Thread: Why I am not voting for Labour

Banned

Why I am not voting for Labour

There are many on this forum who like to ridicule the current Labour Government and talk about how it is a shambles. And there are also a few on here who will stand up for Labour and defend them with reference back to the days when the Conservatives had a bungling set of ministers with an NHS in crisis. All fair points!

Before this election I have pretty much decided who I am going to vote for already, and it won't be Labour!

The first time got to vote in a General Election was in 1997 when I (like the vast majority of this country) was swept away with the New Labour brand, wooed by Tony Blair and his promise for a better society. Education, Education, Education he declared. And the NHS would get funding instead of cuts, hurrahhh... Tough on Crime and the causes of Crime! All good...

So...

Today I have thought over a few things. Firstly, I truly think this country is worse now than it was in 1997. Forget about the crime figures, I have seen the criminals take the streets in the areas where I have lived. Just the other day my nephew was kidnapped by a gang from a nearby council estate, because they thought his older brother had a lot of money and could spare them a few grand. As it happened, he was released a few hours later after the Police were called but the threats to him and his mother were simple - this didn't happen. And so nobody talks to the Police and my sister is looking to leave Manchester... Funny how gangs like this live without fear of the law! A few years ago I used to live above a row of shops in a small flat, often kids from around the area would kick footballs to the shutters as they enjoyed the sound of the bangs it made. they also tried to see how close they could kick the football to a window without smashing it... Needless to say that I had a broken window every week! And when I went out to try and ask them to go elsewhere, I was met with essentially an attack (except had I defended myself I would have served time as these kids were all under 13). At the time I was going through a big Mixed Martial Arts phase and would have given anything to meet their fathers - except I think they don't have any. And so it was either beat up a bunch of children and face the consequences or move.

I moved shortly after, seeing it a better deal to move home than to move to Strangeways Prison

Since then, from everything I have been told and seen. Things are worse..

With the NHS, think Labour have done a fairly good job there. Sure it is far from perfect, but I doubt it will ever be.

Education I think has been eroded. And not just by the current administration but previous ones too. I have nephews who have simply refused to be educated when they got to 13 and the system just lets them go, discipline needs to be returned to the classroom somehow.

Another failing of the current administration has been the erosion of our civil liberties. The war on terror has been a catalyst for them to remove our rights under the banner of security. Rights which people like my grandfather joined the British Army during World War II to defend (despite the fact he was Irish), and many gave their lives for. So when a politician stands on stage to tell us how only the criminals have to fear incursions on our civil liberties, I almost want to make a citizens arrest for Treachery (except that law is now gone)...

Under Labour, we have seen a massive rise in red tape, loss of freedoms including a proposed law to outlaw criticizing religion, under the pretence to only stop people making fun of religion. Thankfully, Tony Blair left Parliment that night early and the vote lost by 1 vote - Tony's. Otherwise, countless people up and down the country would be facing charges including the Author Richard Dawkins.

Under Labour, we have seen the waste of public money go to prosecute a Christian couple for making a flippant comment about Islam, yet thieves and killers walk free. whilst in debt like we have never known before, we still waste money on two wars we could easily end tomorrow if somebody in power wanted to. But it seems, although we are no longer a world conquering empire, we still think in our arrogance we should still be a big time player

And finally, Labour has given one of the most powerful roles in the government to a man who is only an MP by peerage, after he was forced to resign in disgrace - twice. And no sooner than the last election was over, they removed their own leader so we could all get an unelected Prime Minister. Arrogance is the meme of New Labour it seems.

I voted for them in 1997 and until every single one of them is long gone from office or at the very least apologized. I for one am switching to another party

Banned
    My sentiments entirely, unfortunately I don't have the privilege to vote in this country...

LimDem book of magic out today .... Labour say the sums just don't add up ..... and their -£800 Billion does then?
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    My sentiments entirely, unfortunately I don't have the privilege to vote in this country...
    you've been here long enough to have done something about that dom
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    LimDem book of magic out today .... Labour say the sums just don't add up ..... and their -£800 Billion does then?
    Think I'll be voting Lib Dem this time around

Banned
    Dunno if you been watching the news, and the breakdown of all those £ 700 better off tax rebates....

But they don't add up at all, as they seem to have forgotten, accidentally on purpose, to include other stuff in their calculations...

And it is a very clever cunning plot....

So LibDems manifesto is just pie in the sky

Banned
    It would be nice if they were honest and said "we need to increase taxes and make some cuts you won't like"... At least it would be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Think I'll be voting Lib Dem this time around
    so i'll know where you live northerner when the results are out in Manchester, you're vote will be the only vote the liberals get
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    so i'll know where you live northerner when the results are out in Manchester, you're vote will be the only vote the liberals get
    I thought it was a secret vote

I thought it was a secret vote
    It is... the same as you bondage banana fetish is a secret
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    It is... the same as you bondage banana fetish is a secret
    Not any more

Respected Member
    I was never taken in by New Labour or Phoney Blair's fake smiles, Alastair Shambles spin, or Gordon Brown's ability to handle the economy. I've never voted for Labour and am not about to change a habit of the last 23 years or so since I first voted in a General Election.

It's a real shame the Tories couldn't settle their differences in 1997 or 2001 and put Ken Clarke up as leader. I truly believe he is the best Priminister we never had.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    I was never taken in by New Labour or Phoney Blair's fake smiles, Alastair Shambles spin, or Gordon Brown's ability to handle the economy. I've never voted for Labour and am not about to change a habit of the last 23 years or so since I first voted in a General Election.

It's a real shame the Tories couldn't settle their differences in 1997 or 2001 and put Ken Clarke up as leader. I truly believe he is the best Priminister we never had.
    There comes a time when every government must go! In 1997 the tories needed a big kick up the backside and they got it.. Now it is Labours turn

Respected Member
    There comes a time when every government must go! In 1997 the tories needed a big kick up the backside and they got it.. Now it is Labours turn
    I completely agree, the Tories had been on the gravy train for too long, too many MP's were on the fiddle and involved in dodgy business deals. The public had lost confidence in them and they had to go. I really hope this current showers time has come because they have become just as tainted as the Tories were in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    It's a real shame the Tories couldn't settle their differences in 1997 or 2001 and put Ken Clarke up as leader. I truly believe he is *the best Priminister we never had.
    Now who ELSE was it I seem to remember once hearing *THAT being said about? Was it Roy Jenkins? [before he changed his party allegiance] Denis Healey? or ... ... maybe even Enoch Powell ...?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    ... and discover what else can be "ballsed-up"

Thread Information