There are many reasons why nearly two-thirds of British put off this seemingly arduous task. But designating a day for a little unpleasantness can help relieve many days/ weeks even years of heartache for loved-ones in the future.

It's not really a case of why you should make a will but of why you shouldn't fail to. If you die intestate (in other words without a will) you run the risk of leaving behind a trail of stress, cost and even family feuds.

Wills are the responsibility of us all, regardless of the level of our wealth and assets. Without wills, when we die, our loved ones are left with the headache of sorting out our estate, often frustrated that the government rules of intestacy determine who gets what of our possessions, even deciding the future care of our younger children, if we have any

For example, once all of your liabilities have been accounted for, such as outstanding loans or overdrafts, your remaining assets will not automatically go to your current spouse if you are without a will.

If you don’t have any children, the law entitles your spouse to the first £200,000 of assets, and 50% of the remainder - the rest could end up with your parents, brothers and sisters and other relatives. The worst-case scenario is if you die single without any children. In this instance, and in the absence of any other surviving relatives, your entire estate and possessions are likely to be passed to the Crown!

I have had a Will for many years and I have always kept it up to date but I wonder just how many people either have a Will that is totally out of date ................. or don’t have one at all. What does everyone think?