Thread: another Filipino superstition....

Respected Member pacificelectric's Avatar

another Filipino superstition....

My GF received from her eldest daughter a pair of shoes for Christmas but she told me she had to give her daughter 10 pesos, as part of a superstition so she will not stamp on her daughter's feet with the new shoes! I guess the superstition is a bit metaphorical and means that the person receiving the gift will not overpower the one giving it, and she said it is the same for all presents related to feet (shoes, socks....)!!

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificelectric View Post
    My GF received from her eldest daughter a pair of shoes for Christmas but she told me she had to give her daughter 10 pesos, as part of a superstition so she will not stamp on her daughter's feet with the new shoes! I guess the superstition is a bit metaphorical and means that the person receiving the gift will not overpower the one giving it, and she said it is the same for all presents related to feet (shoes, socks....)!!
    hmm i have not heard of that one...
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

One superstition that always scared me as a small boy was that if a pubescent teenager "Touches himself" he will go blind and all his friends will see the hairy palms of his hands and know what he does when he is alone at night scared me rigid for years,I used to shave the palms of my hands with my dads razor "Just in case"But thats a UK only superstition I think

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

In France he will go deaf and I never shaved my ears....

Banned
    yup... that's another superstition... but you can give any amount though... even one cent would be ok as long as you exchanged the shoes with money...

Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    yup... that's another superstition... but you can give any amount though... even one cent would be ok as long as you exchanged the shoes with money...

Yes, that's what my GF told me, but I guess she had given all her coins to all the children caroling at her gate these past few days:!

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    One superstition that always scared me as a small boy was that if a pubescent teenager "Touches himself" he will go blind and all his friends will see the hairy palms of his hands and know what he does when he is alone at night scared me rigid for years,I used to shave the palms of my hands with my dads razor "Just in case"But thats a UK only superstition I think
    why were u so scaredmaybe u 'touched yourself' often???
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

I bought my Filipino friend a pair of socks and he insisted on giving me a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by English Rose View Post
    I bought my Filipino friend a pair of socks and he insisted on giving me a coin.
    I may take all my old smelly socks to Phill and hand them out see how many coins i get offered

With new shoes i remeber we use to christen one anothers shoes by stamping on them
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    With new shoes i remeber we use to christen one anothers shoes by stamping on them
    I'd forgotten about that. Yeh we used to do that. Used to hurt with sandals though

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    I'd forgotten about that. Yeh we used to do that. Used to hurt with sandals though

What school did you go to with your jesus creepers on

Banned
    I don't think it was compulsory at our school but my mum used to make me wear them in the summer. They say kids can be cruel, but parents can be worse at times

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    I don't think it was compulsory at our school but my mum used to make me wear them in the summer. They say kids can be cruel, but parents can be worse at times

Did you have the velcro trainers as well Great fun those were

Banned
    Nope, Dunlop green flash for PE

Thread Information