oh dear i've upset you with my manc sense of humor, maybe its not to everyones taste , funny my misses thinks its funny she will be supporting me when i've retired, and shes doesn't have a problem with it, but you do , in reality for some people this isn't a joking matter, if money is short and they dont have good pension then the wife continuing to work might be the only option for them, not everyone is lucky enough to afford a private pension.

martyr , you dont know about me or my wife or what we've been thru, my rants on here have been about how unfair the system is and the endless costs, form filling, time wasting and restrictions and conditions placed on certain people.

good for you, you've done the best of your abilities for your wife and your proud of her, have you seen your wife in tears wanting to give up doing the job she spent more than 10yrs at uni in the phils studying to do, the late nights studying until she falls asleep then having to go and work, endless exams, the time and cost of it all, no i'm no martyr, the posts ive made are about her struggles are to warn and to encourage other filipinas they can make it, the system is against you, but you can, my wife has met many filipinos who just gave up

where have i said that the state pension is the be all and end all ???

bornatbirth said why pay it, for your £50 a month, tell me what you would get from a private pension fund after 30yrs ?? i'll take a guess probably £60 a month the way pension funds have been hit. so £60 a month private or nearly £400 state pension !

of course its good to have a private pension as well, but some people can't afford it

what advice of mine is mis-informed ?? i haven't given any - unless your talking about paying for NIC contribs , unlike you ..

err did you post this

Why pay to the Government ???? (via voluntary contributions)
This isn't your only option.

I'm not advocating relying on a private pension policy .... but to ENHANCE the Government's one !

make your mind up, why pay the gov and next your saying you should enhance the gov one ..

true there are other options, but show me one with a better guaranteed return for the little your putting in?

just google private pension funds and see the state many are in

but as always consult a expert on any matters