Thread: Savings

Banned

Savings

Hi Guys,

Another thread prompted me to ask this question (and yes I know this has been asked many time before, but it is perhaps the only question where the answer could change).

How much money is required to show as savings for a visa application?

So far, I have come to believe that £2,000 savings and 6 months evidence showing that I have a stable income would be required to obtain a finance visa. I was actually planning on showing about £2,500. Also, I was going to show 6 months worth of bank statements with a gradual increase of savings over the 6 months (to indicate spare cash but also the ability to include another person in my budget).

For this I am planning to open a savings account and simply transfer a few hundred or so every month whilst showing the other account always in credit, despite any direct debits or bills paid.

Now, do I need the savings before the 6 months worth of bank statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Hi Guys,

Another thread prompted me to ask this question (and yes I know this has been asked many time before, but it is perhaps the only question where the answer could change).

How much money is required to show as savings for a visa application?

So far, I have come to believe that £2,000 savings and 6 months evidence showing that I have a stable income would be required to obtain a finance visa. I was actually planning on showing about £2,500. Also, I was going to show 6 months worth of bank statements with a gradual increase of savings over the 6 months (to indicate spare cash but also the ability to include another person in my budget).

For this I am planning to open a savings account and simply transfer a few hundred or so every month whilst showing the other account always in credit, despite any direct debits or bills paid.

Now, do I need the savings before the 6 months worth of bank statements?

As these 6 months statements are the only ones they are going to see, the only thing that matters is that you have at least seven bank statements from this account before you make your application so that you do not submit the first one, the one that shows the initial £2,500 deposit.

Banned
    So I guess I need over £2k before the 6 months worth of bank statements?

If you mean that you would like your savings to appear to grow from £2000 to £2500 over the 6 month period covered by the bank statements then yes, I suppose so.

For me just as important as bank statments is your cover letter which shows that everything is in hand when your both back in the UK. The bit which many forget.

Examples are.

Food bill will rise far more than for a british partner due to possibly wanting foods which are more expensive in the UK. Indicating you realise this helps show you are taking this seriously.

Leccy/gas bill may rise a tad more expecially in the first winter.

A entire wardrobe will need to be bought for the three seasons your mahal will never likely have experienced in her life. Plus if like my wife who was in her very early 20's she found the style of clothes in the UK so different even her summer clothes she wanted to change a little to fit in.

Phone bill may raise she will need to contact more people in phill than just you who may not be able to use computer normally the cheapest or landline, but mobile which is normally a few pence a mintue more expensive on the cheapest rates.

Also transport your Mahal will most likely if your at work all day want to get about which will mean bus/train fares and of course a little spending money.

So you take note of the actual costs which will increase, let the ECO know its all under control and has been discussed between the two of you.

Ok some are estimates but sound like you are serious.

It doesn't take much more time when preparing to do but makes you feel you have ticked every box while waiting which you will find is important as the why didn't we do that say this write that comes to the fore in application waiting time
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

no over drawn bank statements

and no statements showing large deposits, not without giving a very good reason in your letter of support :NoNo, but better not showing the deposit

so if your borrowing money from your CC or family/friend don't send the bank statement showing the money going in your account , you'll have to wait 6 months for the next 6 statements

Banned
    Hmm. This is going to take me longer than I first expected

Oh wel, they say the best things come to those who wait

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    For me just as important as bank statments is your cover letter which shows that everything is in hand when your both back in the UK. The bit which many forget.

Examples are.

Food bill will rise far more than for a british partner due to possibly wanting foods which are more expensive in the UK. Indicating you realise this helps show you are taking this seriously.

Leccy/gas bill may rise a tad more expecially in the first winter.

A entire wardrobe will need to be bought for the three seasons your mahal will never likely have experienced in her life. Plus if like my wife who was in her very early 20's she found the style of clothes in the UK so different even her summer clothes she wanted to change a little to fit in.

Phone bill may raise she will need to contact more people in phill than just you who may not be able to use computer normally the cheapest or landline, but mobile which is normally a few pence a mintue more expensive on the cheapest rates.

Also transport your Mahal will most likely if your at work all day want to get about which will mean bus/train fares and of course a little spending money.

So you take note of the actual costs which will increase, let the ECO know its all under control and has been discussed between the two of you.

Ok some are estimates but sound like you are serious.

It doesn't take much more time when preparing to do but makes you feel you have ticked every box while waiting which you will find is important as the why didn't we do that say this write that comes to the fore in application waiting time
    Very good advice, if you show the ECO that you have a complete understanding of all the extra costs this may impose on your monthly income, I'm sure it will help a lot.

Hmm. This is going to take me longer than I first expected

Oh wel, they say the best things come to those who wait
    Not neccessarily, if you started by applying to borrow some money tomorrow, you could be ready to submit a well compiled application pack by late July or early August. This maybe an obvious point but I'll say it anyway, if you do intend to do this by borrowing money, make sure that the monthly repayments for the loan are not being paid from the account from which you intend to submit the statements.

Thread Information