Thread: Big Move

Big Move

Its all about my big move to Melborne Australia.

Most of my friends adviced me to wait till i apply for my citizenship in May 2010 before I decided to move to Australia. My job offer in Australia can only wait till January 2010, so if pass the medical in 2 weeks times from now I am heading to Australia next year. Some of my friends disappointed with my decision (almost 6 years being together is something to cherrish of course) some think I'm a bit stupid bec we waited for 5 years to get an ILR (after all the changes in HO and a lot of worries on those 5 years) why I can't wait for a few months to apply for my citizenship then decide after that.

Some of my friends advice, is, if I go to Australia in January go back to UK in 3 months time then apply for my citizenship as I should not be outside the UK for morethan 3 months.

My questions are:
    Do you think when I go back in 3 months and apply for BC?

Do I need to have a job in UK to qualify? Or Do I need to tell the HO that I am currently working in Australia in applying BC?

How about my address in UK, if I'm going to stay with my friend's house when I go back for let say 2 weeks then use NCS so I can have my passport back?

If approved, what will happen to my old passport is it still valid or not?

Sorry too many questions. I don't want to think that I am doing this and by applying BC by deception Another setback is if my application is approved i have to go back in UK for my oathtaking. Just thinking all of this is like hitting a Its not only the application but how much money I am going to spend going back from Australia to UK. I am very excited with this move and it is a big decision for me.

Follow your instincts Cheese,sure your friends will miss you,but your not living this life for or through them,your living it for you,whats best and in your interests,who knows Mr Cheese could well turn out to be antipodean,good luck in whatever venture you follow and wherever the wind takes you,you were always ok

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    First to apply for British Citizenship you are stating that you plan to live in the UK and need to state time spent time outside of the UK and reason why. Also you need to state your employment - if you state you are still working they may check, and if you state you aren't working they may wonder why. If you state you are working in Australia they will definately want to know what you are doing in Australia. Someone on here who applied using NCS may comment if they photocopied all pages from their passport (including visas from other countries...).

The form states.. "WARNING: To give false information on this form knowingly or recklessly is a criminal offence punishable with up to 3 months' imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both."

Do you want to take that risk?

Also yes as soon as you attend the British Citizenship ceremony technically your Philippines passport is no longer valid, though the chances are you would get away using it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    Gee Whiz, Cheesewiz ... it's a BIG step to take! So many things to consider. Decisions, decisions, eh? Alas I cannot advise you one way or the other as regards the matter of your British Citizenship, since my wife hasn't reached that stage yet. But I WOULD agree with Tawi's philosophy ... it's YOUR life! And I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you decide.

Follow your heart! You're friends can just merely give their opinions but the final say will come from you. Whatever you think is best for you, go for it!
    Though you do not write books, you are the writer of your life. Because everything depends on YOU.

Banned
    Sounds confusing for me, because I see some Thai here married to British and prefered to move here. They said much better here, there's NHS, loads of benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    First to apply for British Citizenship you are stating that you plan to live in the UK and need to state time spent time outside of the UK and reason why. Also you need to state your employment - if you state you are still working they may check, and if you state you aren't working they may wonder why. If you state you are working in Australia they will definately want to know what you are doing in Australia. Someone on here who applied using NCS may comment if they photocopied all pages from their passport (including visas from other countries...).

The form states.. "WARNING: To give false information on this form knowingly or recklessly is a criminal offence punishable with up to 3 months' imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both."

Also yes as soon as you attend the British Citizenship ceremony technically your Philippines passport is no longer valid, though the chances are you would get away using it.
    And your citizenship can be revoked as well.

No idea what to decide for you,

But I am wishing you the best

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    And your citizenship can be revoked as well.
    Undoubtedly and the Australian Immigration may not be too impressed if they found out either.

Worse case scenario is ending up with no job or visa for the UK or Australia.

you've got ILR cheesewiz, you can be out of the uk nearly 2yrs b4 you've got problems. so you could go to oz for 3 or 6 months see how it goes, thou the uk is suppose to be your home

but you will probably not be able to apply for citizenship if your out of the uk more than 3 months in the last yr of your qualifying period, you'll have to wait until you can apply for citizenship, that wait will depend on how long your out of the uk...

Residential requirements

To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

* have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
    * have been present in the United Kingdom five years before the date of your application; and
    * have not spent more than 450 days outside the United Kingdom during the five year period; and
    * have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
    * have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the five-year period

also

Immigration time restrictions

You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you make your naturalisation application. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.

thanks darren, don't worry breaking the law is the last thing i will do. for almost 6 years i would say i'd been a good citizen of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    you've got ILR cheesewiz, you can be out of the uk nearly 2yrs b4 you've got problems. so you could go to oz for 3 or 6 months see how it goes, thou the uk is suppose to be your home

but you will probably not be able to apply for citizenship if your out of the uk more than 3 months in the last yr of your qualifying period, you'll have to wait until you can apply for citizenship, that wait will depend on how long your out of the uk...
    [/COLOR][/B]
    thanks joe as always

if i pass my medical definitely i am going to Australia, for my almost 6 years here I already think that UK is my second home, I adapted the way of life and definitely I will miss the UK. I decided to accept the job bec I know anytime within 2 years I can go back here if I want to.

Just incase Im out of the UK let say 1 year or 1 1/2 years then I decided to go back here for good, do you think the immigration will stop me or question me why I'm out of the country that long? And when should I be qualify for BC if Im out of the country for a year ( I got my ILR 25 May 2009) or do you think i will be included on the new earned citizenship?

Many thanks

Respected Member
    thanks joe as always

if i pass my medical definitely i am going to Australia, for my almost 6 years here I already think that UK is my second home, I adapted the way of life and definitely I will miss the UK. I decided to accept the job bec I know anytime within 2 years I can go back here if I want to.

Just incase Im out of the UK let say 1 year or 1 1/2 years then I decided to go back here for good, do you think the immigration will stop me or question me why I'm out of the country that long? And when should I be qualify for BC if Im out of the country for a year ( I got my ILR 25 May 2009) or do you think i will be included on the new earned citizenship?

Many thanks
    They may question you if you are out of the country for a year or so but they shouldn't stop you entering the UK. If you are out of the UK for less than 450 days once you've been back here for 9 months you should be eligible for British citizenship under the current rules as long as you apply by I think july 2013. If though you are out of the country for more than 450 days you'll have to wait 5 years and you'll definately have to apply under the new rules.

They may question you if you are out of the country for a year or so but they shouldn't stop you entering the UK. If you are out of the UK for less than 450 days once you've been back here for 9 months you should be eligible for British citizenship under the current rules as long as you apply by I think july 2013. If though you are out of the country for more than 450 days you'll have to wait 5 years and you'll definately have to apply under the new rules.
    thanks a lot Darren.

Hi Ms Wiz Po, you have had some good advice.

Take the leap go to Aus and see what happens, if you dont it will always be one of these what if's which will bug you for the rest of your days?
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Thread Information