Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men With Filipina Wives! Languages!!!

Banned

Men With Filipina Wives! Languages!!!

Who here can speak some of their wifes' dialect?

Whether it be Bisaya/Tagalog/Illongo/Chavicano ... or any of the other many many dialects that there are to choose from

What I want to know is ...

-how much of that dialect do you know?
    -have you ever had an interesting/funny moment with it?
    -has it ever gotten you into trouble

For those of you who have never learnt any of your wife's mother-tongue () .... is it because she lives in a place where everyone speaks english?

I look forward to all your thoughts

from

James "Cunning Linguist" Hubbard!

james cunning linguist,,,,,do you speak with a fork tonge james i have been told many women love that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    james cunning linguist,,,,,do you speak with a fork tonge james i have been told many women love that
    Gosh steve mate, lets not get off topic this early into it, i was hoping at least 20 posts before this hahahahahahaha!

I am actually interested in the answer

I know we have pm'd about it .. but its an interesting topic to chat about in the forum

As for forked tongue, yes

that phrase makes me think of a song by "Mr Big" called "Road to Ruin" lolz

They like a forked tongue in a cunning linguist? I couldn't possibly understand what you're saying

James "Constantly Befuddled" Hubbard!

good night james sleep well

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    good night james sleep well
    cheers mate ... thanks for that

James "Pagod Na Pagod" Hubbard!

Banned
    I was shocked when I heard my husband speaking in tagalog.
    He speak a little but he knew most nasty words.

It was his ex girlfriend whom he met in London taught him.

When he was in Pinas with me, he bought a book with full of nasty words like: show me your xxxx in tagalog. It was funny as he always mention some parts of the body he wants to see.

Hi James, I can speak a little Tagalog and some Pampanga, but I wouldn't call myself fluent. I get myself in a mess sometimes when I presume I've understood what's been said because I've picked up a couple of words in a sentence

I like the sound of the Visayan dialect as well. It sounds like they're singing when they talk. A bit like some of the Swiss when they speak German.

Another very important part of any Filipino dialect is respect - knowing when to include "po", "ate", "kuya" etc in the sentence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davey View Post
    HI like the sound of the Visayan dialect as well. It sounds like they're singing when they talk. A bit like some of the Swiss when they speak German.

..???

It sounds as if they would be having a good old fashioned verbal scrap....

My husband has got a full list of nasty and rude words of tagalog! But never say it.
    But the only words he can say are.."oo naman", mahal na mahal kita" and pandesal!"
    I'm a cruel and heartless bitch but I’m damn good at it!

Banned
    I used to work with an Indian dude and the only Filipino he could say was "Malaki ang **** ko" lol ....

on second thought ... that's all he needs to say

I can tell my husband is not so interested about how to learn to speak even just a few words of Tagalog or Ilocano (my dialect). He's just laughing at me when I speak my own with my family so it'll be a miracle if he does wake up and at least try his very best one day...

but d'you know what? he was pretending he was so keen about anything and everything when he went to the Philippines to first meet me. Little did I know he was just trying to win my heart.. bless him
    Taka care now & Bye!.... Venus

its really cute and funny when a westener is trying to speak tagalog but it warms our heart as you take the time to learn and understand our language

I would love to learn, but like with most things, I feel that to learn successfuly you need to be doing it everyday. If you are lucky enough to be with your mahal who is fluent, picking up words and phrases would be far easier and using them as you go aids learning. Unfortunately, spending precious time trying to learn over yahoo is not a real option (for me anyway) Being in Phils full time will certainly make me a more active learner.

Banned
    ya

that's how i picked up bisaya

i had no choice

only the doctors and lawyers spoke english lol

It makes me love my husband more when he is trying to learn tagalog becoz it is still slang i dont want to laugh as i may discourage him to try to learn
    few words like....mahal kita,kamusta ka na?,masarap,huwag hawhawakan na..para po,salamat po
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    mahal kita,kamusta ka na?,masarap,huwag hawhawakan na..para po,salamat po
    Barry will surely make reply if I tell such words

Mahal na mahal din kita, mabuti, hindi masarap kasi mabaho, ipakita mo hahawakan ko, walang anuman, o sige po paalam.
    He knows that Mari.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Barry will surely make reply if I tell such words

Mahal na mahal din kita, mabuti, hindi masarap kasi mabaho, ipakita mo hahawakan ko, walang anuman, o sige po paalam.
    He knows that Mari.
    nearly feel off my chair laffing
    yes ate pen,my hubby is just starting to learn now we are together properly.,but it seems like he have a keen to understand naughty words first
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

its very hard to learn a new langauge if you are not in that country, i think you learn better that way , but hoping to speak in both tonges when emma is here , some english words emma dont understand , most words emma and her family know i dont , so we will be helping each other i hope, and i dont know any naughty words either

Banned
    Speaking in tongues!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    It makes me love my husband more when he is trying to learn tagalog becoz it is still slang i dont want to laugh as i may discourage him to try to learn
    few words like....mahal kita,kamusta ka na?,masarap,huwag hawhawakan na..para po,salamat po
    indi ka magsiling sina kay mura kag buang nga tanga hehehehe..perte ka nga babaye oi..nagsaleg ka cegro kung huna huna moh mandato ka kay nakakaban ka sang enlgish lol..perete sa imo ka hambog nga babaye oi...hay ambot kung ogma may ara ka nga future..kung makahambal ka genselng nga ika ay sama sang hamlgdun nga baho pa sa lupa..kasabot ka ..! hehehehe sunod mag hunan huna ka kung kinsa imo genakalaban ha..aywa pag cge post kung wla kay idea sin -o ko,.,...gaga !

Banned
    We have a pretty good deal going with the language thingy. If she ever comes to England we will speak in my native tongue, and whenever I'm there we will speak in English

I find it a laugh to learn new bisaya words/phrases (usually looked up online) then surprise her with it by dropping it into a conversation. Always gets a giggle Except the phrase, "No! Me kuripot"

spent 5 years- 2 of them in Thailand learning to speak Thai/Isaan then i married a Filipina

so i give up and wait for them to speak english - which my wife is more than fluent in
    however my advise is learn it on the quiet and hear what they are saying about you

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    We have a pretty good deal going with the language thingy. If she ever comes to England we will speak in my native tongue, and whenever I'm there we will speak in English
    Sounds reasonable enough to me

I find it a laugh to learn new bisaya words/phrases (usually looked up online) then surprise her with it by dropping it into a conversation. Always gets a giggle Except the phrase, "No! Me kuripot"
    When i lived in the Visayas, I always used a deep bisaya (read - rarely used) word meaning the same as Kuripot! It's "Tihik" lolz

murag tihik ko, pero, tinuod walay ko kwarta! lolz!

sparky
    spent 5 years- 2 of them in Thailand learning to speak Thai/Isaan then i married a Filipina

Suwanni Krap!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    indi ka magsiling sina kay mura kag buang nga tanga hehehehe..perte ka nga babaye oi..nagsaleg ka cegro kung huna huna moh mandato ka kay nakakaban ka sang enlgish lol..perete sa imo ka hambog nga babaye oi...hay ambot kung ogma may ara ka nga future..kung makahambal ka genselng nga ika ay sama sang hamlgdun nga baho pa sa lupa..kasabot ka ..! hehehehe sunod mag hunan huna ka kung kinsa imo genakalaban ha..aywa pag cge post kung wla kay idea sin -o ko,.,...gaga !
    Ya, hmm, it's interesting, ...

if you post in Bisaya ... hmmm

not many people here will "kasabot"

alayon day ... Kabalo ka mosulti ug english?

Everyone here speaks english, very few speak Bisaya. Could you please translate for us what you mean?

Thanks

JH

I found it easier to learn the swear words first and then work my way up from there.
    As someone else said..I very rarely let on just how much I speak or understand when I meet people..Its almost like mind reading as they will waffle on about you as if you were not there..Both an entertaining and enlightening experience to say the least. I sometimes pretend to be a non English speaking Italian tourist...That really gets them going!!

Banned
    Fred, I am exactly the same!

Although, do u find it hard to maintain your ostensible ignorance of the language?

I found when living in the Phils that when pretending to be "clueless" I got very clued in

but then people cottoned on, and it wasn't so easy!

what do u think?

Quote Originally Posted by James Hubbard View Post
    -how much of that dialect do you know?
    -have you ever had an interesting/funny moment with it?
    -has it ever gotten you into trouble

For those of you who have never learnt any of your wife's mother-tongue () .... is it because she lives in a place where everyone speaks english?
    My (future) Asawa speaks Tagalog and English fluently. I've begun studying it as of a few months ago during the beginning of our relationship and during my first visit to her in April. I am still at a basic level but my understand and grasp is good (in my opinion). I am studying hard though and i know its appreciated.

Funny moments? Yes - when i surprised some Filipinos in a restaurant. I was asked to join them in a photo and i was still eating some of the delicious food they had made me. As they were beckoning me, i garbled "Kain ako", which means i am eating (still). They were surprised i could even say such a thing - and at the right time. Maybe not funny as such - but interesting. Never in trouble! And i dont plan for that either!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hubbard View Post
    Ya, hmm, it's interesting, ...

if you post in Bisaya ... hmmm

not many people here will "kasabot"

alayon day ... Kabalo ka mosulti ug english?

Everyone here speaks english, very few speak Bisaya. Could you please translate for us what you mean?

Thanks

JH
    not bisaya its illongo...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    not bisaya its illongo...
    is Illonggo not a Visayan language and therefore Bisaya??

Yes, it's not Cebuano - that much is true - otherwise i would have understood it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information