Thread: The Bathtub Test

Banned

The Bathtub Test

The Bathtub Test

During a visit to the psychiatric unit, I asked the director how do you
    determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup

"No." said the director, "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    The Bathtub Test

During a visit to the psychiatric unit, I asked the director how do you
    determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup

"No." said the director, "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"
    Hi, I liked that one
    Mick.

Banned
    I used to do voluntary work at a hospital radio station in South Wales in the early 90's - St Cadocs hospital in Caerleon (as seen on Dr Who current series Episode 1 & 2 and Torchwood), and it was a spooky place, if you imagine a typical Victorian asylum, its wasn't far off from that. We had very strict guidelines on what we could say on the radio - and we couldn't play anything by Madness for starters or any song to do with going mad or losing one's mind. Then the studio would get invaded at random intervals by various characters if we forget to 'lock' ourselves in - they would come in and sit there for hours and stare at you, quite harmless and they seemed quite happy. Anyway, after I got released, er, left they had apparently demolished the studio to make way for new buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    I used to do voluntary work at a hospital radio station in South Wales in the early 90's - St Cadocs hospital in Caerleon (as seen on Dr Who current series Episode 1 & 2 and Torchwood), and it was a spooky place, if you imagine a typical Victorian asylum, its wasn't far off from that. We had very strict guidelines on what we could say on the radio - and we couldn't play anything by Madness for starters or any song to do with going mad or losing one's mind. Then the studio would get invaded at random intervals by various characters if we forget to 'lock' ourselves in - they would come in and sit there for hours and stare at you, quite harmless and they seemed quite happy. Anyway, after I got released, er, left they had apparently demolished the studio to make way for new buildings.
    c'mon you was a patient and was released after shock treatment
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

I could ask for a bed near window pls
    I would flunk same question.. We never had a bathtub at home so I won't really know about the plug

Thanks to my Darling for explaining it to me.

and worst....initially I thought Les was referring to an electric plug......I was kinda shocked and found that really strange....electric plug & bathtub?? wooh ..very dangerous eh!

silly me

Les should have mentioned the drainer then I will easily understand

ahhh English is so hard

Thread Information