Thread: FilipinoUK Summer Fiesta Lunch - Earl's Court

Respected Member

FilipinoUK Summer Fiesta Lunch - Earl's Court

OK, my suggestion of a Christmas Party fell flat on it's face. But alas, I try again with another idea!
    If the boss approves, how about a Summer Lunch and then drinks into the night for those who stay around in London?

There is a great restaurant in Earl's Court almost opposite the Tube Station called 'Sunrise', which serves an excellent traditional Filipino Buffet, very good English food and they have real Filipino San Mig and San Mig Light :-)

The area is like the FilipinoTown of London with Filipino Shops, Banks and Restaurants :-) It's easily accessable from all routes with the Tube and would be a perfect place for meeting up on a named Saturday in July or August! No need to prepay, sign up or subscribe, just turn up :-)

So what's everyones thoughts?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    OK, my suggestion of a Christmas Party fell flat on it's face. But alas, I try again with another idea!
    If the boss approves, how about a Summer Lunch and then drinks into the night for those who stay around in London?

There is a great restaurant in Earl's Court almost opposite the Tube Station called 'Sunrise', which serves an excellent traditional Filipino Buffet, very good English food and they have real Filipino San Mig and San Mig Light :-)

The area is like the FilipinoTown of London with Filipino Shops, Banks and Restaurants :-) It's easily accessable from all routes with the Tube and would be a perfect place for meeting up on a named Saturday in July or August! No need to prepay, sign up or subscribe, just turn up :-)

Birmingham? Manchester? Cardiff?

HI Ricky kow the resturant well you might wanna give them a heads up if you organise something as saturday can get busy sometimes and Sunday well the lovely staff there have people shifting seats n places and all sorts to fit in as many people as they can somtimes

Rob from Wales you can get a train to paddington and a tube District line direct to earls court

London is expensive... and us Northerners don't like it ... best meeting at the Barrio's if folk can make it, but usually members meet up in local groups anyway

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    i'm in but it has to be after the 5th of august

keith its not that expensive, i am sure we will all have a good time

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    i'm in but it has to be after the 5th of august

keith its not that expensive, i am sure we will all have a good time
    True I think the buffet is not bad value there and not bad next door either in the other pinoy resturant.

Plus as Ricky says you can get Brit dishs if not in the mood for Pinoy foods..

But hang on im not sure i want scousers in our capital where the pavements are made of gold and money trees on every corner

Nice idea...

Trusted Member
    Meeting in person is a great idea Ricky. At this stage, as I'm doing last minute packing and checking in on line for tomorrow's flight to Philippines, all I can say is I support the idea I'm looking forward to meeting forum members living in Philippines When I was on committees in my work it was always difficult to persuade members to meet outside London. There was shock/horror when I suggested Scarborough So the problem's going to be agreeing on a venue. I hope your thread stays active and something is sorted
    (Just as a footnote : it won't apply to me but if meetings include short presentations / talks it might even be possible to claim expenses! When I was last in the Far East my then-employer Glasgow University contributed to my expenses and the Scottish Tourist Board paid me a few Scottish pound notes to give talks about Scotland , both in Malaysia and Philippines!).

Busy at the moment trying to get the visas corrected, flights etc but i would be interested. Im sure by that time my wife will be longing for philippine foods.....particularly after she has tried my cooking!

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Sounds good to me and I'd be up for it-just hope that it doesn't clash with a VW show (they are virtually always Sundays though, so Saturdays should be fine which would probably actually be better for people travelling, as if on a Sunday most would be working the next day)!

Banned
    London village, a bit off the beaten track isn't it Why not have it in the Midlands so its central to everybody

Banned
    Right, while you folks go and enjoy ethnic fare at the pinoy resto, Jet and myself will be more or less across the road at "Nando's"...

Peri-peri chicken will always be first priority with us...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    London is expensive... and us Northerners don't like it ... best meeting at the Barrio's if folk can make it, but usually members meet up in local groups anyway
    Don't people realise us Welsh folk need a visa to visit Engerland? The current processing time is at least 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Right, while you folks go and enjoy ethnic fare at the pinoy resto, Jet and myself will be more or less across the road at "Nando's"...

Peri-peri chicken will always be first priority with us...
    I thought you would be down the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by jackson.alan46 View Post
    Meeting in person is a great idea Ricky. At this stage, as I'm doing last minute packing and checking in on line for tomorrow's flight to Philippines, all I can say is I support the idea I'm looking forward to meeting forum members living in Philippines When I was on committees in my work it was always difficult to persuade members to meet outside London. There was shock/horror when I suggested Scarborough So the problem's going to be agreeing on a venue. I hope your thread stays active and something is sorted
    (Just as a footnote : it won't apply to me but if meetings include short presentations / talks it might even be possible to claim expenses! When I was last in the Far East my then-employer Glasgow University contributed to my expenses and the Scottish Tourist Board paid me a few Scottish pound notes to give talks about Scotland , both in Malaysia and Philippines!).
    So the welsh and northners should give a chat on there local areas I think i'll turn up TFC while that goes on

Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    London village, a bit off the beaten track isn't it Why not have it in the Midlands so its central to everybody
    Exactly thats why they always have the olympics in brum or manchester

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Exactly thats why they always have the olympics in brum or manchester
    Is manchester in the midlands don't you have maps down there

Is manchester in the midlands don't you have maps down there
    Depends i guess some one in newcastle might think they are in the middle

All up norf in the provinces anyway

I know what you mean coventry is suppose to be the easiest place to get to in the UK so do they have a Phill area we can all descend on plus accomdation??

Loads of country folk moan about the big smoke but yet to hear any altenatives from them

Banned
    I did have a little search actually and couldnt find any pinoy restaurants in the midlands. We could always meet up in coventry province and slaughter a pig. bring a few san migs and some balut and it could be a good do

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    I thought you would be down the bridge
    Lunch first..........

I did have a little search actually and couldnt find any pinoy restaurants in the midlands. We could always meet up in coventry province and slaughter a pig. bring a few san migs and some balut and it could be a good do
    Sounds top idea to me far more phill than a resturant

Respected Member
    Maybe Dr Alan could bring back fresh lechon in has hand baggage! Stow it in the overhead compartment.

Seriously, I think its a difficult call. The one thing with Earl's Court is that it's got transport links in from all over, has good, cheap Filipino Restaurants and has a good mini-philippines atmosphere.
    The negatives are if you don't live on a direct train line to london, its a bit of a nightmare to get to. So then the question is, where abouts in the UK is easily accessible by motorway and rail? Would have a decent venue for a FilipinoUK gathering, and where we could prepare a mix of Filipino and British dishes (anyone volounteering to cook???)

... sounds good, Ricky. And I'M certainly game ... there's nothing I'd like better than to meet friends from the forum - IN PERSON!

Whilst a London venue might not be everyone's ideal choice [especially those of us living in Scotland!] because of the Capital City being far distant from a great many other UK locations, it's reasonably accessible by rail from MOST parts of the country.

Definitely food for thought!

after the lechon we could drink tuba and sleep under charring cross railway much more authentic I will arrange the cardboard

Hello, I live in London so count me in!!

Thread Information