Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depression???

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    My mum had post-natal depression for quite a while after my younger brother was born and she had some not suite so nice treatments then got stuck on valium for years. It took her many years to gradually come off them. I hope the current drugs are not quite so hard to come off when you are feeling better.

Like said before, most people get depression from events in their life that have caused it, but others get it for no particular reason such as Alan and Fred. Obviously the first type is easier to treat as you know what has caused it, but does anyone know what causes the 'chemical imbalance' type?

does anyone know what causes the 'chemical imbalance' type?
    I have no idea but never had a return bout,certainly not here in the P.I..
    Many people believe that a lack of light is the problem in winter months..They swear by these light boxes..

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    ... does anyone know what causes the 'chemical imbalance' type?
    I'm not going to give "too much information", but just to say that the neurotransmitter serotonin can be involved. There are antidepressants called SSRI's (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) which stop re-uptake of this chemical in certain brain cells.

Certainly this good weather we've been having for a couple of weeks, In the UK, has lifted most peoples spirits. We definately need the light & it's good to feel the sun on our faces & backs.

I'm starting to find the winters here really hard, became quite demotivated for a while. Though parts of it, I do enjoy, taking a long walk, is good for clearing your mind, can help to put things in perspective.

It's also easier for me to earn an income during the summer, infact I'm dreading the thought of next winter.

Keep smiling everyone, we're all in this together.

...I don't think anyones mentioned alcohol yet, which is a known depressant?

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Certainly this good weather we've been having for a couple of weeks, In the UK, has lifted most peoples spirits. We definately need the light & it's good to feel the sun on our faces & backs.

Keep smiling everyone, we're all in this together.

...I don't think anyones mentioned alcohol yet, which is a known depressant?

Yes Simon, you're right, hence the expression "lighten up" which has been suggested for me !
    So just for once, here's the good news :
    Moderate amounts of sunlight ARE good for us
    Stay within the recommended limits and the same applies for alcohol

( I think we all know about skin cancer ...and alcohol abuse ...so I'm keeping that in small print for this post!)

I am not sure if this would help with someoine who is depressed but I know if I get a bit out of sorts or down then I make sure i put myself amongst happy and positive people ( a bunch of nattering and giggling Filipnas often has the right effect). I guess if are you depressed it have the opposite effect but for me being around good vibes as it were is enriching/uplifting. Conversely have a look at people living (if you can call it that) on Smokey mountain and you will soon buck up your ideas and realise you have a lot more than some.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    and realise you have a lot more than some.
    and there is always someone worse off than yourself ....
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by scott&ligaya View Post
    I am not sure if this would help with someoine who is depressed but I know if I get a bit out of sorts or down then I make sure i put myself amongst happy and positive people ( a bunch of nattering and giggling Filipnas often has the right effect). I guess if are you depressed it have the opposite effect but for me being around good vibes as it were is enriching/uplifting. Conversely have a look at people living (if you can call it that) on Smokey mountain and you will soon buck up your ideas and realise you have a lot more than some.
    ... and in principle; however, by the same token, it could have the opposite effect - whereby, being "jollied along" by others' high spirits might just as easily prove irritating to the sufferer ... whose mood at the time triggers off thoughts like: "How can these people laugh and , when I'm feeling so miserable?" - and cause the afflicted person to feel even more "isolated". Similarly, being reminded of the plight of people "living" lives that are consumed by hardship, is unlikely to lift the veil of gloom for someone who is profoundly depressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information