Thread: Ouch - Doctor removed patients testicle by mistake

Banned

Ouch - Doctor removed patients testicle by mistake

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

A patient lost a testicle during an operation after the surgeon accidentally cut it off, the medical watchdog was told today.

Dr Sulieman Al Hourani was only supposed to cut out a cyst on the patient's right testis, but instead he 'mistakenly' removed the whole testicle, the General Medical Council (GMC) heard.

Dr Al Hourani, who worked as a locum surgeon at Fairfield General Hospital in Bury, Greater Manchester, is accused of misconduct over the error and faces further charges of injecting himself with a drug meant for a patient and stealing tablets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...cle-by-mistake

Yet another example of the NHS employing dodgy Doctors with suspect overseas qualifications. But that's all OK in New Labour Britain as long as NHS Senior Managers earn over £100k and receive 7 percent rises who gives a monkeys about the patients or their balls.

Out of 1000's of doctors, you will always get the odd bad one in every country. You can't put rules in place to prevent every human that has a stupid streak .... if you could I'd have never had a job
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Dr Al Hourani, who worked as a locum surgeon at Fairfield General Hospital in Bury, Greater Manchester, is accused of misconduct over the error and faces further charges of injecting himself with a drug meant for a patient and stealing tablets.

Yet another example of the NHS employing dodgy Doctors with suspect overseas qualifications. But that's all OK in New Labour Britain as long as NHS Senior Managers earn over £100k and receive 7 percent rises who gives a monkeys about the patients or their balls.
    that hospital is near where i work

dodgy doctors with suspect oversea quals

the GMC check their Qualifications and he probably had to do the PLAB exams to register, get a certificate of good standing, CRB checks, IELTS english test, references, evidence of clerkship etc.. a long and costly process..

like every profession there are bad ones,

its the European docs you have to worry about or the IMGs who are married to Europeans in the UK, who dont have to take IELTS and the PLab exams or register with the GMC as its up to the PCT to check them.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member

... that's all OK in New Labour Britain as long as NHS Senior Managers earn over £100k and receive 7 percent rises who gives a monkeys about the patients or their balls.
    You can't be serious ! Do you really think managers and doctors don't care ? The VAST majority DO care and there are checks and balances (job appraisals, medical audit, peer review, multidisciplinary team meetings, ethics committees, the GMC) to ensure that those who don't are found out. There's an irreduceable minimum of mistakes made by the best doctors ( 2% of all pathologists' diagnoses of cancer by microscopy are wrong, but would the outlook for patients improve if these doctors were all struck off by the GMC?). Just be thankful that most managers and doctors provide a good service which is free at the point of delivery in the UK and has to be paid for (or done without) in the Philippines and elsewhere in the world

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    that hospital is near where i work

dodgy doctors with suspect oversea quals

the GMC check their Qualifications and he probably had to do the PLAB exams to register, get a certificate of good standing, CRB checks, IELTS english test, references, evidence of clerkship etc.. a long and costly process..

like every profession there are bad ones,

its the European docs you have to worry about or the IMGs who are married to Europeans in the UK, who dont have to take IELTS and the PLab exams or register with the GMC as its up to the PCT to check them.

I know your Mrs is a Doc Joe and I take what both of you are saying but it has recently come to the fore (that German Doc whose 1st patient died) about the way rogue Doctors have been employed by the NHS. English tests aside I doubt if I'm the only one here who has had extreme difficulty understanding some of them.

More of an immigration / special branch type issue but it shouldn't be forgotten that the gang responsible for the Glasgow Airport outrage and failed London car bombing were Middle Easterns employed as NHS Doctors. This guy sounds a right dodgy character, stealing drugs, maiming a patient (and that's the one we know about) etc - if it was down to me I'd have a thorough investigation into the lot of them - background, lifestyle, qualifications, English language ability etc. Any not up to scratch have their work permits revoked and removed from the country.

Edit

Just seen the Docs reply I agree 99% of Doctors are highly capable, but if we can pay obscene inflated salaries to hundreds of pen pushing, target focused Managers then we should be able to afford a system that roots out the bad apples.

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Maybe the patient was allergic to nuts!

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Red face

Well, I'll "cut things short" in this instance ... and simply say: "What a balls-up"!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

A patient lost a testicle during an operation after the surgeon accidentally cut it off, the medical watchdog was told today.

Dr Sulieman Al Hourani was only supposed to cut out a cyst on the patient's right testis, but instead he 'mistakenly' removed the whole testicle, the General Medical Council (GMC) heard.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...cle-by-mistake

You seem to be very selective about what news stories you believe. I was under the impression that you thought everything the Guardian printed was a load of rubbish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    You seem to be very selective about what news stories you believe. I was under the impression that you thought everything the Guardian printed was a load of rubbish.
    Not at all unlike your attitude to the Sun & Mail I don't just dismiss newspapers out of hand due to the name at the top of the front page.

If you care to look at the "Bottler Brown lies over rescue coaches" thread http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24143 you will see a gem just published in the Daily Handwringer

Not at all unlike your attitude to the Sun & Mail I don't just dismiss newspapers out of hand due to the name at the top of the front page.

If you care to look at the "Bottler Brown lies over rescue coaches" thread http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24143 you will see a gem just published in the Daily Handwringer
    I dimiss almost all newspapers because almost all have a political slant one way or the other, it just so happens that the majority of them happen to lean towards the tories and always have done, in the case of the Daily Mail, quite blatantly so. I prefer to get my news mostly from TV because in general TV news is usually quite balanced, although I must say that many of the presenters and interviewers on Sky News these days might as well wear blue rosettes. But I suppose that's to be expected (Orders from Rupert maybe). I think they should all be made to take lessons from Jeremy Paxman and Jon Snow...... Both of these treat all of our politicians with equal contempt regardless of party.

I know your Mrs is a Doc Joe and I take what both of you are saying but it has recently come to the fore (that German Doc whose 1st patient died) about the way rogue Doctors have been employed by the NHS. English tests aside I doubt if I'm the only one here who has had extreme difficulty understanding some of them.
    exactly, IMG (international medical grads) have to be registered with the GMC before they can work, Europeans doctors dont have to be registered and i believe IMGs who are married to europeans in the UK dont have do PLAB tests and IELTS english test, its upto the PCT to check the european doctors Qualifications and their standard of English, i believe he was refused by the first PCT he went to, but a second one employed him.. this is because of EU law and the right not to restrict people working, and i believe the EU law is coming up for review in a couple of years and the gov will push for changes. it is crazy all should be registered with the GMC.

i went with my misses to her job interview, she was there 4 1/2hrs, they phoned the GMC about my misses, they checked at least 2 of her references within 24hrs , they are doing a CRB check, they tested her medical knowledge and for the first week she has to shadow someone else and has to be registered with the gmc which required her to take 2 medicine exams, IELTS english test and get at least a mark of 7 in reading,writing, speaking and listening(this test takes nearly all day !) also the medical school where my misses took her degree has to be on a list of approved schools and then have a certificate of good standing from the medical authorities in the phils and evidence she has done internship ( worked at least 1yr after passing her medical degree), its a long and expensive process. and in my misses case it took 5 long years to get this far..

of course IMG doctors make mistakes, and so do British doctors...
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thread Information