Thread: Kinalas, anyone?

Smile Kinalas, anyone?

Okay, I know I haven't logged on in over a year (not since 20 August 2009, even!), but I got busy with my thesis and I'm almost done.

I just have one question that's been on my mind for weeks now, and this seemed like a good place to ask it. Can anyone share a recipe for Kinalas?

kinalas? this is the first time that i heard of it... try browsing the internet

welcome back

kinalas? this is the first time that i heard of it... try browsing the internet for recipe suggestions

welcome back

dontpushme,
    Do you mean Kinilaw?
    This is a raw tuna salad.
    Personally I love this and it's very simple to prepare. But you need to use very fresh tuna.

so kinalas is kinilaw??? yeah its very good especially if use really fresh tuna

Kinalas is a noodle soup(Mami) from Bicol Province..beef strips or pork head (skinned) with loads of spices,roasted garlic,dried siling labuyo(chilli),spring onions,boiled egg...a splash of patis and kalamansi
    my yaya cooked this for me ,... and omg..i didnt slept properly the whole night
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Sars_notd_virus
    Hey I didn't know that!
    I will ask my wife as soon as she wakes up. {she just returned from RP and cannot wake up just now he he he}
    By the way WHY not properly sleeping???

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Sars_notd_virus
    Hey I didn't know that!
    I will ask my wife as soon as she wakes up. {she just returned from RP and cannot wake up just now he he he}
    By the way WHY not properly sleeping???
    wifey must be having a jetlag lol
    kinalas must be too spicy for me thats why i had trouble sleeping that night

Sars_notd_virus
    OMG I didn't such jetlag!!!!!!!!
    But I like spicy so I will ask her to cook for me!!

Thanks Rani!

Yeah, Kinalas is a soup we have in Bicol. But I wasn't smart enough to ask for a recipe. Now I'm not even in contact with anyone who knows how to make it. It's so good you'd wanna have it every day. In fact, it's so good that President GMA's son once went to Bicol to visit his alma mater and told all his friends he'd treat them to merienda or dinner. They all got dressed really nice since they thought he was taking them to somewhere fancy and expensive. Haha! But he went straight for the karinderya and bought kinalas for his friends and his body guards. I only know coz one of my cousins was among the guys who dressed up only to eat at some cheap hole in the wall.

@ sars_notd_virus:
    OMG, would you know how to make kinalas? I've been looking for kinalas since I left Bicol in 2005. :( It's nowhere in Manila and it's definitely nowhere here in Arkansas.

Respected Member
    im more than half bicolana but i never heard of kinalas hahaha. maybe it just wasnt a frequent dish of my relatives

anyway, as i suggested here before. there are youtube users who offer recipes and how-to's for wifeys abroad. they teach you how to cook your fave meals even if you lack some ingredients or will tell you what to use as replacements. they will also point you to some specialty stores of ingredients that are hard-to-find.

i googled kinalas and found out this is like a soup version or near pansit luglog. there are many recipes online.
    Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Whatever is meant to be will always find its way.

I got excited when I read your suggestion to check youtube (for some reason, it just never occurred to me to check there). Unfortunately, the only results I got when I did a search for "kinalas" was a channel by someone called Kinalas. They didn't have any kinalas recipes anywhere!

hi dontpushme
    i have been looking for the recipe all i have found is

"The flavor of Kinalas and Log-Log springs from their sauce and broth, which both depend on an entirely humble component – skinned pork or cow head. Often disposed after obtaining the parts of the face for sisig, the whole skull is simmered to make a full-bodied broth. Before anyone cringes, allow me to explain that using pig/cow skull to make soup is not savagery but sheer ingenuity. The great cuisines of the world – Chinese, French, Italian – have long depended on bones to make really good stock to give boldness to their soups, stews, and sauces. Bones, which consist of collagen and mineral salts, are packed with flavor. As they are slow-cooked, they release their essence and give a deep taste to the stock. Swine and bovine skulls are pure bones that are not only cheap and readily available, but also vital in releasing a rich taste without the fats from those with marrow.

To make Kinalas, the [fall-off-the-bones] meat is stripped off from the simmered head [hence the name], cut, and scattered atop the noodles and sauce before the broth is poured in. A bowl is served piping hot with a sprinkle of chopped spring onions, toasted garlic bits, a whole boiled egg, and a range of condiments on the side. Such condiments include patis, sliced calamansi or vinegar infused with chili and onions [for a subtle tang to the broth], and a handful of fresh siling labuyo [to fire up each spoonful]. For those who do not have asbestos-lined palates like most Bicolanos, there is always ground black pepper."

content is from http://dashashash.wordpress.com/tag/kinalas/
    hope this helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by dontpushme View Post

@ sars_notd_virus:
    OMG, would you know how to make kinalas? I've been looking for kinalas since I left Bicol in 2005. :( It's nowhere in Manila and it's definitely nowhere here in Arkansas.
    sorry dear only my 'yaya' knows the recipe ..she's not really from bicol but she's a good cook ...give a try on mikey's post above

basically, its the spices that makes it different!!!(siling labuyo/roasted garlic/ground pepper/spring onions)..good to have on cold,nasty weather

I agree, Sars! I used to look for kinalas during typhoon season. Mmmm, I want it so bad I can almost taste it!

Thanks for looking it up, Mikey! I knew it was made with a pig's head, but I wasn't gonna attempt to make it without a recipe. My family doesn't call me the kitchen disaster for nothing. (I know distracted people can burn water even if they're otherwise great cooks, but I have yet to meet anyone else who's exploded a can of condensed milk all over the kitchen walls/ceiling/behind the fridge/under the stove even). So, anyway, lol, I think I'll badger my older relatives back in Bicol to see if one of them has any idea how to spice kinalas and how to make the gravy. I've already got the siling labuyo and I'm sure it won't be hard to find a pig's head.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey73 View Post
    hi dontpushme
    i have been looking for the recipe all i have found is

"The flavor of Kinalas and Log-Log springs from their sauce and broth, which both depend on an entirely humble component – skinned pork or cow head. Often disposed after obtaining the parts of the face for sisig, the whole skull is simmered to make a full-bodied broth. Before anyone cringes, allow me to explain that using pig/cow skull to make soup is not savagery but sheer ingenuity. The great cuisines of the world – Chinese, French, Italian – have long depended on bones to make really good stock to give boldness to their soups, stews, and sauces. Bones, which consist of collagen and mineral salts, are packed with flavor. As they are slow-cooked, they release their essence and give a deep taste to the stock. Swine and bovine skulls are pure bones that are not only cheap and readily available, but also vital in releasing a rich taste without the fats from those with marrow.

To make Kinalas, the [fall-off-the-bones] meat is stripped off from the simmered head [hence the name], cut, and scattered atop the noodles and sauce before the broth is poured in. A bowl is served piping hot with a sprinkle of chopped spring onions, toasted garlic bits, a whole boiled egg, and a range of condiments on the side. Such condiments include patis, sliced calamansi or vinegar infused with chili and onions [for a subtle tang to the broth], and a handful of fresh siling labuyo [to fire up each spoonful]. For those who do not have asbestos-lined palates like most Bicolanos, there is always ground black pepper."

content is from http://dashashash.wordpress.com/tag/kinalas/
    hope this helps a little
    I studied Culinary arts for awhile and i like tryig and experimenting with soup stuff what you said Mike about the Bones/skull and these ewwiiie stuffs are true. slowly boiled stock of this letfovers makes the best of everything soup, sauces etc..
    anyways this kinalas sounds good. i'm trying it without the chili
    "I am stronger than depression and I am braver than loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me."

Quote Originally Posted by LuisaKC View Post
    anyways this kinalas sounds good. i'm trying it without the chili
    I wish I could send you the taste of kinalas so you'd know how it should be. The description mikey found didn't say much about the gravy that's served with kinalas.

I still haven't found anyone willing to give me a pig's head. Folks here are weird! They can't seem to get past the factg that I've never been squeamish around animal carcasses. But my dad used to slaughter sheep behind our house and I always loved poking around in the still-moving offal before getting shooed away for playing with food. LOL! That being said, I haven't actually been around anything but supermarket cuts in over a decade. And even though people here in Arkansas hunt game animals, noone seems to be willing to give me the parts they don't want to eat.

If you know where to get your offal, I bet you could make a lot of Filipino dishes!

I wish I could send you the taste of kinalas so you'd know how it should be. The description mikey found didn't say much about the gravy that's served with kinalas.

I still haven't found anyone willing to give me a pig's head. Folks here are weird! They can't seem to get past the factg that I've never been squeamish around animal carcasses. But my dad used to slaughter sheep behind our house and I always loved poking around in the still-moving offal before getting shooed away for playing with food. LOL! That being said, I haven't actually been around anything but supermarket cuts in over a decade. And even though people here in Arkansas hunt game animals, noone seems to be willing to give me the parts they don't want to eat.

If you know where to get your offal, I bet you could make a lot of Filipino dishes!
    hi

i have looked online and i found next to nothing about kinalas and how to cook it. what i posted was the most a found. its strange the recipe is not available online. there is a facebook page for kinalas (it comes up if you google kinalas) maybe someone there might be able to help with the recipe.

Thanks, Mikey! I'll ask around there and if I get a recipe, I'll share it here. That stuff's good! Mmm....

Thanks, Mikey! I'll ask around there and if I get a recipe, I'll share it here. That stuff's good! Mmm....
    hi dontpushme
    found this recipe, for pancit lomi
    Lomi Recipe Ingredients:

* 1/4 kilo flat lomi noodles
    * 1/2 cup pork, sliced into strips
    * 1/2 cup shrimps, shelled
    * 1/4 cup chopped ham
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
    * 1 cup shredded cabbage
    * 1 tbsp. chopped carrots
    * 6-7 cups chicken or meat broth
    * 2 tbsp. cooking oil
    * 1 tbsp. cornstarch.dissolved in water
    * 2 raw eggs
    * 2 tbsp. patis
    * salt to taste

Lomi Cooking Instructions:

1). Saute garlic and onion.

2). When garlic and onion are in golden brown, you may add pork, shrimps, and ham.

3). Add patis; stir for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and simmer until water is almost dry.

4). Add broth. Cover and let boil for 10 minutes.

5). Drop in noodles, carrots, and shredded cabbage. Let boil for 3 minutes and thicken with dissolved cornstarch.

6). Put off the heat.

7). Beat eggs and stir in. Do not boil.

Best serve immediately after cooking.

its not kinalas, but it looks tasty. might be worth trying.

recipe is from:-
    http://philippinesfoodrecipes.blogsp...ncit-lomi.html

Mmm, looks tasty. You're right, it isn't kinalas (it's got shrimp and ham!) but I like lomi too.

Thread Information