Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Rules from April 2007 on ILR (Permanent Residency)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Rules from April 2007 on ILR (Permanent Residency)

New Rules for those requiring Indefinate leae to remain from April 2007

The Immigration and Nationality Directorate plans to release new rules for people wishing to make the United Kingdom their home. The new rules will require applicants to show that they have a sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK in order to qualify for settlement.

Since November 2005, applicants for citizenship have been required to take the "Life in the UK" test, and now the government wants to extend that requirement to people requesting permanent residence. They hope this will encourage people to learn the English language and to find out about UK structures, laws, democratic processes and traditions at the earliest opportunity. They believe this will help them to better realize their ambitions and become full and active citizens.

There are two ways to go through the process:

• If you are at or above ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Entry 3, you can take a specially developed test called "Life in the UK Test".

• If you have not achieved ESOL Entry 3, you will need to get this qualification through attending an ESOL course at a local college.

The new rules are only required for applicants aged 18-65. A person may also be exempt if they have a mental or physical impairment that prevents them from taking the test or studying an ESOL course. People with permanent residence status who want to go through the citizenship process will not have to repeat the test if they have already taken it during their settlement requirements.

We have more detailed information about the Life in the UK Test, which we will be updating as needed.

These new rules will affect those who are in UK on 2 year marriage visa's when wishing to apply for permanent residency, they will also have to sit the "Life in the UK test".

Here is the link

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_...inite_stay.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    New Rules for those requiring Indefinate leae to remain from April 2007

The Immigration and Nationality Directorate plans to release new rules for people wishing to make the United Kingdom their home. The new rules will require applicants to show that they have a sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK in order to qualify for settlement.

Since November 2005, applicants for citizenship have been required to take the "Life in the UK" test, and now the government wants to extend that requirement to people requesting permanent residence. They hope this will encourage people to learn the English language and to find out about UK structures, laws, democratic processes and traditions at the earliest opportunity. They believe this will help them to better realize their ambitions and become full and active citizens.

There are two ways to go through the process:

• If you are at or above ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Entry 3, you can take a specially developed test called "Life in the UK Test".

• If you have not achieved ESOL Entry 3, you will need to get this qualification through attending an ESOL course at a local college.

The new rules are only required for applicants aged 18-65. A person may also be exempt if they have a mental or physical impairment that prevents them from taking the test or studying an ESOL course. People with permanent residence status who want to go through the citizenship process will not have to repeat the test if they have already taken it during their settlement requirements.

We have more detailed information about the Life in the UK Test, which we will be updating as needed.

These new rules will affect those who are in UK on 2 year marriage visa's when wishing to apply for permanent residency, they will also have to sit the "Life in the UK test".

Here is the link

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_...inite_stay.htm

thanks for the very informative update Pete and would like to ask if ESOL and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) are the same?

thanks again
    insanity- doing the same thing over and over again,expecting a different outcome...

Banned
    Hmm, I'm a little confused here. Elsa's 2 year Spouse Visa is up for ILR conversion in February, so where does this test fit in?

Rob, I sent you a Pim about this, but youre ok, as Elsa's is up for permanent residency, you will escape this extra set of regulation, but we will not, hence I ordered the books from Amazon and they arrived for Gina today, she is already reading it, the test is taken from Chapters 2 3 4 of the book, I am building a webpage on my site this week for interested readers who will want to know how to get this done, the Life in the UK test will have to be taken at local libraries, although the details are on the Life in the UK Test website.
    Oh well I guess there are going to be a few worried readers again, another set of bureaucracy to go through, lucky Elsa, who doesnt have to do it. hahahahahah

Banned
    Ok, it makes sense now, but still Elsa will have to take the test when she applies for the British passport in February 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    Ok, it makes sense now, but still Elsa will have to take the test when she applies for the British passport in February 2008.
    Surely with Welsh being the national language of your country Rob, Elsa needs to learn that?
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Surely with Welsh being the national language of your country Rob, Elsa needs to learn that?
    Dim Keith, dim.

london well away from those people up norf
    From a quick read and lookround the ilets website. in the ilets handbook download it has a comprasion table.

Which has ESOL entry level 3 as a 3.5,4.0,4.5 pass at ilets i presume general.
    This is a fairly low level of english for a Flipina who has been brought up with english as second language (maybe taught in the language like my wife was at school and uni) and now converses in it daily in the UK.

The ielts exam i seem to remeber is valid for two years, a period of time which would have been exceeded by my wife since she took the test in Manila in 05.

But hopefully my wife can take the exam early so its still valid and just show the pass certificate when needed. That or she can prove she has a certificate and her skills if anything have improved via a simple test.

Looks like we will be getting the book which i heard is only 69 pages or so long (so hopefully not to much to remeber/learn) and from a sample of questions in the metro newspaper most will find quite simple and logical as its a multiple choice exam i belive.

One issue i can see being a problem is actually booking a exam date as i can imagine they will be a great demand, lack of funding and chaos as one expects of the UK Goverment and its policys (lab or con just to keep the poltics out of it)

I would suggest that peeps needing to take this exam should look into ensuring they satisfiy the English qualfication asap as i have seen reports that esol courses are being swamped by the huge numbers of forigen workers moving here.
    It would be far easier imho to just revise at home and take an exam like my wife did.

Im glad I dont need to speak bysian when I settle in da phil

Plaid Cymru will have your testicles for such heretic talk Rob
    Keith - Administrator

I did note in the Life in the UK Test handbook that their are questions on the Welsh Assembly Rob..hehehehehehe and yes you are right, Elsa will have to sit the exam before being naturalized.

Banned
    their are questions on the Welsh Assembly Rob..
    Q43. Is the Welsh Assembly a waste of time, rescources and tax payers money, and are Assembly Members useless.

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

Q43. Is the Welsh Assembly a waste of time, rescources and tax payers money, and are Assembly Members useless.

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

Patriotic to the end eh Rob?
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Patriotic to the end eh Rob?
    Oh yes

Thanks for the info Pete. I'll be reading your webpage on this when it's finished. We will be in the position where Wena will have to take that test when she applies for her ILR in October next year. Keep us posted please.
    Wena&Russ

Respected Member
    Hi Pete,

What version of the life in the UK book is Gina studying?

As the faq from http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/abo...tionofnewrules says

"The test consists of 24 questions based on the information contained in the handbook "Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship”. The handbook was originally published in December 2004 and a revised handbook is due to be published in early 2007. You need to make sure you read the correct edition of the handbook, which will vary depending on when you take your test. If you are taking the test on or after 2 April you must study the second edition of the handbook."

The second edition is listed on Amazon but doesn't seem to be available to buy yet.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    Hi Pete,

What version of the life in the UK book is Gina studying?

As the faq from http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/abo...tionofnewrules says

"The test consists of 24 questions based on the information contained in the handbook "Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship”. The handbook was originally published in December 2004 and a revised handbook is due to be published in early 2007. You need to make sure you read the correct edition of the handbook, which will vary depending on when you take your test. If you are taking the test on or after 2 April you must study the second edition of the handbook."

The second edition is listed on Amazon but doesn't seem to be available to buy yet.

Darren
    Not sure which version she is studying, but Im sure there shouldnt be much difference in future issues, anyway, its good for her to get started, as she wont be taking the test until probably April 2007, if I have to send for the new version, I will do so as required, its good to have this information, I am planning to build a new section on my website around this theme for future applicants, as I think we need to have a defined information base on FLR AND ILR and also naturalization, so I will be getting started on this over xmas, and should be finished for 2007.

Not sure which version she is studying, but Im sure there shouldnt be much difference in future issues, anyway, its good for her to get started, as she wont be taking the test until probably April 2007, if I have to send for the new version, I will do so as required, its good to have this information, I am planning to build a new section on my website around this theme for future applicants, as I think we need to have a defined information base on FLR AND ILR and also naturalization, so I will be getting started on this over xmas, and should be finished for 2007.
    good news for all us couples about to go though the process.

From the reading And research i have done the paperwork is fairly straightforward as long as you keep evidence thoughout the applicants stay in the uk.
    One area where people have had problems is where the visa was issued and the applicant did not Enter the country for a while. This may be ignored by the authorties, but i have heard (although im not sure of all the details) you might have to apply for flr at 355 pounds! If you need to extend the time you spend in the uk before you can apply for ILR.
    It may well be wise to warn people of this issues at the start of the spouse arriving to the uk just to prevent problems or worries later.

I cant wait to read the pages Pete as allways :-)

arghhh, never ending

Hi all,

I've just found out my wife and my step son will have to take "the life in the uk " test, well i tihnk so !!

from what ive seen on the immgration web site, if you apply for ILR after 01 april 2007 you will have to take it for settlement purposes, but I phoned the "life in the UK" help line and was told wrongly you have to be in the UK for 3/5 yrs, well maybe hes right now, but start of april you will

the test is basic, although i couldnt get many right, not withot reading the book,,

Iam not sure you need the book, you might be able to get a pass with buying off ebay a pdf version of the chapters you need of the book if you take it b4 april 2007, as after the test covers more chapters and its been revised, as stated by others..

as for local test centre, the nearest is 8miles, the next 10 miles then 40 miles !!!

good luck to all

mark

Banned
    I've made this thread a sticky as I'm sure a few of us will need to make use of the information Pete has kindly supplied.

I've made this thread a sticky as I'm sure a few of us will need to make use of the information Pete has kindly supplied.
    glad Elsa doesnt have to take the test Rob, you managed to wriggle out of that one hahahaha, February looks like it was the best time to come Rob, or was it January, Elsa's 2 years are just about up are they not ? cant wait to hear Elsa has UK Residency Visa....!!

hello to everyone,im applying a citizenship this year im a bit confused bcoz i heard have a new revised book coming (LIFE IN THE UK ajourney to citizenship)early this year and i bought already the old book.so do i need to buy the new book or not? bcoz i plan to take a test this coming march before we going to philippines for holiday...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbkelly View Post
    hello to everyone,im applying a citizenship this year im a bit confused bcoz i heard have a new revised book coming (LIFE IN THE UK ajourney to citizenship)early this year and i bought already the old book.so do i need to buy the new book or not? bcoz i plan to take a test this coming march before we going to philippines for holiday...thanks
    The following is excerpt from Home Office website:

What happens if I have revised from the old version of the Life in the UK handbook?

If you studied using the old handbook you will be able to take the old test until the 30 June 2007. You will need to inform the test supervisor that you would like to take the old version of the test upon your arrival at the test centre.
    From the 1 July 2007 onwards you will not be able to take a test based on the old (first edition). You should therefore ensure that you have studied the correct version of the handbook

Scot ===>

"The world is all about diversity. I am different and you are different."

I am trying to understand the English Language requirement in the new rules.

Am I right in thinking that if you take and pass the “Life in the UK Test” then your English is deemed to be OK?

Or do you need to pass the ESOL exam?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am trying to understand the English Language requirement in the new rules.

Am I right in thinking that if you take and pass the “Life in the UK Test” then your English is deemed to be OK?

Or do you need to pass the ESOL exam?

Jim
    Thats how i read it as well Jim, as usual our dumb goverment can't just write in plain english so everyone is confused.

If you can pass the test your english is good enough, if you don't think its good enough or you keep failling the test, your advised to take the full course to help you and the goverment make more money no doubt.

i took the free example test on a site mentioned on here by pete. I got a 100 percent the questions were more about common sense and a little bit of experience of british life.

The wife got 16 out of 20 and she just sat there and made educated guesses on some of the questions.

I found the following paragraph in a document entitled
    "Knowledge of life in the UK, settlement questions and answers".
    This is on the IND Home office website.

It answers my question clearly.

If you pass this test you will not need to produce additional proof of your knowledge of English. This is because to pass the test you will need to be competent in English.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I found the following paragraph in a document entitled
    "Knowledge of life in the UK, settlement questions and answers".
    This is on the IND Home office website.

It answers my question clearly.

If you pass this test you will not need to produce additional proof of your knowledge of English. This is because to pass the test you will need to be competent in English.

Jim
    i did passed the KNOWLEDGE OF LIFE IN THE UK TEST today i was surprised bcoz the question almost general knowledge just only a few question found in the book..oh yes yes i did it thanks

I'm a scouser.....how the hell would I pass that?
    Keith - Administrator

Theres a seperate test for Liverpool..Much harder!!

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?te...23035949919587

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information