regards Canada: Visited Vancouver, only. A beautiful, modern city ... most of which grew-up rapidly during the 20th century ... where there's little evidence of "anything" dating back more than 100 years. Have, however, travelled extensively throughout the USA: Exciting, with a great deal of variation from State to State, in terms of both environment and climate. Spectacular too, in many different ways - though I tend to favour the quieter, more laid-back lifestyle of the West Coast, as opposed to the constant hustle and bustle of the likes of New York.

But, above all, it HAS to be for ME - 'Jockland' in particular! Okay, the weather's crap, the Government similarly so; I could go on ad infinitum about our nation's shortcomings, BUT where ELSE on the planet would humankind be able to avail itself of the ONE vital service that is envied worldwide: the FREE [for the most part] British NHS?!

You're most welcome! And greetings to you on joining our friendly forum. As you'll have noticed, there is already divided opinion on the pros and cons of living in the UK ... and doubtless, this trend will continue as the thread progresses.

I fancy japan!

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Having spent over 4 months in USA, traveling in a motor-home (Winnebago type) about 25,000 miles. I would not give you tuppence for USA compared with Europe, boring countryside that goes on the same for miles and miles, if not days, without variation, and Oh yes the average American, who thinks the 'world' is his town or, if you are lucky, maybe his State, and that nothing of any value exists outside USA.

This is just a personal view of course!

I love being in the UK

It's a priviledge to be here me thinks

Tish

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    50% tax now so forget it if you're rich
    Yes, but the tories are likely to be in power soon and I'm sure they'll find lots of ways to compensate all of those poor unfortunate people who find themselves caught up in the 50% tax bracket.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tish View Post
    I love being in the UK

It's a priviledge to be here me thinks

Tish
    you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Yes, but the tories are likely to be in power soon and I'm sure they'll find lots of ways to compensate all of those poor unfortunate people who find themselves caught up in the 50% tax bracket.
    Like putting it back to where it was before Gordon screwed up the countries finances.
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    Everywhere is better then the UK. Canada is fantastic (service is great too), America has some great bits. I love the Florida Keys and Seattle is great in Summer too. NY is just a bit too much for me, but shopping at Macy's etc at Christmas is good.
    Have to admit, we're considering out options at the moment. We would have enough points for Aussie :-) , also looked at Hong Kong (property is expensive though).
    Canada is too cold in winter for my liking, but others love it. Wouldn't know where to start with emigrating to the USA, plus it feels like one big dartboard target for enemies!

Respected Member
    oh yeah, and don't goto Alaska! It's crap crap crap crap crap

Banned
    Everyone's circumstances are so different.
    It is hard to comment except from one's own perspective.

I lived in the USA for 5 years, worked in Oz for 3 months and visited Canada.
    My opinion is that I would not go back to the States, Canada looked better than the USA but is still too similar and Oz looked very relaxed and the houses were so cheap as Iain pointed out.
    The UK is almost as stressed out as the USA.

Oz is so far away though

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    ....Wouldn't know where to start with emigrating to the USA, plus it feels like one big dartboard target for enemies!
    It's easy, but it is best to keep residence in the UK, and have a 'holiday' home in the US.

As for enemies, we've had many more terrorist attacks in the UK than the whole of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    oh yeah, and don't goto Alaska! It's crap crap crap crap crap
    Not if you like geology, and nice views
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Oz is so far away though
    A heck of a lot closer to "Panaginip's" home, tho.....

Canada is great,except when I arrived last time it was -30 Love the wide open spaces,Houses are cheap as chips,and the trout fishing is world class.My memories of Australia were from a single visit when my mate got stoned and pi**ed at a BBQ on Frazer island and fell into the fire He has some fantastic holiday skin-graft souvenirs on his legs America is huge,Florida is fantastic,California is like being in a first world Pinas,especially parts of Sacramento,everyone was pinay or latin american I stayed with an american serviceman,odd sort of guy who warned me not to wander around on my own and always be carefull I must be in the minority(apart from asylum seeking afghanis and Iraqis)because I actually like the UK,lifes good
    Ricky,HK property is Uber-expensive,but its an incredible place to live,it was a pleasure to wake up each morning,I sometimes wonder why I left,I had the option of staying after the handover,hindsight is a wonderful thing

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    As for enemies, we've had many more terrorist attacks in the UK than the whole of the US.

I don't know why it seems that people who settle in USA, adopt it as `their country' and are forever singing the praises of 'Uncle Sam.'

Whereas, people often settle in UK but still fail to become British in their minds, and many cannot wait to leave on their retirement and return to their 'home county' with very little good to say about the country which made their future possible.

My mother was from Northern Ireland, my ex wife from Eire. Both lived practically their whole lives in England but neither of them, nor other members of their families, ever thought of them as anything but Irish and ran down England at every opportunity.

Doesn't anyone retire to Blackpool anymore?
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Doesn't anyone retire to Blackpool anymore?
    Yes, the entire populations of scotland and Ireland judging by the accents.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    A heck of a lot closer to "Panaginip's" home, tho.....
    Right again, Dom

Thread Information