Thread: unemployed and frustrated

Newbie (Restricted Access)

unemployed and frustrated

Been job hunting for more than a month.
    And my phone has been ringing everyday with calls from recruiters.
    They all seem to think I'm a good candidate, until they hear that I'm Filipino(didn't know nationality matters) and I graduated from a Philippine university(it's written in my CV if they looked closer).
    After hearing that all they seem to say is "Oh, Oooook, I'll tell you what, I'll put your CV in my database" or, "Oh, you're not the perfect candidate for the position, I mean the position is not perfect for you."
    Really frustrating. I didn't think it would be this hard to get a job here in UK. I just want to go home!
    Hehe, just whining guys.

Hehehehe hang in there! What did you study at uni anyway?

Learn LOA

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Banned
    Apo-Shark ... we need you!!!!!!

"Law of Attraction"

Crybaby, according to the Law of Attraction, you're "attracting" the lack of a job into your life, so, ...as the lore goes ... you'd need to attract different things, good things, into your life

Ok, then, when you realise that doesn't really work, then ....

here's my advice

--

Don't worry about these setbacks. Yes, they'll prefer graduates from Universities in this Country over foreign graduates, and I am sure that you can appreciate that. The reason is because they at least know exactly what they're getting (in theory).

The thing YOU must do is make yourself stand out, make yourself shine, and work your ass off to get a job. It's not easy, especially now.

These last few years have been the worst and hardest times to be looking for a job.

Things will be better.

Just be willing to work harder than others to get a job. Do things that others won't do.

I remember I once spent 11 hours per day , every day, for about 2 weeks trying to find a job - in the summer that here was the hottest.

It was worth it ... landed a great one

so there is still hope

James "Hope" Hubbard!

Banned
    my last few posts have been double posts ... but I'm not hitting send twice ... there may be some glitch in the forum, otherwise it's just my computer ....

(or maybe I'm "attracting it" )

Respected Member
    You can get this official statement which explains and compares the qualification so as to explain to a UK employer what exactly your qualification is worth in the UK. I can't remember who supplies these, but you apply online because I know my missus has one. May be useful for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    You can get this official statement which explains and compares the qualification so as to explain to a UK employer what exactly your qualification is worth in the UK. I can't remember who supplies these, but you apply online because I know my missus has one. May be useful for you.
    That;s right

deja-vu!

I can't remember the name of the company, but I do know that their details can be obtained by contacting the post-grad facility of any major University

i know its hard, my wife as had the same problem, a lot of these jobs are advertised by agencies and will only put the best people forward.

1.try going to employers directly
    2.try some volunteer work to fill your time and gain some experience
    3.lie on your job application and cv to suit the job
    4.apply for any job to pratice your interview technique
    5.try not to stay to one job type and give anything a try a until something better comes up

i told my wife to apply for a job and not bother to say anything about her work history and she got the job , this is after many months of her trying just like you and got demoralized and wanted to go home and she was trying for any job.

it will get better so dont give up and im sure you will get something more suitable for you
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    it's http://www.naric.org.uk/

many employers or agencies cannot be if they think you might need a permit to work, so make it clear what your immgration status is and you have a right to work
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by cryBaby View Post
    Been job hunting for more than a month.
    And my phone has been ringing everyday with calls from recruiters.
    They all seem to think I'm a good candidate, until they hear that I'm Filipino(didn't know nationality matters) and I graduated from a Philippine university(it's written in my CV if they looked closer).
    After hearing that all they seem to say is "Oh, Oooook, I'll tell you what, I'll put your CV in my database" or, "Oh, you're not the perfect candidate for the position, I mean the position is not perfect for you."
    Really frustrating. I didn't think it would be this hard to get a job here in UK. I just want to go home!
    Hehe, just whining guys.
    hi crybaby,

i know its really hard to look for job here in the UK especially we are foreigners (esp. Filipino) and it will really takes time. I just wanna share to you my journey in finding way for my career progress. When I got my FLR I looked for a job right away, anything that includes working in the nursing home, I had a degree in Marine biology with good employment record back home. My husband told me not to apply for the job in nursing home but I told him I'll do anything just to get a job and so I did get one, 2 weeks after i had my FLR. I know its a bit hard but as long as youre enjoying it, there's no problem. While I'm working part time in the home, I'm doing volunteer works in the charity shops in my spare time. With this I'm gaining experience in sales and also working in health care institution.

Once you started working and you had put it in your CV that you had experience already in the UK, your CV will be good enough for the employer. ANd try to apply directly to employers. Now, i've been into many interviews in different jobs and turn down few offers. In line with my field, I had two interviews already but unlucky in getting the it.

I hope you'll get a job soonish.. Just keep on going, don't lose hope. There's something waiting for you down the road.

Hope it helps.

Godbless you...

a nice read abby never give up , then something will come along

thanks stevewool.. i've cried a lot when i wasn't able to get the job in the field that i wanted. But the tears will stop after releasing the disappointments and get ready for the adventure of this wonderful life.

Be positive always...

Quote Originally Posted by abby View Post
    I had a degree in Marine biology with good employment record back home. .
    that's what my misses wanted to do back in the phils if she was not going to be a doc

yes its difficult getting your first job, it took many months for my wife to get her first job, she applied for many types of jobs, got a few rejection letters, but finally managed to get a part time one working for the NHS, stayed at the same job for 4yrs while she passed her exams to register as a doc here.
    then took the risk of quitting her secure part time job and take a 3 month job as a SHO (just above a junior doc) they extended it for another 3 months and now shes quit that to do FY1 (foundation year - what British docs do after internship)

so sometimes you have to take risks, keep on applying, don't give up and slowly but surely you will get there
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

thanks stevewool.. i've cried a lot when i wasn't able to get the job in the field that i wanted. But the tears will stop after releasing the disappointments and get ready for the adventure of this wonderful life.

Be positive always...
    why what's stopping you ? have you had your degree checked with http://www.naric.org.uk/ to see what's it equivalent to in the UK ?

dont give up..

Banned
    Just don't give up and don't go home.
    Remember, you're not alone and other are hunting for months or maybe years.
    Health Care is easiest and you can try it.

I don't give up either in looking for the job I will enjoy most.
    I'm enjoying in our factory as I have gaining lots of friends there and can work 12 hours/day 6 days a week.

Goodluck gurl!

more than a month is really not a long time just carry on..ur in foreign land with different set of standard in hiring employee so expect difficulties...dont get yourself upset and disappointed over rejection but instead take it as a big challenge..if hubby is capable of supporting u without u working then there's no need rushing to work..chill and relax...u cannot expect all employer to like u so what if they dont anyway..just keep trying i know u'll find one soon

Thank you guys for your encouraging words.
    I thought about working in charity shops too since it wont cost me anything coz we're 5 minutes from the town center. I will also try looking in different sectors and have my degree evaluated. I guess I can't get my ideal job right away, and having a job and gaining experience in UK are more important at the moment.
    Really thanks guys. Hope I'll find a job soon. I'll keep you posted ^_^

Don't be upset crybaby, there are a lot more opportunities in the UK than in the Philippines.
    Don't give up.
    It's not the end of the road.
    You have to carry on as normal.
    You never know, you might find a job that will suit you when you least expect it.
    Why don't you read this link (about being unemployed), put your feet up and laugh for a while?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...k-in-work.html

... goodluck to your job hunt
    Taka care now & Bye!.... Venus

I had a degree in Marine biology with good employment record back home. .
    I wonder what the process in the UK is to have your degree validated or recognised?

Try contacting the British accreditation council for advice regarding your degree..
    Dont give up so easily..even if it means going back to Uni for another year or two..

219 St. John Street

London EC1V 4LY
    Tel: +44 (0) 20 7608 7960
    Fax: +44 (0) 20 7608 7961
    Email: info@study-uk.org

http://www.study-uk.org/study-uk/contact-us/

Banned
    Oh, Joe Bloggs gave the link in post 13

this one here

James "Linkman" Hubbard.

I'm doing volunteer works in the charity shops in my spare time.
    Excellent of Abby's ... voluntary work often "opens doors" to full and part-time PAID employment!

Quote Originally Posted by James Hubbard View Post
    Oh, Joe Bloggs gave the link in post 13

this one here

James "Linkman" Hubbard.
    No Mr linkman..His link was to http://www.naric.org.uk/
    Do that again and your sacked!!

Cry baby, youare not alone.Sometimes we need to be flexible so that we could get a job.Hassle while you wait...just like what the other friends and members said..Me it
    took me 8 months before i got a job here in UK.I volunteered in schools, and othe organizations to have a "UK experience".I got a job that is not my line but am happy and contented .Im thinking of pursuing a degree so that i will be promoted someday.hehehehe....

..... I had a degree in Marine biology ...
    Sounds like a great job.... dissecting US Marines
    Keith - Administrator

Run your own ebay shop...?

There other ways of making £££ than just getting a job you know hehe

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Hi everyone! Thank you for your replies.
    I feel a lot better.

and thanks for this
    it was a good read, hope I don't have to go to that extent though

I'm now looking at other jobs, mostly clerical.
    And even though I got rejected several times, I gained experience in phone interviews, and now feel more confident with talking to people. I don't stammer as much and my answers are more coherent and organized. So it is a learning experience and will help me get a job.
    Thank you for your suggestions too.

Banned
    that's the right attitude

with that focus, now, it's only a matter of time and a numbers game until you get that job

my friend is british and has a degree and in I.T and cant get a good job, in the last 4 years he has worked only 18 months on contracts, and his references from these jobs are fantastic. So its not just racial its hard times.

i dont think its discrimination (even brits has to go through the same frustration when lookin for job) i did used an agency for the job that i got now and they were really good. My being filipino was never an issue.
    you just have to be patient and persevere. all the best.

Banned
    hi crybaby,

that's life here... foreigners really have a hard time looking for work as ideally, employers would have to employ locals first... keep looking.. keep searching.. stretch your patience a bit more.. and pretty soon, you'll get something...

It took me about 4 months to find a job... that's coupled with sangkatutak of prayers as well... ehehehe....

One thing as well that you can do is to volunteer so that you can get some references, which will greatly help you find the proper job. Worked well with me when I put references with local addresses. I didn't go to an agency because I was told that you'll have better chances of getting an interview if you go direct.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cryBaby View Post
    Hope I'll find a job soon. I'll keep you posted ^_^

Goodluck girl!!
    positive thinking and a smile do wonders
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Thread Information