Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone planning to live in the Phils one day?

Banned

Anyone planning to live in the Phils one day?

Hi,

I am planning one day to live in the Phils when any children that we have are educated in the UK to a good level, or I get totally disillusioned with the UK lifestyle and stress levels.

Obviously we must have good savings beforehand to support us later and life insurance would be a must also.
    We would have to monitor the exchange rates over the years too.

It is a long way off but I was wondering how many other people here want to live over there too?

Brgds

Ive been twice now, and seen the good and bad of the country to a point. Id be there like a shot tomorrow if I could, our plan is that when we are settled we will eventually like to split our time between here and the Phils.

Respected Member
    No plans to move to the Phils while I have small children in the Uk, am still working here and have a good job. If my situation changes for the worse in the future, I would consider it, or at least on a part time basis, but probably after retirement, which is still a long way off yet.

Sometimes I think it would be better to live there when you are younger, then come back here when you are older....How you do it financially, I don't know?

I'm a bit dubious of the notion...wait until you retire, we don't all get that far?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laurel View Post
    Ive been twice now, and seen the good and bad of the country to a point. Id be there like a shot tomorrow if I could, our plan is that when we are settled we will eventually like to split our time between here and the Phils.
    Do you have any children or are you planning to have any, laurel?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    No plans to move to the Phils while I have small children in the Uk, am still working here and have a good job. If my situation changes for the worse in the future, I would consider it, or at least on a part time basis, but probably after retirement, which is still a long way off yet.
    Do you think that paying for your childrens' education in the Phils would be a good idea, Englishman2010?

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post

I'm a bit dubious of the notion...wait until you retire, we don't all get that far?
    Hey, some of us have made it already Keep taking the tablets !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Sometimes I think it would be better to live there when you are younger, then come back here when you are older....How you do it financially, I don't know?

Good points, Sim11UK.
    I suppose most of us work in the UK while we are "young" and can earn money when we are fit and able, to pay for retirement.
    As it seems almost impossible to earn money in the Phils, it seems to me hard to go sooner rather than later?

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Do you have any children or are you planning to have any, laurel?
    Yes we both have kids..........there wont be any more we are waiting for a decision on the annulment and then we can move on

Banned
    It's easy to fall in love with the place after a couple of weeks on holiday and think you could spend all year round there, thats why I'm off for a couple months in a few weeks. I want to dip my toe in the water a few times before I decide about spending the rest of my days out there. Besides, I have 2 kids here and it wouldnt be until they're grown up I'd make the move, something I see myself doing when I'm in my 40s. Ideally, like Laurel, I'd split my time between the two countries, perhaps spending summers here in the UK.

It's all about the finances though

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Do you think that paying for your childrens' education in the Phils would be a good idea, Englishman2010?
    It isn't an option for me. My ex wife will get custody of the children, and I also feel they will be better off with her as I work long hours and can't dedicate enough time to properly care for them during the week. I would not dream of taking them abroad and away from their mother either. I strongly believe that children need regular contact with both parents, so for that reason I am stuck here for a long time

As another who has already 'made it' ... in terms of being retired, that is ... I'd have to say, "Sorry, count ME out!". And yes, having reached this elderly stage of my life, I'm grateful for the existence of the British NHS. But there's an infinitely more important reason for my reluctance to uproot - one which I explained to another [middle-aged] British chap whom I befriended when I first visited the Phils in 2008, and who, having decided to remain there for the rest of his life ... tried, in vain, to entice me into doing likewise - and it's simply this: I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up.

And last ... though not necessarily least ... I don't think my body would ever be able to adjust to either the constant humidity or the food (no offence!) - even though the people themselves are lovely!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    ......It's all about the finances though
    Yep, and the exchange rate

My wife said it would be a good idea for us to keep some property in the UK in case it all went pear-shaped over there.

I think she is right. It is so difficult to come back and find somewhere to live again, especially knowing that any illness can be very costly over there if there is no health insurance

I lived over there with my (now) husband and our daughter for 14 months - I managed a bit of luck part-time work and she went to a local private school (don't tell!) which was better than the state schools, but very unimaginative -we came back precisely to get her an internationally valued education - if I could have afforded it in the Philippines it would have meant staying in Manila - another no no! Living in the provines for the last 3.5months was great and I would go back, but I'd need transport and some livestock!!

My husband arrives here April 1st - hopefully until our daughter finishes her education as a minimum, but if he's unhappy we'll have to think again - maybe he could do half and half for a few years - we may end up there anyway - being a single mum for so long I don't have a mortgage and will be unlikely to own a property her, I don't have a brilliant pension - so depending on the exchange rate it may eventually be any easy (and happy) choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    Ideally, like Laurel, I'd split my time between the two countries, perhaps spending summers here in the UK.
    ... that's certainly a viable option ... IF I/WE could afford it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    As another who has already 'made it' ... in terms of being retired, that is ... I'd have to say, "Sorry, count ME out!". And yes, having reached this elderly stage of my life, I'm grateful for the existence of the British NHS. But there's an infinitely more important reason for my reluctance to uproot - one which I explained to another [middle-aged] British chap whom I befriended when I first visited the Phils in 2008, and who, having decided to remain there for the rest of his life ... tried, in vain, to entice me into doing likewise - and it's simply this: I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up.

And last ... though not necessarily least ... I don't think my body would ever be able to adjust to either the constant humidity or the food (no offence!) - even though the people themselves are lovely!!
    Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your comments.
    I can understand where you're coming from.
    My UK family is small (no children) and my children will be Fil-Brits so I am looking at all possibilities.
    The imminent arrival of our first born is, at my tender age of 53, making me look at all possibilities.

At least you can afford to live on a pension in the Philippines,not so in the UK.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justchecking View Post
    I lived over there with my (now) husband and our daughter for 14 months - I managed a bit of luck part-time work and she went to a local private school (don't tell!) which was better than the state schools, but very unimaginative -we came back precisely to get her an internationally valued education - if I could have afforded it in the Philippines it would have meant staying in Manila - another no no! Living in the provines for the last 3.5months was great and I would go back, but I'd need transport and some livestock!!

My husband arrives here April 1st - hopefully until our daughter finishes her education as a minimum, but if he's unhappy we'll have to think again - maybe he could do half and half for a few years - we may end up there anyway - being a single mum for so long I don't have a mortgage and will be unlikely to own a property her, I don't have a brilliant pension - so depending on the exchange rate it may eventually be any easy (and happy) choice!!!
    Hi justchecking.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Can you tell me how much a good education costs in the Phils?
    Are there no internationally recognized schools outside Manila?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    At least you can afford to live on a pension in the Philippines,not so in the UK.
    Hi jonnijon,
    This has crossed my mind recently too

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    That's what my friend Peter told me. And he said I could even arrange to have my pension sent across from the UK! But even so ...

Heres a thought that may stimulate some if your mortgage is near to finished relocate to a good tourist spot if your not already let your house as a tourist let via an agent for the summer (High income)storing your very personal stuff and use the income to fund 6 months initialy in the phils to see if you like it If you do the next season add a winter let and bingo income sorted and max of six months to get it back.

Part two pick a stunning location in the Phils build three smallish decca type houses £25 k ish (or if funds allow a big one for you and several small apartments)apply for permanent residence 13a import a container of carefully chosen household effects with no duty most of which can be found free or near offer on free cycle etc furnish said houses install wireless internet and rent short term to guys from forums like this one at around 10-11000 piso a month plus electric whilst living in one of them (there is a dearth of reasonable priced short term foriegner freindly property) This way you will never be short of an interesting conversation something to do or a pot of marmite

In time you might build more if demand is high or the properties could becomes homes for your kids there are spin offs like motor cycle rental and beer sales lol the part two is doable as a stand alone and could agument a pension you need to be gregarious of course

You do of course need to stay friends with the missus and in my case still find one lol as we cant own property there this way at all no matter what anyone says to the contrary also recieved wisdom says never settle on the same island as your fils family lol blah over
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Hi Arthur,
    and the Philippines has a pension agreement with the UK,so your pension will increase in line with increases in the UK.Unlike the people who lost the court hearing today.

well i am thinking of doing it in the future again its down to cost, hopefully rent over there till we know what and where we want to live, but in the mean time rent my home out in england too, that way if its not what we want then move back , to buy or not to buy thats the question , long term lease might be the other option, so much advice is given about cost and so on , who knows what the cost will be and they say live like a native but can we and do we , i think 400 a month without rent should be enough, any takers on that????

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    well i am thinking of doing it in the future again its down to cost, hopefully rent over there till we know what and where we want to live, but in the mean time rent my home out in england too, that way if its not what we want then move back , to buy or not to buy thats the question , long term lease might be the other option, so much advice is given about cost and so on , who knows what the cost will be and they say live like a native but can we and do we , i think 400 a month without rent should be enough, any takers on that????
    I have been told 300-400 a month is sufficient for comfortable living, but im sure one mans comfort may not be the same for all..............

what about clubbing together and buy a lot and build the biggest place and live in our own little commune

Trusted Member
    As another who has already 'made it' ... I'm grateful for the existence of the British NHS... I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up.

... I don't think my body would ever be able to adjust to either the constant humidity or the food (no offence!) - even though the people themselves are lovely!!
    This thread and the responses really strike a serious chord with me. We've just suffered a dreadful cold winter here in the UK, and other threads discuss "Broken Britain". I have over 30 years of interest and affection for the Philippines and Malaysia since working there. Yet I don't want to live there permanently, for similar reasons to Arthur. I do have a girlfriend in Manila. But I want to make sure she really wants to live here, and this sort of discussion should rightly go on between all couples from UK and Philippines in serious relationships

lots of variables but supposing two people outside of rent power can be 1000 - 4000 depending on your use of aircon internet 1000 water 250 transport all to do with location and choices like car or motor bike or taxi and trike jeepny

what you buy to eat is another big factor imported food eats into your budjet

you will also find you spend much more early on till you have settled in

£400 is doable if you dont try to much to transfer lifestyles from here to there its finding the balance and it takes a bit of time I reckon from my own experience between 18 months and two years to reach my equilibriam you can of course live on a lot less if you have to but would you want to Prof Al should be able to offer good upto date info on this as hes been doing it the last couple of years its also very different if your busy and occupied or trying to fill your time that always ups the budjet
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by jackson.alan46 View Post
    Hey, some of us have made it already Keep taking the tablets !
    Which ones, the homeopathic ones???

I couldn't bear the thought of being separated from my immediate family and miss watching my grandchildren grow up.
    Arthur, what about Myrna's immediate family?
    I'm not having a go at you, but sometimes we just seem to expect to drag our other halves, from the other side of the globe, to over here.

My wife absolutely loves the Philippines, she dosen't want to leave it really.

Like many here, ideally I'd love to be able to spend time between the two.

Im still looking for the wealthy Filipina thats drop dead georgeous and owns a brewery but in the mean time my guess is the vast majority would like to live in the Phils whilst having the reletively secure lifestyle of the west me to
    Absit invidia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information