Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Filipina Things To do/consider before leaving our beloved country Philippines!!

A Filipina Things To do/consider before leaving our beloved country Philippines!!

visa of course,luggage packed,house is packed,despedida party with families and friends,beach,chicharon,cheap redhorse/san mig lite

whatelse??
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

pasport, tickets and a piece of grass or soil to remember your home there

cfo sticker?

and a tabo , oh and some dried fish for the inlaws
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Respected Member
    Things might be "slightly" or "massively" different here, so be prepared mentally, emotionally and psychologically. its best to leave philippines with an open mind and be open for a big change and being away from your family back home. Expect the unexpected And welcome to the uk soon
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Banned
    Prepare for the cold, even in the height of summer here.
    I know, you can't imagine the cold unless you experienced it.
    Before Jane came here, she looked at snow as if it was cotton candy, picture postcard stuff and all that.
    Most of the winter clothing we got in The Philippines before we arrived here was next to useless, so poorly made
    We got these at the mall of Asia, the thing was, we were charged western prices for them, so we rightly expected quailty, how wrong were we

Thermal underwear is a great start and loads of them
    although, you won't need them another 4 months.
    Get plenty of jeans, Jane gave away many of hers to family etc, I think she regreted it after getting here
    The jeans are much better value in the Phil for the same quailty in the UK

Jane is petite, like a size zero, not much call for that size in the UK...bloaters rule

That means you will find go deals in the outlet villages, they stock sizes what mainly don't sell so, you filipina's and your happy husbands will find deals galore..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Things might be "slightly" or "massively" different here, so be prepared mentally, emotionally and psychologically. its best to leave philippines with an open mind and be open for a big change and being away from your family back home. Expect the unexpected And welcome to the uk soon
    I can't agree more, the changes that is experinced is massive. You do need to be prepared mentally and those other 2 long words

But, how you prepare mentally, emotionally and psychologically is the 64,000 dollar question.
    Sound advice, anyway

Bring toilet paper, we tend to use newspaper.... we like it rough ... plus the bonus is, if the guy is on top during a 69 you get to read the news
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    how you prepare mentally, emotionally and psychologically is the 64,000 dollar question.
    I agree with you, I suppose there’s no specific or guaranteed answers on how. I guess it’s more about setting your mind up and being prepared for the upcoming challenges and major changes you’re about to embark when you get here. For us Filipinas, we have to go through 2 major adjustments – adjusting to a married life and adjusting to a new and different country and being away from our family and friends, leaving our old life behind and embracing a new life in a new country. It’s not as easy as it sounds, I’ve been there, you will need a lot of growing up to do and it’s a learning process. So proper mindset is important to get on with the transition smoothly and less overwhelming.
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    a piece of grass or soil to remember your home there
    Nice thought, but might also be the reason why they put you on the next plane home again

Banned
    The most difficult adjustment is the weather impact and how it affects people's mood.
    How cold, dull and rainy affects people emotionally.

The homesickness if you are so dearly close with your dearest and nearest in the Philippines.

Wow! i can feel you are so excited mari!!!! Enjoy your trip and your new home!!!
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

As Penny mentioned the weather & cold can make you miserable, the kids & ignorant parents can make you miserable, lack of a justice system can make you miserable, high taxes can make you miserable, lack of money can make you miserable, cost of driving can make you miserable, not seeing family & friends can make you miserable, ...... oh .... and enjoy yourself when you're here
    Keith - Administrator

you forgot your hubby can make you miserable

adjusting to a new and different country and being away from our family and friends, leaving our old life behind and embracing a new life in a new country. It’s not as easy as it sounds, I’ve been there, you will need a lot of growing up to do and it’s a learning process. So proper mindset is important to get on with the transition smoothly and less overwhelming.

Great advice sophiethanks..its wonderful to grown up with a very supporting husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    As Penny mentioned the weather & cold can make you miserable, the kids & ignorant parents can make you miserable, lack of a justice system can make you miserable, high taxes can make you miserable, lack of money can make you miserable, cost of driving can make you miserable, not seeing family & friends can make you miserable, ...... oh .... and enjoy yourself when you're here
    thanks boss keith...i know i will survive

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    you forgot your hubby can make you miserable
    no bab,my husband always treats me well and with due respect all the time

Take some pictures of the beaches you always enjoy going to... I am sure you'll miss that sis...
    Though you do not write books, you are the writer of your life. Because everything depends on YOU.

just think what you can have and be ready to your new life and home when you are there ... have a happy and safe trip soon

Banned
    I agree with you, I suppose there’s no specific or guaranteed answers on how. I guess it’s more about setting your mind up and being prepared for the upcoming challenges and major changes you’re about to embark when you get here. For us Filipinas, we have to go through 2 major adjustments – adjusting to a married life and adjusting to a new and different country and being away from our family and friends, leaving our old life behind and embracing a new life in a new country. It’s not as easy as it sounds, I’ve been there, you will need a lot of growing up to do and it’s a learning process. So proper mindset is important to get on with the transition smoothly and less overwhelming.
    I know since Jane arrived here UK in December last, she is not the same.
    I think a case of 'sink or swim'. Jane is much stronger and now she has a full time job, this really is bringing out her best qualities.
    I still 'mother' her, I really do love her to bits, I'm so lucky.

Be prepared to have some serious learning to do..

New area, new group of people to know, loads of paperwork and red tape which starts from the second you get here. However good your English is your have to learn local slang and British terms rather than the yank one

Are you planing to work in the UK? Home life for most Brits is fairly quiet, so even if mr covers the bills you might wanna consider work to meet people and fill up the day and possibly contribute to the household and sending home..

From the wife experience and from what I see on here it takes a few months to get used to the Uk before most either want to work or start looking for something to do..

Be prepared to have to feel almost scared to go out side for a few days.

Get used to dialing international and via your cheap calls back home to hear people you used to text and bump into.

Be ready to be looking for foods you miss and equivalents..

Like Sophie and the ladies say you will change as a person. The Wife finds now although she is a phill, she is now a Brit. Plus feels far more connected to world events than before.

Be prepared to have friends from the four corners of the world (well i guess it depends where you live) but many phills like many newcomers to the UK find that they have more in common often with those from abroad.

Be prepared to find how offish even appearing hostile some of your kabayan can be and how friendly and welcoming others can be, but as you can imagine those who seem offish at first maybe the better people to know longterm from what i have seen and read..

Trust me the poltics in some philluk communities is something else..

The Wife has good Phill friends here in the Uk who are so good to her but many friends
    who are differt to her in race, skin colour, religion etc but have also been the best friends a lady could wish for
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    I think a case of 'sink or swim'. Jane is much stronger and now she has a full time job, this really is bringing out her best qualities.
    hi there if you dont mine what full time job that jane got in the UK? good for her he fastly adopt life in here. goodluck and send my best regards.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Great advice sophiethanks..its wonderful to grown up with a very supporting husband.
    You're welcome I totally agree with you, its great growing up with a husband that supports you all the way through

Respected Member
    You're lucky indeed, but i think you both are

prepare urself when encounter a racist lol...was dining at macdonald with my son there's two ( english) woman sitting next to our table who talks and laugh about on every indians and africans who passes their table...nasty isn't it...well anyway not all of course most of them our nice and approachable

sadly some blame and make comments about skin colour, i think you will find those that make the comments are the stupid ones

Quote Originally Posted by gparry2007 View Post
    prepare urself when encounter a racist lol...was dining at macdonald with my son there's two ( english) woman sitting next to our table who talks and laugh about on every indians and africans who passes their table...nasty isn't it...well anyway not all of course most of them our nice and approachable
    chill, some people are like that so let's respect whatever they have in their minds. we never know they are just insecure about themselves that is why they are making negative fuss about other people's skin. close minded and uneducated perhaps? har har har poor them

sadly some blame and make comments about skin colour, i think you will find those that make the comments are the stupid ones
    right, just let them be. that's how insecure and conceited people would react when they see somebody who are alluring and exotic.

sorry to here that some people are rude but we are all not like that , its the ones that feel insecure and most proberly just silly folk , you will find people once you are talking to them very pleasent indeed

you could leave the tampo and tantrums back in the philipines, trust me your hubby will be most grateful

Quote Originally Posted by gparry2007 View Post
    Strange that, Grace! Thankfully, MOST people where I live have been quite the opposite since Myrna came on the scene ... particularly some Church folk! At ONE time, there were [a few] who barely acknowledged me when I attended on my own. NOW though, it's a cheery smile and ... "Good Morning, Myrna ... Morning, Arthur!" from practically everyone. Amazing really!

you could leave the tampo and tantrums back in the philipines, trust me your hubby will be most grateful
    ....have u not adjusted yet bornatbirth lol....thats the first thing hubby tried how to handle and he's doing very well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information