Thread: help advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

help advice needed

Dear All,

Im hoping you can offer some practical advice to solving my dilemma...

To give you a little background I have been to the Philippines 4 times in the last 15 months and met a special someone who I ended up proposing to last August to which she duly accepted. I have been desperate to bring her over here but the problem is she is 19 (I'm 26) and doesnt turn 21 until Aug 2011. So according to UK regulations I cant get her a spouse/fiancee visa until then.

Obviously this is fairly difficult for both of us but there isnt much else we can do. Previously I've been told on this forum that a tourist visa is near impossible - espeically as she doesnt work or study although she will be going to school in April/May. I myself am financially well off so sponsership etc isnt going to be a problem.

So basically the plan was for me to go over periodically and for us to build up evidence of the relationship (yahoo/skype/phone logs/pictures/shared vacations outside Philippines) and make the application nearer the time.

And then the bombshell hits. I just got back a few weeks ago from one of my trips out there and she is now pregnant. Whilst I think this is great news and it is something we both wanted it does leave us with a dilemma. If the baby is born in October this year that means I wont be with my child for a year (assuming we can get a visa) until I can bring her over here. I would not want to seperate them either.

Does this change the chances of getting a tourist or spouse visa approved? Is the baby automatically British?
    Has anyone tried the student visa approach - does it work and how do you do it?
    Anyone have any advice they can give me on this one - i dont know what to do!

Many thanks,
    David

Hi, if you don't mind my asking...Have you ever thought of marrying her instead in the Philippines? If she's married to you, I don't think you will have problems taking her with you as your spouse. Also, it will do good for the unborn child to have a daddy before he/she comes out. Or do you plan to marry her here in the UK?
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

I do plan to marry her in the Philippines within the next 18 months. It also crossed my mind that it would be better to do so before the baby is born so that is not born out of wedlock. Me being a good Christian boy and that...

The problem is not getting a visa for her in 18 months time... its getting one before she is 21! From the sounds of it a student visa is about the only way... any info on this?

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi there, me and my husband got the same situation with you before, but the difference is i was old enough and your GF is 19, we were not married yet when i got pregnant and i was still in philippines also, what i did is apply for a tourist visa to come to the UK and give birth here. it was only 3 days and my visa was approved, but the thing is i got a good job in philippines which the immigration made believe that am not gona stay in the UK for long,after giving birth in UK i went back to philippines as what was said on my visa that i should be back after 6 months. And then we got married after that then went back to the UK on a tourist visa coz am not sure yet if i will be able to live here for good. For now our lawyer is taking care of my application for permission to remainin the UK.

Now here is what i can advice, if you really want your GF to be here, the best is to have her a TOURIST VISA, but you have to convince the embassy/immigration that she will be back after 6months. It would help your GF if she can show a savings of more or less 250,000 pesos, in her application she should say she is only visiting you for 1 month not 6 months because they will question her about it, if she can show a proof that she is going back to school on April or May in philippines that will help also. And on your part, you should write a letter of sponsorship, your financial status, show proof that you have been in philippines for so many times, maybe have your passport with stamped photocopied. Write on the letter that she is your responsibility here.

I hope this helps

Oooops! Sorry I missed out the age restriction. She must be 21 or over in order to qualify for a fiancee or spouse visa. I guess you should consider all the requirements for a tourist visa or tudent visa and choose whichever is more favorable to you. Hopefully someone with the same experience or knowledge would pop in some info for you. Good luck.
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

I sympathise with your situation, but don't go down the student visa route, if it's not genuine, as you'll be getting a visa by deception.
    It could backfire on you in the future.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogedavi View Post
    Dear All,

To give you a little background I have been to the Philippines 4 times in the last 15 months and met a special someone who I ended up proposing to last August to which she duly accepted. I have been desperate to bring her over here but the problem is she is 19 (I'm 26) and doesnt turn 21 until Aug 2011. So according to UK regulations I cant get her a spouse/fiancee visa until then.

Obviously this is fairly difficult for both of us but there isnt much else we can do. Previously I've been told on this forum that a tourist visa is near impossible - espeically as she doesnt work or study although she will be going to school in April/May. I myself am financially well off so sponsership etc isnt going to be a problem.

So basically the plan was for me to go over periodically and for us to build up evidence of the relationship (yahoo/skype/phone logs/pictures/shared vacations outside Philippines) and make the application nearer the time.

And then the bombshell hits. I just got back a few weeks ago from one of my trips out there and she is now pregnant. Whilst I think this is great news and it is something we both wanted it does leave us with a dilemma. If the baby is born in October this year that means I wont be with my child for a year (assuming we can get a visa) until I can bring her over here. I would not want to seperate them either.

Does this change the chances of getting a tourist or spouse visa approved? Is the baby automatically British?

Many thanks,
    David
    I can give advice David, i got the same situation before, if you got Yahoo Messenger add me up... Youcan'tpostemail@address.com

i cannot advise you dude...but i do wish you ur gf and your soon to be born child good luck
    POWER TO THE PEACEFUL. MABUHAY IRELAND AND PHILIPPINES

Quote Originally Posted by rogedavi View Post
    Dear All,

Many thanks,
    David
    yes the baby should be British by descent if born outside of the UK, and a British citizen otherwise than by descent if born in the UK, there are some differences btw them both.

student visa probably looks your best bet, but you could apply for a visit visa, you could be lucky and get one, but the problem is, if your refused a visit visa or a student visa and then apply for the other, they might refuse you again, stating your g/f may not be a genuine visitor or student and just wants to come to the UK.

also on a visit visa, she could only spend 6months of anyone yr here, so which ever visa you apply for, you need to get it right first time..

also you could try the surinder singh route, bypassing the British immigration system and going thru the EU immigration system, the minimum age limit of 21 i don't think applies using the EU immigration system..not practical for many people thou

http://www.ncadc.org.uk/archives/fil...ews17/don.html

Lots of good, well-meaning tips here, David. However, as you've just recently returned from your 4th visit to the *Phils ... and since, by your own admission, you are comparatively well-off, financially ... what's to hinder YOU going back out *THERE around the time of your girlfriend's confinement? Admittedly, you might both prefer that she gives birth in the UK but, in mulling over your situation, I'm thinking my suggestion might be a viable alternative option. How would you feel about that, for instance?

Thread Information