Thread: very strange

Respected Member

very strange

we went to belgium via calais sunday morning, ferry from dover. i thought it was extremely strange no one checked my passport to see if i have a schengen visa, no immigration officer present in the passport control. on the way back from calais my passport was checked and stamped (uk border contol).

im just wondering now, when i apply for my british citizenship, how can i prove if i get questioned when i left the UK? no one scanned or checked my passport on the way out but i have re-entry stamp?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eula mackay View Post
    we went to belgium via calais sunday morning, ferry from dover. i thought it was extremely strange no one checked my passport to see if i have a schengen visa, no immigration officer present in the passport control. on the way back from calais my passport was checked and stamped (uk border contol).

im just wondering now, when i apply for my british citizenship, how can i prove if i get questioned when i left the UK? no one scanned or checked my passport on the way out but i have re-entry stamp?
    Been there and they don't really check passport. Holland and France as well.
    But my passport was checked many times in Germany at the buses and german trains.

Respected Member
    i know within schengen states there are no border control. what im surprised is that my documents were not checked in dover before embarkation. my concern is that there is no proof when i left the uk. in uk airports we dont get stamped on the way out as our passports are scanned.

has anyone used dover port in the past and had the same experience?

Quote Originally Posted by eula mackay View Post
    i know within schengen states there are no border control. what im surprised is that my documents were not checked in dover before embarkation. my concern is that there is no proof when i left the uk. in uk airports we dont get stamped on the way out as our passports are scanned.

has anyone used dover port in the past and had the same experience?
    It's a longish time since I travelled to France by ferry, so cannot really remember whether my passport was checked or not at Calais. However, I DO know my wife and I had ours scrutinised recently at both St Pancras and Paris ... and vice versa ... prior to boarding Eurostar; moreover, Border Control at the French end, requested Myrna to complete an Immigration Form of some kind for returning to the UK. And it seems she will have to go through this palaver each time we travel to the Continent [or, at least until she has ILR] ... in order to keep the British Government happy!

its just a guess... but mabey the thinking is that anybody that is leaving the uk must be able to get back in legally else they wouldnt be leaving

Banned
    It is all part of the Labour Governments policy of not wanting to deny the free passage or hinder any terrorist or criminal wishing to leave the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Notavirusalso View Post
    its just a guess... but mabey the thinking is that anybody that is leaving the uk must be able to get back in legally else they wouldnt be leaving
    true, they don't care who leaves, since the tories and labour scrapped exit checks the gov has no idea who is here

thou they could be re-introduced

Fair enough! But it also facilitates opportunities for fugitives from British Justice to leave the country ... in order to avoid prosecution ... and that can't be right, surely!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Fair enough! But it also facilitates opportunities for fugitives from British Justice to leave the country ... in order to avoid prosecution ... and that can't be right, surely!
    It's not but it helps with Labour's never ending quest for "equality" ........... law abiders and criminals can leave the country unchecked. What could possibly be wrong with that ?

Thread Information