Thread: when to apply for FLR?

when to apply for FLR?

My wife's spouse visa was issued in Jan 2009 and expires in April 2011.

What is her next step?
    Does she apply for Further Leave to Remain (FLR) or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)?

Whichever it is, presumably she has to apply in advance - can anyone tell me how far in advance is advisable?
    And what are the requirements?
    Is it expensive?

advance thanx to anyone who can help!!

what date did your wife land in the uk ?

she needs to pass 'the life in uk' test to apply for ILR. and she can apply up to 28 days b4 she has been in the uk 2yrs..

you should have started collecting 6 bits of evidence, letters addressed to both of you, from the time she came to the uk and spread evenly over the 2 years.

Thanks for replying!
    She arrived in the UK on Feb 9th 2009 (one month after the visa was issued).

But we've been back in the Philippines for the last four months.

We usually spend Oct thru March in the Philippines. That's why I was wondering when to apply for ILR. (her visa expires March 2011 and we would usually be in Cebu then).

I guess if she can only apply up to 28 days before her 2nd year that means we would have to be in the UK to apply on the 12th January 2011?
    Or is it possible to apply on Feb 9th 2011? When is the deadline?

By then we will have spent about 7 months (out of her two years) in the Philippines. Does this affect things?

Sorry to ask sooo many questions, sorry if it's a bit confusing.
    BUT I need the help and advice so thanx....

Quote Originally Posted by chubster View Post
    Thanks for replying!
    She arrived in the UK on Feb 9th 2009 (one month after the visa was issued).

But we've been back in the Philippines for the last four months.

We usually spend Oct thru March in the Philippines. That's why I was wondering when to apply for ILR. (her visa expires March 2011 and we would usually be in Cebu then).

I guess if she can only apply up to 28 days before her 2nd year that means we would have to be in the UK to apply on the 12th January 2011?
    Or is it possible to apply on Feb 9th 2011? When is the deadline?

By then we will have spent about 7 months (out of her two years) in the Philippines. Does this affect things?

Sorry to ask sooo many questions, sorry if it's a bit confusing.
    BUT I need the help and advice so thanx....
    the earliest your wife could apply for ILR is upto 28 days b4 she has been in the uk 2yrs.

so she would have been in the uk 2yrs on the 9th feb 2011, and -28 days is
    12th jan 2011 but must apply before her visa expires (9th march 2011???)

yes 12th of jan, you could post it or go and use a PEO (most if the time you get your visa in a couple of hours - but cost more)

but you could leave it upto a couple of days b4 her visa expires in march 2011.

but as you've said there could be problems with the 7 months out of the UK, as the UK is suppose to be her home, there is no set number of days your wife has to be in the UK to get ILR, I think its at the discretion of the case worker, but 7 1/2 months out of 2 yrs i would have thought she should be ok,. as for citizenship your wife is allowed upto 270 days in the last 3 years, so 270/3 = 90 days a year.

you wife could apply for FLR and state she has not passed the life in uk test in time, and she should be given up to a further 2yrs, you can apply for FLR at anytime, but i would apply say few months b4 her visa expires, as they might wonder why your applying many months b4 her current visa expires,

but if your wife gets FLR, go to the phils and you could apply for ILR when she got back to the uk when she phas passed the 'life in uk test',,,

ah, it all becomes clear! thank you for brilliant information!!
    can I trouble you for a couple more answers?

can she take the 'life in the UK' exam at any time? she wants to get it out of the way asap if poss.!

is the ILR process expensive?

we've got a 13 month-old boy, loads of pictures, date-matching passport stamps and probably loads of old mail so I reckon we'll be covered for evidence.

yes anytime for the test, but asap is best with the test, get it out of the way

so your wife could apply for FLR or ILR, depends really , where you are, how much you want to spend on visa's

but the 7 1/2 month, i would check with UKBA if it will effect her applying for ILR. it could depend on the case workers discretion ..

£840 by post or £1095 by PEO for ILR

Quote Originally Posted by chubster View Post

we've got a 13 month-old boy, loads of pictures, date-matching passport stamps and probably loads of old mail so I reckon we'll be covered for evidence.
    yes anything from claiming tax creds, child benefit, etc if its in both your names.

FLR i think cost £400 by post, and £650 by PEO..
    remember thou if you use post, you could be waiting for up to 3 months for it to be processed.

APPROVED FLR:
    im happy that my FLR was approved for only 2mo. & 5days...
    JAN. 18, 2010 - submit via post
    MAR. 23,2010 - approved...

Thread Information