Thread: illogical policy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    I think it is you being illogical... There are two 'peak' periods during a working day when people travel to work (in the morning and in the evening) and it is logical an off-peak ticket won't let you travel in these peak times.

Just makes sure you always understand the restrictions of any train ticket you buy.
    Word sounds totally logical that an off peak ticket could not be used during the two peaks when the majority working and not working wish to travel.

When commuting I see plenty of people in education, shoppers and wot not who stump up the extra for the convenice of travelling at peak hours. But I know plenty of workers who work later or stay up town to get a cheaper rate. Logically any operating compay to discourage those who have a choice when to travel would give an incentive to travel during the off peaks.
    Also logically the laws of supply and demand say if a commodity is in demand then the price of said commodity rises

Many people are happy to work 9 to 5 mon to fri and often are happier to settle for less pay/benefits than they might get if they worked unsociable hours. My Wife has just moved Jobs and although now a Manager gets slightly less generous benefits but now works more sociable hours so is delighted

I see and know of people who work late or early in Jobs and some Moan as it hinders their social or family life but do it as they have to, others find it suits them better horses for courses and all that

Lets face it you paid less so could have spent the saving on a extra book or a drink people watching at the station the world go by or reading

By the way I found from experience different operating companies have different policys so best to check the rules for each one some except off peak tickets in the evening "rush hour" others dont.

One thing im a bit confused you mention you bought a off peak travel card, the only time travel is restricted is before 9.30 mon to fri. However the oyster card has two peak rates a day (check the TFL site for details)
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    To be fair to Bless, I think she felt that the respondent might've made his *point in a [dare I say?] friendlier manner ... rather than raise her hackles with the somewhat curt - almost dismissive - way in which *it appears to have been expressed. Purely an obsevation, I hasten to add!
    My response might have been a bit curt, but it was hardly an attack. It was just a response to the title of this totally illogical rant.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    One thing im a bit confused you mention you bought a off peak travel card, the only time travel is restricted is before 9.30 mon to fri. However the oyster card has two peak rates a day (check the TFL site for details)
    Day travelcards are available from various stations outside of London that give you a return train journey into London as well a TFL travel card.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    My response might have been a bit curt, but it was hardly an attack. It was just a response to the title of this totally illogical rant.

Day travelcards are available from various stations outside of London that give you a return train journey into London as well a TFL travel card.

People live outside of London

I was thinking that must be the case as I sent the post
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Word sounds totally logical that an off peak ticket could not be used during the two peaks when the majority working and not working wish to travel. When commuting I see plenty of people in education, shoppers and wot not who stump up the extra for the convenice of travelling at peak hours. But I know plenty of workers who work later or stay up town to get a cheaper rate. Logically any operating compay to discourage those who have a choice when to travel would give an incentive to travel during the off peaks. Also logically the laws of supply and demand say if a commodity is in demand then the price of said commodity rises

Many people are happy to work 9 to 5 mon to fri and often are happier to settle for less pay/benefits than they might get if they worked unsociable hours. My Wife has just moved Jobs and although now a Manager gets slightly less generous benefits but now works more sociable hours so is delighted I see and know of people who work late or early in Jobs and some Moan as it hinders their social or family life but do it as they have to, others find it suits them better horses for courses and all that Lets face it you paid less so could have spent the saving on a extra book or a drink people watching at the station the world go by or reading

By the way I found from experience different operating companies have different policys so best to check the rules for each one some except off peak tickets in the evening "rush hour" others dont. One thing im a bit confused you mention you bought a off peak travel card, the only time travel is restricted is before 9.30 mon to fri. However the oyster card has two peak rates a day (check the TFL site for details)

Hello somebody! Thanks for sharing you input. I have no contradictions on that considering the way the company works. Of course, what seems unreasonable is reasonable depending on who is supplies and who demands. As I observed, most are just sold out to what is imposed on them. Just saying Yes, and reasons out - that is the way it is. Yes and abroad as well. They have a different policy like Germany for instance (as I remember) they go for distance. And yes that is what I know - on SWT the off peak time referred to the START of the journey which had to be arriving in London after 10 am. No-one I spoke to reckoned you were restricted as to when you could come BACK - and I found that out just the other day.

Thread Information