The Housing Act 1985 contains statutory definitions of overcrowding in residential housing. The ECO should bear in mind, as Pakistan 2004 UKAIT 000066 says, that adequacy of accommodation must be assessed on an individual basis. It is not enough to equate adequacy with overcrowding.

A house is considered to be overcrowded if 2 persons aged 10 years or more of opposite sexes, who are not living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room. The Act also details the maximum number of people allowed for a given number of rooms or a given room floor area.

Account is taken only of rooms with a floor area larger than 50 square feet and rooms of a type used either as a living room or bedroom.

Rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms are excluded.

Under the Housing Act, the number of people sleeping in accommodation must not exceed the following:

Number of rooms Maximum number
of people allowed

1 2
2 3
3 5
4 7.5
5 10

----------------------

living room can also considered as bedroom right??? so if there are 3 bedrooms and 1 living room it'll be counted as 4 and it can accommodate 7.5 person?? but only 5 is living in the house (all of them are my in-laws)... 6 including me (if ever)... a couple, 2 teenager (a boy and a girl) and my hubby... i don't know if its too risky or not but my hubby said that it'll will be considered as 4 bedroom house. we cant afford to rent our own flat at these moment we have no choice but to live with my in-laws.. we do have all the documents needed including the savings worth £4000 and he is currently working in a callcenter in central london for 1 1/2 year earning more than £1000 a month. Hope that will be okay.... I dont know if a have a chance for my visa to be granted but i really hope soo....