Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: going the the philippines on april 18, im british and have questions huhuhu

Wink going the the philippines on april 18, im british and have questions huhuhu

this will be my first time to go on a plane and im very nervous, im going there with a filipino friend and his wife and there 2 year old son, and ill be marrying his sister if all goes well, his sister lives in nueva ecija,ill be staying there for 1 month,
    yesdrday i went to the doctors about being vaccinated,thay gave me a list but dont know which ones i need
    yellow fever £65
    hepititis b (course) £90
    test immunity status £20
    meningitis ACWY £45
    rabies (course) £95
    malaria tablets £13
    i can afford the malaria tablets and the immunity test and that will leave me with about £100 to take to the philippines, i thought these injections would be free, i cant afford these terrable prices, can i get any of these vaccines in the philippines, i know the rabies ones there are free for philippinos, i seen that on tv,
    more questions, hope someone can help

do i need a visa? and where do i get one from, im in the west midlands,

can i get travel insurance from any travel agent on the high street? average cost?

how big can my hand luggage be, i want to put my 10inch laptop in there and mayby a magazine and sweets,

is there anything else i need to know

Tony....is this for real?????????

Do not go to the Philippines with £100 add another 0 on the end if you are going for a month.

Banned
    IMHO no need vaccines/tablets.
    Nueva Ecija is such a nice place and not polluted.
    Take your laptop-hand carry. 7 kilos is allowed but someteimes depends upon airlines.
    Travel Insurance is great.
    No need to apply visa.
    But apply extention visa there (Immigration and Deportation Office) if you think you'll stay more than 28 days.
    Know her well before you marry and wish she is the same.

yup is true huhuhu, uk bills have eaten all my money, especialy my car bills, ill be staying there at her home so wont need any money, only need to buy things like deodrant ect

Quote Originally Posted by \\\\ToNy//// View Post
    and ill be marrying his sister if all goes well, his
    Lucky girl i am sure

I am also going to be there then, where you staying ?

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    IMHO no need vaccines/tablets.
    Nueva Ecija is such a nice place and not polluted.
    Take your laptop-hand carry. 7 kilos is allowed but someteimes depends upon airlines.
    Travel Insurance is great.
    No need to apply visa.
    But apply extention visa there (Immigration and Deportation Office) if you think you'll stay more than 28 days.
    Know her well before you marry and wish she is the same.
    Trouble is he will need to extend his visa Penny if he stays for a month, which cost me over 5000 php.

Tony if you are serious about going, Penny has given you some good advice, but you really need to do your homework.

I got all of my jabs free, at the local Health Centre.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Trouble is he will need to extend his visa Penny if he stays for a month, which cost me over 5000 php.

Tony if you are serious about going, Penny has given you some good advice, but you really need to do your homework.

It would be better for him to stay not longer for a month if he's out of budget.

Take your credit card with you Tony. Just swipe and swipe until you want .

thankyou so much pennybarry, i feel so much better now, think my hand luggage will only weigh about 3kg, anymore than that and my arm aches

Banned
    thankyou so much pennybarry, i feel so much better now, think my hand luggage will only weigh about 3kg, anymore than that and my arm aches
    Hmmm, add more lotsa chokies and perfumes, if you want to make her feel more happy.

hehehe, yes she love chokies more than me , well have a lovely saturday, nice and sunny outside, im going in the town now, take care

Tony if you are going for a month, then you can get a visa from the Phils embassy in London, costs about 22 pounds its very straightforward. Download form from their website , then send off by post or travel down. If its by post then do ASAP, you still have plenty of time but best to get it done pronto just in case .....enjoy your trip

Quote Originally Posted by laurel View Post
    Tony if you are going for a month, then you can get a visa from the Phils embassy in London, costs about 22 pounds its very straightforward. Download form from their website , then send off by post or travel down. If its by post then do ASAP, you still have plenty of time but best to get it done pronto just in case .....enjoy your trip
    Good advice Laurel...I forgot that option

Banned
    hehehe, yes she love chokies more than me , well have a lovely saturday, nice and sunny outside, im going in the town now, take care
    Enjoy Tony! We're going out this afternoon as today is a lovely day here.
    Yesterday was raining too much.
    Look for Thorntorns chockies as they may have sale chockies there.
    We love chockies.
    I bought about 3 kilos here. Cost only 49p / pack.

ME too ... at my GP's surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    ... [think] it's a maximum of 21 days without a visa. Which is a bit of a pain in Tony's case, given that he plans to stay for a full month!

Quote Originally Posted by laurel View Post
    ... sounds like a better deal! Have a great time ... whatever you decide, Tony.

Trusted Member
    yesdrday i went to the doctors about being vaccinated,thay gave me a list but dont know which ones i need

I assume you saw your doctor privately (not NHS).
    Yellow fever vaccination not necessary if travelling from UK.
    Hepatitis B - low risk.
    Hepatitis A - should be given.
    Test immunity status - only if you've no record of past vaccinations / illnesses.
    Typhoid - should be given.
    Meningitis -not necessary.
    Rabies - avoid wild / stray domestic animals - pre-exposure vaccination only for remote areas.
    Tetanus,diphtheria, polio (combined) - should be given.
    Malaria tablets - depends on where you're going (but they're the ONLY item which you need to buy - £25 is a more realistic price). Buy insect repellent containing DEET, tropical strength (about £7).
    Suncare lotion, very high (50) protection (also about £7).
    Not only can you get advice from your NHS doctor / nurse, but you can also find information on the web (VIS online, netdoctor.co.uk).

Tony....is this for real?????????

Do not go to the Philippines with £100 add another 0 on the end if you are going for a month.

listen to Si, you'll need more than £100 or you will not be able to do anything or go anywhere

jabs should be free, who gave you those prices ?

you'll definitely need travel insurance, i think £30+ for a month

Respected Member
    I agree with all of the other advice, you really will need to ensure you have more money. If your tight you should have a credit card with enough limit for emergencies.

Ensure that you have a comprehensive travel insurance policy which covers the Philippines and all emergency medical treatment.

Take a photocopy of your passport, insurance and travel details and pass this on to someone at home and take a copy with you seperate in your baggage.

Register with the British Embassy before you travel; http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...g-safe/Locate/

I don't think the Philippines is a Yellow Fever area, so thats not necessary. As for Malaria, in North Luzon it is unlikely you'll be affected but do check. Also do some research about the tablets you'll take if you do take anti-malaria ones. I have my own personal opinions on this which may not be the view of everyone.

Read this before you go http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/philippines

As for cabin baggage allowance, it depends which airline. But if its with the major carriers then normally you'll be allowed a cabin bag upto around 10 or 15kg PLUS a laptop. If you are planning on using any internal flights in the Philippines, some of them have serious baggage restrictions on the ATR and Dash 8 Turboprop Aircraft. But I'm guessing you'll probably be flying into Manila and then catching a bus up North.

Remember that you are not allowed liquids or sharps in your hand baggage. You can carry a small clear pouch, and would recommend you put some small toothpaste, a mini deodorant (you can get these in boots and tesco) etc. Always put a spare set of clothes in your hand baggage, and anything which you would really need when you get to the Philippines. Most of the times your bags will arrive untampered, but occasionally bags get delayed, go astray or have items missing.

Also, you'll find that people in the Philippines are very friendly and helpful, but don't let this blind you from the con artists, crims and scammers that you'll find everywhere in the world.

Respected Member
    ... and one more thing, don't let this worry or concern you too much, but do consider that the Philippines General Election will be held on the 10th of May. I would consider a hightened risk to your security during this time, and would recommend you be a little bit cautious of any political rallies and steer clear of anything of that kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp...election,_2010

Tony What Airline you flying with. 3KG of handluggage is not alot at all? I would advise you have at least a set of spare clothes with you just in case your checked in luggage goes walkies.

As others said a hundred pounds is not going to get you far and what would you do in an emgencies?

Be careful with travel insurance make sure it will cover phill and the area your going to, not all off the shelf travel insurance will cover you and many of those selling it will forget to either check what your doing or mention any possible clauses due to your choice of location..
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Are you sure you want to commit yourself to go to Philippines with £100 in your pockets...???

Do you seriously think that this paltry amount will pave the way for the miriad of different expenses that will raise their ugly heads whilst over there...?

A bare minimum for that lenght of time should be at least £1000, and a visa card for emergencies.

I don't know who has been advising you, or cajoling you into making the trip, but something doesn't add up at all.

All I can say is ... Good luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Are you sure you want to commit yourself to go to Philippines with £100 in your pockets...???

Do you seriously think that this paltry amount will pave the way for the miriad of different expenses that will raise their ugly heads whilst over there...?

A bare minimum for that lenght of time should be at least £1000, and a visa card for emergencies.

I don't know who has been advising you, or cajoling you into making the trip, but something doesn't add up at all.

All I can say is ... Good luck.
    I agree with Dom about £100 being insufficient and that you need a Visa card for emergencies.
    Best to take more than you need and take home anything that's left over.

You don't want to be stuck there with no money and embarrassed that you cannot pay to get to the airport at the end of your time there

Plan ahead \\\\ToNy////

Respected Member
    100 quid? blimey I wouldnt worry about getting married cos she wont be interested if thats all ya got
    Like others said take at least a grand or have access to it via an ATM or something. Thats what i`ve done before.
    You`ll be expected to pay for any meals that you eat at restaurants and such so you`ll need it.
    Plus dont forget you need about a tenner just to get out of the place, i.e. airport tax so that leaves you with 90 quid eh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    100 quid? blimey I wouldnt worry about getting married cos she wont be interested if thats all ya got
    Like others said take at least a grand or have access to it via an ATM or something. Thats what i`ve done before.
    You`ll be expected to pay for any meals that you eat at restaurants and such so you`ll need it.
    Plus dont forget you need about a tenner just to get out of the place, i.e. airport tax so that leaves you with 90 quid eh.
    You will also be expected to pay for everything at the restaurant too, even if ten people join you.
    The exchange rate, even though not the best at the moment at 67 PHP to the £, will still allow you to "look after people" and buy presents.
    It is quite hard to understand if you haven't been there, but you will experience poverty that you will not see in the Midlands.

You will be talked about if you are not generous.
    I am not saying that you have to be foolish with your money but certainly don't be stingy.

Besides, if you are getting married on this trip there you should prepare for these costs........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post

Besides, if you are getting married on this trip there you should prepare for these costs........
    Wedding reception.... Jollibee's for two....

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    You will also be expected to pay for everything at the restaurant too, even if ten people join you.
    The exchange rate, even though not the best at the moment at 67 PHP to the £, will still allow you to "look after people" and buy presents.
    It is quite hard to understand if you haven't been there, but you will experience poverty that you will not see in the Midlands.

You will be talked about if you are not generous.
    I am not saying that you have to be foolish with your money but certainly don't be stingy.

Yes thats very much my experience......my hands are in my pocket paying for all sorts of things, but you know what with my lovely fiancee I wouldn't change a thing. I have never experienced such warmth from a family, I felt part of their family so quickly and now hearing my fiancee's niece shout Tito Colin at the airport is great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    I've always taken about £1,000 in cash, and after 2wks i've never had anything left , and thats staying at my misses place and eating in sometimes, sure if you dont go out and eat, or doing anything you can last on less, but some holiday that will be never mind a wedding and you want to go for a month

Respected Member
    To be realistic, the minimum you should consider is about 100 pounds per week.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    To be realistic, the minimum you should consider is about 100 pounds per week.
    more more pls ....better to have more than less for a first time traveller. .

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information