Thread: Im a newbie so be gentle

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Im a newbie so be gentle

Im Mike from Scotland. I got married last year in Thailand to a philippina, Ruby. I want to go to the UK for the summer before going to Saudi to work. We can apply to settle in the UK later if we want. Can anyone tell me what is my best bet in terms of getting her a visa for a short visit. I want the least hassle least money option. Getting even a tourist short term visa seems like a big deal but hopefully thats just cause im a newbie.
    Mike

Keith - Administrator

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    touist visa is best option. Once in uk for longer your can complete FLR forms.

Welcome mike I'm a newbee too!!

this site is really good

Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    touist visa is best option. Once in uk for longer your can complete FLR forms.

this site is really good
    WRONG, if she comes her on a tourist visa she can't apply for FLR, the tourist visa will be for aperiod of up to six months and at the end of that period she will have to go home. FLR (Further Leave to Remain) is for fiancee's. When they come here as a fiancee they get a six month visa to allow them to get married here in the UK. Once they have married then they have to apply for FLR to be able to stay here for up to two years when they then have to apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinindia View Post
    Im Mike from Scotland. I got married last year in Thailand to a philippina, Ruby. I want to go to the UK for the summer before going to Saudi to work. We can apply to settle in the UK later if we want. Can anyone tell me what is my best bet in terms of getting her a visa for a short visit. I want the least hassle least money option. Getting even a tourist short term visa seems like a big deal but hopefully thats just cause im a newbie.
    Mike
    Mike in India ... then Thailand ... and planning - eventually - to work in Saudi Arabia. A "flying Scotsman", indeed!

to the filipino/uk forum. Given your circumstances, a 'tourist visa' would seem the logical option. But note the comments expressed by my fellow Scot, Iain Busby - as short-term visas [although relatively inexpensive] are notoriously hard to obtain in the current economic climate. Good Luck to you and Ruby, however!

tourist visa is best option.
    Yes ... in the circumstances ... ! But, as I've pointed out to the fella concerned, tourist visas aren't easy to come-by nowadays.

Once in uk for longer your can complete FLR forms.
    ... 'fraid not ... see Iain Busby's explanation.

this site is really good
    to you also. This is, indeed, a good site ... which is why one of our respected members felt it necessary to contradict your statement.

She will require a family visit visa not a tourist visa, the main difference is the family visit visa holds the right to appeal as she is your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    WRONG, if she comes her on a tourist visa she can't apply for FLR, the tourist visa will be for aperiod of up to six months and at the end of that period she will have to go home. FLR (Further Leave to Remain) is for fiancee's. When they come here as a fiancee they get a six month visa to allow them to get married here in the UK. Once they have married then they have to apply for FLR to be able to stay here for up to two years when they then have to apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).
    yes she would need entry clearence and would have to apply for the correct visa for the phils.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

The family visit visa is for your wife to visit her husband in the UK , if you do not intend to settle in the UK Visa can be valid for 1/2/5 & 10 years, however just apply for a 6 month visit . As these hold a right to appeal ECO are less likely to refuse them unless they have serious doubts.

Thread Information