Interestingly from my point of view no-one here has commented that pregnancy and child-birth are NOT an illness

Whilst its great to have check ups to monitor your progress creating a positive birth experience is our own responcability !!

Ive 6 kids plus a stepdaughter and have had a full range of experience of various types of birth and delivered two of them myself one at home with a great doctors active support and another because the also great mid-wife was a little tardy much to our delight.

My 3rd Daughter who was delivered by C section (she was sideways) had her first at home in a birthing pool she rented with a mid-wife and a Doula to support her and has since gone on to train and offer this service to other women.

Of course there are situations were hospital medical interventions are indicated but it doesnt need to be the norm and in my view in countries were this is routinly practiced its more about $$$ than safety women are induced to routinely not interfere with practioners weekends .

Food for thought birth can and should be a beautiful experience