Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Cards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phone Cards

Just got one, tiger 7 pence min. phone wifey up later when she gets up, remind her to get on the plane

Quote Originally Posted by jimeve View Post
    ...remind her to get on the plane
    Keith - Administrator

Is a phone card the cheapet way for me to call a Philippine mobile number?. I have normally used my mobile but it costs £1 a minute, so our conversations are very short.

How do the cards work?

Thanks

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by englishbird View Post
    Is a phone card the cheapet way for me to call a Philippine mobile number?. I have normally used my mobile but it costs £1 a minute, so our conversations are very short.

How do the cards work?

Thanks
    Looks like it is, these are the cheapest prices I've seen.

They are all VOIP services (Voice Over Internet Protocol) you buy the card and that gives you an amount of credit on an access number in the UK.

You have to be careful because the local UK access number is often 0845 or some other 08.. number that costs a lot to call from a UK mobile.

Best to always call from a UK landline so as to keep that part as free as possible.

Apart from that it's a way of buying credit to call a UK number which is basically a computer that then allows you to make a further call to a remote number elsewhere in the world.

Sometimes the system allows one big long access number / phone number combination, sometimes you have to enter the remote phone number once the local UK computer answers your call.

Alternatives are Skype which costs around 15p a minute to call a Philippines mobile and around 10p to call a landline.

It's a complex thing to get into but there are ways of communicating cheaply.

I think I am going to try one of the Bosses cards as since Ana went back to Manila I no longer get international calls to her included in my t-mobile allowance and although I can call my Skype to go number in the UK for free (in the UK) it's still 15p a minute on the Skype part of the converstation :(

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by englishbird View Post

How do the cards work?

Thanks
    Jeezzz 1 pound a mintue!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...overseas-calls

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert...ippines-mobile
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Thanks for those links. I can't believe how cheap I can get the calls. I wont be paying a pound a minute anymore!

I picked those cheap phone cards as they default in $$$$ so as the exchange rate increases (which it is) you get more value.
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I picked those cheap phone cards as they default in $$$$ so as the exchange rate increases (which it is) you get more value.
    Aahhhhhh... Clever fella I was wondering why they were in dollars Very good idea!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Aahhhhhh... Clever fella I was wondering why they were in dollars Very good idea!
    It IS a good idea but this week, this last few days, the pound is plumeting against the dollar and as a result against the peso.

A few days ago we were at 81 peso to the pound now it's 77.6

The dollar is now at 1.627.

Pesonal view is - expect it to plummet a lot in the next few months :(

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    It IS a good idea but this week, this last few days, the pound is plumeting against the dollar and as a result against the peso.

The dollar is now at 1.627.

Pesonal view is - expect it to plummet a lot in the next few months :(

Jim
    The £/$ is just in the normal Forex 'breathing' range of 1.6-1.7 It is a fine balancing act between bad news in the UK, and then bad news in the US. It took a big fall the other day, which means it will at some point over the next few days climb. Big changes on Forex 95% of the time result in a rebound.

If Gordon Brown goes in January, it should break the 1.7 mark, otherwise it will probably be around election time.
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    The £/$ is just in the normal Forex 'breathing' range of 1.6-1.7 It is a fine balancing act between bad news in the UK, and then bad news in the US. It took a big fall the other day, which means it will at some point over the next few days climb. Big changes on Forex 95% of the time result in a rebound.

If Gordon Brown goes in January, it should break the 1.7 mark, otherwise it will probably be around election time.
    I really hope you're right Boss, 65 peso to the pound was painful last year :(

You are right about bad news thing, both sides of the Atlantic are bound together in a bad news war just now, I'm just worried that there is a lot more bad news to come in the UK.

Jim

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    One of the cheapest ways to call Phil is online using say www.voipcheap.com. That is 8 pence a minute, no connection fees. SMS are 3 pence. Both include VAT

On reflection through, a cheap per minute rate does not necessarily mean a lower bill. My wife's bill is the same as when she paid a lot per minute, its just that now she chats for a whole lot longer !

Think we will stick with 18866 or 18185 whichever is the cheaper at the time.
    Unlike the cards there is no maintenance fee to eat into the balance and calls are not rounded up to nearest 3 minutes.
    Landlines 9p (18185)
    Mobiles 12p

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivybridge View Post
    Think we will stick with 18866 or 18185 whichever is the cheaper at the time.
    Unlike the cards there is no maintenance fee to eat into the balance and calls are not rounded up to nearest 3 minutes.
    Landlines 9p (18185)
    Mobiles 12p
    As I said above:-

One of the cheapest ways to call Phil is online using say www.voipcheap.com. That is 8 pence a minute, no connection fees. SMS are 3 pence. Both include VAT.

I would add there are no extra charges, just that one must pay up front by credit/debit card, but one also gets unlimited free calls to almost the whole of the 'western world' and, which can be useful sometimes (buying on the internet for example) access to toll free calls in USA and some other countries, which are not normally available on domestic telephone services.

I have Virgin media land line and through them you can buy a add on package of 800 anywhere minutes for £30 a month which i use to call her mobile. I think thats a good deal.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiler78 View Post
    I have Virgin media land line and through them you can buy a add on package of 800 anywhere minutes for £30 a month which i use to call her mobile. I think thats a good deal.

That's 3¾ pence per min, for 26 mins per day, per month, just about beats all I would think. Pity I can't access it from Spain !

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smiler78 View Post
    I'm with Virgin media too but when i'm home and can chat in the eves because of the time difference she is in bed asleep!

Does Voipblast only work through a PC? As most times when I'll be calling her it will be during late weekday afternoons, so can't really us my work PC for that +we're not allowed to download stuff on to the PC either.

I'm a bit confused on the website as it's got for the from section: UK Mobile, UK 0845, UK National and UK personal. And for Method: PC to phone, phone to phone and Access no. I want to phone from my UK mobile to her Phils landline, so can I do this with Voipblast and if so whats the best way? I don't want to use the 0845 no. as that's expensive from mobile phones. What's the access no. in the method section?

I have used Rebtel before from my mobile to her landline and that was 9p a minute and I bought £25 worth the last time. Am trying to see if I can get a better deal than that.

Thanks for any help!

800 minutes is one phone call for a Filipino
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    800 minutes is one phone call for a Filipino
    This is from Virgin on line info:-

Talk Anywhere 800

Perfect for you if you make lots of calls to mobile phones, UK landlines and international numbers.

* 800 minutes a month to call anyone, anywhere, any time, on any phone, including UK landlines, mobile phones and international numbers

If you are buying phone cards for Filipina's with a weekly service charge, trust me, you never get to pay it they don't last that long ...and at the current exchange rate on the cards I sell it is about 4.5p/min
    Keith - Administrator

Great help this. 'Somebody,' thanks for the moneysavingexpert link, where would we be without that web site!

Respected Member
    We just signed up with www.voipblast.com. (rates are in euros, so in sterling maybe a fraction less) Calls to Phil land line or mobile 5 cents a minute + 3.9c connection fee; SMS 3 cents (thus a 20 minute call £1 or 33 SMS £1 ) SMS 3 cents.

There are also all the usual free calls as with other voip suppliers.

Respected Member
    Well we have been using www.voipblast.com for a couple of weeks now.

At first I had a problem getting the site to accept a credit card or PayPal, at last the PayPal option worked.

The calls work out at a 20 mins cal for a Euro, just a bit less than £1. That is the cheapest we have found. The sound quality is very good.

Respected Member
    South East Boy

VOIP is:- voice over internet protocol,

thus it is for use on the internet.

Sorry as we only call from PC or Laptop I cannot help re calls on mobiles. Some, maybe most or all VOIP give a facility to make phone to phone calls but fore that you need to open the prog on the PC, then instruct it to call you on your phone, when you pick up the number you are calling will be be ringing, just as if you had made the call from the phone. On Voipcheap there is a connection charge of 5p for each phone to phone call

before i was using nomi and idt sims which is not bad 8p/min for landline and mobile to phils., but now i able to save using my 02 mobile your country as when i top up 30 a month i get free 200 mins.

After spending a lot of time looking at all the phone cards on the 'Calling now' website I found the best card deals to be Worldpay-2x£5 cards for £10 and each £5 card gives you 400 minutes to Phil landlines or 300 minutes to Phil mobiles. The cards are valid for 180 days. There is a 50p connection charge on top though. The other best deal card was Maxitalk which again has 2x£5 cards, but 500 minutes to Phils landlines or 500 minutes to Phils mobiles. The cards are only valid for 30 days though. Again there is a 50p connection charge.

South-east boy - that's a very good offer. I bought the Babylon card, £10 for 10 hours, valid for 90 days. Nice one - thanks mate!

Have to say that I'm a bit confused, as when I phone Suzie on Saturday (on my mobile) it said I had 267 minutes. Now I know there is a 50p connection charge, which I wasn't sure if it came out of your minutes or was extra on top. But if it was out of my minutes, as 50p is 10% of £5, I though I might have 10% of my minutes taken off for the connection charge. As there was 400 minutes per £5, than should give me 360 minutes, not 267. Anyway I chatted to her for 2 hours and then the call suddenly ended (was cut short by the connection). 2 hours/120 minutes isn't the same as 267 minutes! So it seems that instead of me thinking I had 400 minutes, I actually only got 120! I hope, I still have the other card left and that it's not all used up?!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    Have to say that I'm a bit confused, as when I phone Suzie on Saturday (on my mobile) it said I had 267 minutes. Now I know there is a 50p connection charge, which I wasn't sure if it came out of your minutes or was extra on top. But if it was out of my minutes, as 50p is 10% of £5, I though I might have 10% of my minutes taken off for the connection charge. As there was 400 minutes per £5, than should give me 360 minutes, not 267. Anyway I chatted to her for 2 hours and then the call suddenly ended (was cut short by the connection). 2 hours/120 minutes isn't the same as 267 minutes! So it seems that instead of me thinking I had 400 minutes, I actually only got 120! I hope, I still have the other card left and that it's not all used up?!
    What number did you use to call? As I've seen different rates depending on the access number.

Wonder also if any call is restricted to 2 hours rather than you running out of minutes, though with a 50p connection charge the card is probably not got enough left to make a call now anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information