Thread: The ongoing saga of car rental

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile The ongoing saga of car rental

Well, I am now armed with my shiny new debit card - a few quid in the bank - a squeaky clean driving licence - what can go wrong??

I don't have an address in the UK that's what!!

My licence shows my rented house address from when I left the UK 2 years ago. 'OK' I thought, I'll just put that as my address. REQUIREMENTS - 2 forms of ID showing proof of address!!!!

I'm ready to give up! Anyone got a pushbike they can lend me??

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Well, I am now armed with my shiny new debit card - a few quid in the bank - a squeaky clean driving licence - what can go wrong??

I don't have an address in the UK that's what!!

My licence shows my rented house address from when I left the UK 2 years ago. 'OK' I thought, I'll just put that as my address. REQUIREMENTS - 2 forms of ID showing proof of address!!!!

I'm ready to give up! Anyone got a pushbike they can lend me??

Al.
    If one visits another country and hires a car then one shows the address in the country from where they come. When I hire a car in UK, in Phil or elsewhere, I show my Spanish address. You should not show an address in the UK that you moved from as that is not your address. Technically that's fraud.

Respected Member
    Al,

I am guessing that you are now lodging with someone (parents?) on a temporary basis whilst you sort yourself out and have had your new card sent there. The letter which came with the card should provide one of the proofs of identity needed, so maybe just get something else sent there. I am sure you can find a reason for someone to write to you there!!

An alternative might be to get someone else to rent the car, naming you as a second driver. That way you would only have to show a licence as they would be legally responsible for the charges. Being the trustworthy soul that you are I am sure someone would assist you.

One other point. I think it is a requirement to advise the DVLA of your current address and so you should consider letting them know that you are no longer at that old address and are temporarily where you are now. I think you can do this online. This only becomes important if you have to show the police where you are living.

Hope this helps,

David

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David House View Post
    Al,

I am guessing that you are now lodging with someone (parents?) on a temporary basis whilst you sort yourself out and have had your new card sent there. The letter which came with the card should provide one of the proofs of identity needed, so maybe just get something else sent there. I am sure you can find a reason for someone to write to you there!!

An alternative might be to get someone else to rent the car, naming you as a second driver. That way you would only have to show a licence as they would be legally responsible for the charges. Being the trustworthy soul that you are I am sure someone would assist you.

One other point. I think it is a requirement to advise the DVLA of your current address and so you should consider letting them know that you are no longer at that old address and are temporarily where you are now. I think you can do this online. This only becomes important if you have to show the police where you are living.

Hope this helps,

David
    The DVLA cannot renew a D/L or change the address of a person who is not resident in UK. A C/O address is not acceptable, although, strangely, one can continue, in some circumstances, to use a DL which shows a former, but now, incorrect address.

In passing, I am surprised that Nationwide issued a Debit card to a customer who no longer lives in UK. That is not their normal practice. Thus people tend to be 'flexible with the truth' in such circumstances. Although, as I have posted before, I did get a Credit Card, which was issued and then cancelled, reinstated when I contact Graham Beale CEO Nationwide.

Not the case here John Alan is now a resident just in that akward moment that the system doesnt allow for whaen you need to deal with the catch 22 questions

Where do you live? dunno yet depends where i will be working
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Respected Member
    I rather think that where one is living must be regarded as one's address.

I have searched on the net but cannot find specific info on this. It does say that a PO box cannot be used for an individual.

I seem to remember that a C/O address can be used if one is resident in UK.

I think the address where Alan is staying could be considered as his address. Of course if he changes address he will need to notify the new address.

Respected Member
    I found this on the net.

I would say that the part I have highlighted in red, can be understood as an address where you can be contacted, so a parents address, brother etc should be OK, as long as you can be contacted through the address.

The letter I found :--

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    Drivers Customer Support
    D12
    DVLA
    Longview Road
    Swansea
    SA6 7JL

Dear Mr Jackson

Thank you for the e-mail of 11 July requesting information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

You asked

What information DVLA holds in relation to dealing with drivers of no fixed abode and vehicles registered to same.

DVLA holds no information and provides no advice to drivers of no fixed abode. The same applies to vehicles. It is not possible to issue a driving licence or a vehicle registration document unless we are provided with a residential address at which the driver and/or vehicle keeper can be contacted. This is required for law enforcement purposes by the Police and by DVLA.

Note: Post Office boxes are not considered viable address details as in the event of an emergency the authorities i.e. police would not have an address to contact the driver. Secondly it also increases the risk of fraud. Post Office boxes can be rented for a short time and the person then become untraceable.

You can get an accomodation address.

Homeless people, have been able to register a park bench before, as an address to be able to vote...not suggesting things will get that bad Alan.

Banned
    A car rental company is hardly going to hand the keys to someone using an accommodation address

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    A car rental company is hardly going to hand the keys to someone using an accommodation address
    Well no, I don't suppose they would, nor would a park bench. I just meant if he is generally stuck for an address.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    I rather think that where one is living must be regarded as one's address.
    Thats right you can also use an address where "your current Wherabouts " can be readily supplied a mobile phone number for example

The problem with the former is having to send your licence off to be changed then you dont have one to rent with catch 22 again its all part of the revenue collection culture
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Thread Information