Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my NHS and Post office experiences

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

my NHS and Post office experiences

I have read quite a few times here that there were some members who were able to register in NHS even under a fiancee visa. Well, needless to say, I tried.

We went to the Newton Heath Health center yesterday to register me. They were polite... gave us the registration forms and have told Simon that he needs to register there too so that I can get registered as well (he is currently registered in Chadderton where he previously lived and didn't bother changing doctors). And so he did... but he didn't bring an ID and a billing statement (they required these as part of the registration process) so we told the receptionist that we'll come back the next day for the documents.

We then went to the post office to have my US dollars changed to pounds. I was the one who talked to the guy on the window and he said: Did you get the dollars from here?.. I said: No... he said: well, in that case I can't change it for you. We only change the dollars that were bought from here... hmmm... is that strange or is that how things really work here? So anyway, off we go and went home... by the way, the bank here also told me that they don't change currencies...

The next day, we went back to the health center to submit the registration forms...

Receptionist said: thank you sir but we can only regiter you andnot your gf. My bf said: why?
    Receptionist: well, she needs to submit proof that she lives with you.
    BF: Like what?
    Receptionist: A proof of billing perhaps?
    BF: Well, all my bills are under my name... she just got here...
    Receptionist: well, you need to give us proof that she lives with you

I find it funny though... you think? Bf think it's so stupid.... I'm it sure though if it's a national requirement or just unique to Manchester?

So, we were unsuccessful. We plan to have one of his bills change to my name... add my name into his Halifax account too just in case.... but I hope they will not question why I am not using my fiance's surname... they might point that out you see...

We wentback to the post office and this time, it's Simon who went in to try having my dollars changed. Well... he was unsuccessful too... the man in the post office asked if he got the dollars from there... my bf said, yes.. and the guy asked, do you have the receipt... bf said, no.. i don't have it anymore.. then the guy said, oh ok. I can't change your money then.. go to a travel agent...

Oh boy... there's no travel agency nearby...

I then miss the money changers in the Philippines...

with the doctors,they need prove that your entitled to get heatlh care...just try to fulfill all the requirements.

as for getting your money changed i have never used a post office for it,i guess a travel agent would be the only place?

how do you find the weather and your new surrounding?
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Banned
    BAB! yeah... i asked the receptionist and she said they just need proof that i live in the same address.. a letter, bank account, or a billing address...

the weather seems okay thus far.. not too cold... hehehe... hope it will remain until the end of winter ( I wish lol)!

Florge

... change your money at Marks & Spencer. Most of the larger branches have
    a foreign currency service. The rates are competitive, and no questions asked.

They will even change Eur500 notes without any ID or questions, unlike any other
    bank here
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    the weather seems okay thus far.. not too cold... hehehe... hope it will remain until the end of winter ( I wish lol)!
    hehehe ...current weather not quite the same as October ! Hope you have hat, scarf, gloves, coat, second coat...

Respected Member
    I have read quite a few times here that there were some members who were able to register in NHS even under a fiancee visa. Well, needless to say, I tried.

We went to the Newton Heath Health center yesterday to register me. They were polite... gave us the registration forms and have told Simon that he needs to register there too so that I can get registered as well (he is currently registered in Chadderton where he previously lived and didn't bother changing doctors). And so he did... but he didn't bring an ID and a billing statement (they required these as part of the registration process) so we told the receptionist that we'll come back the next day for the documents.

We then went to the post office to have my US dollars changed to pounds. I was the one who talked to the guy on the window and he said: Did you get the dollars from here?.. I said: No... he said: well, in that case I can't change it for you. We only change the dollars that were bought from here... hmmm... is that strange or is that how things really work here? So anyway, off we go and went home... by the way, the bank here also told me that they don't change currencies...

The next day, we went back to the health center to submit the registration forms...

Receptionist said: thank you sir but we can only regiter you andnot your gf. My bf said: why?

I find it funny though... you think? Bf think it's so stupid.... I'm it sure though if it's a national requirement or just unique to Manchester?

So, we were unsuccessful. We plan to have one of his bills change to my name... add my name into his Halifax account too just in case.... but I hope they will not question why I am not using my fiance's surname... they might point that out you see...

We wentback to the post office and this time, it's Simon who went in to try having my dollars changed. Well... he was unsuccessful too... the man in the post office asked if he got the dollars from there... my bf said, yes.. and the guy asked, do you have the receipt... bf said, no.. i don't have it anymore.. then the guy said, oh ok. I can't change your money then.. go to a travel agent...

sorry to hear about this sis, hope it will be sorted out in the next few days....
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Respected Member
    Definately mixed results when trying to register with a doctor when here on fiancee visa. We had no problems even though I hadn't been to see my doctor for almost 20 years, though I know others have had problems.

You may find registering with a bank not that easy either.. They usually want proof of address as well.

Banks

I found LloydsTSB to be the most accommodating.

If you are an account holder, you can effectively "vouch" for your wife / fiancee.
    And they'll set up an account for her.
    They merely photocopied the relevant pages of her password.

.... also, you get a letter from them (addressed to your wife) confirming the account,
    which you then can use to register with the NHS.
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    hahaha, welcome to england the land of proof of address
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    computer says no

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    to be sure that you are entitled to what you are claiming you need those...that's just right don't you think

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    to be sure that you are entitled to what you are claiming you need those...that's just right don't you think
    Or it could like Philippines where you can`t even buy something for 500 pesos from an electrical store without having to provide this and that and attend different counters
    Of course you should prove you address and its good that they check.
    As for the currency, well you have to accept that here in Uk people don`t really change money that much. Usually they go to the bank and withdraw their wages! Job done.
    In The Philippines its normal to receive money from family or someone overseas whereas here its not so other than going/returning to/from holiday then changing money isn`t usual.

So sorry to hear that Florge,I have not been encountered those problems in ma life here as only on visit visa,hope you will sort it out soon,best regards

Strange that we all rant on here when they used to let anyone abuse the system, so we can't complain now that they have checks in place for the NHS.

As for the PO, they only buy back those they sell, otherwise you need a travel agent or bank.
    Keith - Administrator

NHS is the best thing happened for most of my filipino friends 2 of them gave birth here thru ceasarian no bills to pay my friend husband already got a cancer (Phils) she get him here as her dependant I think for 5 months he managed to work then the cancer get worst so for a year he spend most of his time in the hospital (ICU) in and out (not a single penny to pay) then she applied for cancer research for financial help application approved she's receiving £500 a month that time. (I post it here before, sadly he died).

so, NHS is the best, you can't get that in Phils. For my almost 6 years I haven't use NHS yet aside from seeing my Doctors once a year

Hi Florge,

Re converting the USD to Pound Sterling, i was able to do that. We went to Natwest.

With regards to registering with NHS, well i was successful also, no problems. My husband did it for me. I just received my card in the post.

It is advisable to add your name to Simon's utility bills so if they need from you supporting docs as evidence that you're living together then there would be no problem at all.

Welcome to the UK Florge. Hope you will sort this out soon.

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

hi everyone im arl.ive been here in England for over 2 weeks for a fiancee visa.its quite cold here and its getting colder and colder each day but im beginning to like it.(with the help of thick coat,boots on and gloves).i have finally met the family of my husband to be and they are seems so nice to me.weve have been so busy the past few days u know shoppings and go sight seeing.i have found this country so green,hassle free i mean no traffic here,nice food yet big servings(yum yum food at harvester) Although far different from the Phils.it looks so quite here.and im enjoying now the england life here with my hubby my ducky.i love him as much i do to myself.he brought me to the newcastle under lyme clinic.at first i thought it is not possible for me to avail it.\but they are all nice,approachable and accomadating.They just asked for my passport to photocopy it. and i got my appointment with them. Yesterday,i submitted the urine tube for the diabetic test and also just have lil interview from ms.yvonne the very nice nurse there.

Keep on trying,i know it will be okay soon yours.Try and try until u succeed!Mabuhay ka!

God bless all!

Thanks and best regards,

Ken& Arl

oh dear sorry about that Florge, in my experience registering at NHS was quick and easy.my fiance asked them if it's possible to register my FUTURE FILIPINA WIFE FOR NHS? and they replied yes it's possible and they gave us the form then I filled it up completely and got my NHS card after a week, i guess some NHS centre has different procedure or probably depends on the receptionist mood and now I'm impress and feel secured coz I'm experiencing free medications (cont.pills and antibiotics for my ingrown toenail remember), but still can't get away with the legal complication u know.

In regards opening account yes as fiancee it's very difficult I tried many banks but asking for billing add as for proof of add the only easy way was HSBC passport account but you need to pay monthly charged

But now I managed to submit (personally) what they wanted as an alternative for billing add was my GP letter (from NHS) certifying my home address and of course my passport with the stamped visa in it, at HSBC bank btw it's current account (no need to pay monthly charged like HSBC passport) , I'm not sure yet if it will be successful have to wait for a week or 2 tell Simon not to mention GF use my future wife or my fiancee maybe it helps to convinced them easily well just IMHO

Goodluck sis
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Banned
    thanks guys... maybe i just have to do as they say... have asked my sister to send me a letter so that i can use it as proof of address... will also go online and ask for free catalogues to be mailed to my address...

oh well... welcome indeed to UK... hehehe...

Respected Member
    thanks guys... maybe i just have to do as they say... have asked my sister to send me a letter so that i can use it as proof of address... will also go online and ask for free catalogues to be mailed to my address...

Not sure personal letters and free catalogues will count as proof of address. When my wife needed proof of address she ended up applying for a provisional driving license even though she didn't though plan to drive straightaway.

letter and catalogues as proof of address for NHS registration not sure about it but for opening bank account it's not allowed.
    yea sis have to agree with Maria welcome to the land of proof of address
    Don't make promises when you are in JOY. Don't reply when you are SAD.
    Don't take decisions when you are ANGRY. Think twice, Act wise. BE happy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAHnew View Post
    letter and catalogues as proof of address for NHS registration not sure about it but for opening bank account it's not allowed.
    yea sis have to agree with Maria welcome to the land of proof of address
    for the NHS, they need a letter or a billing address under my name.. for the bank account, well I have decided to open one when I get my flr... no need for that as of yet really...

You need OFFICIAL proof, utilities bills, other bills, banks, rent, hospital appointments, etc, anything else isn't proof.
    Keith - Administrator

get yourself added to the council tax bill and get a new one sent out,thats the quickest way to get a bill with proof of address.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    get yourself added to the council tax bill and get a new one sent out,thats the quickest way to get a bill with proof of address.
    if that's the case, would we pay additional for that?

if that's the case, would we pay additional for that?
    no,get your finance to phone the office and get the bill changed to both your names and ask for a new bill,you should get the new bill within a week but we have a postal strike

there should be no additional charge

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    no,get your finance to phone the office and get the bill changed to both your names and ask for a new bill,you should get the new bill within a week but we have a postal strike

there should be no additional charge
    Assuming of course if he was claiming a discount for single person occupancy that he has already notified them that he is no longer living alone.

If he is still getting the discount he must notifiy them as I know of people who didn't and when it came to applying for visas (ILR) it caused them problems. Plus of course he would be breaking the law anyway...

Respected Member

Hi Florge I was on a Fiance visa when I came here (its Marriage visa in passport) but never had a problem registering with the health centre and changing the $ , perhaps everything has changed now. As much as possible change all bills in both your names. Hope you loving it here.
    If it's not life threatening IGNORE it .. .

Banned
    thanks... he'll be visiting his bank today and will ask them to include my name into his account.. and would call tiscali to change/include my name in the bill as well, but the thing is, shall we retain our surnames or I use his surname?

thanks... he'll be visiting his bank today and will ask them to include my name into his account.. and would call tiscali to change/include my name in the bill as well, but the thing is, shall we retain our surnames or I use his surname?
    a bit of a pain but best to use your single names i guess,then change them again after you marry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information