Thread: Relocating back to the UK with Filipino Wife and son,

Relocating back to the UK with Filipino Wife and son,

HI all,

i need advice as whats best to do here,

I have been with my wife for over a year (marrying in singapore last december), we lived together in Singapore as well as Brunei (where she had dependants visa with me no problem)

We now also have a son, (british passport alreadY)

Problem is we are thinking of moving back to the uk to live, what is the best way to do this?

1. we wont have a place of our own, (my parents would put us up for the first few months until i get a job etc) and they could provide letters stating this.

Which visa should we apply for? anything to watch out for?

I could still potentially have this job and could have this ocmpany just say that i would be based in the uk from x date.

probem is i havent paid my NI contributions since i left 6 years ago, will this affect the outcome?

will having a son with a uk passport already help the case?

any help / advice would be appreciated.

thanks

welcome to the forum bruneicop
    soon, you'll get answers on your queries

welcome

Respected Member
    We have the same case before me and my husband was live in the state..after we got married i go straight to states..after living there for 2 years we decided to come in uk where my husband from...He was also working in the states for 5 years...what we did was i applied a spouse visa...And it was granted....Just make it sure that your parents are wlling to co-sponsor your wife and you have money in your bank account....We asked a letter from my mum-inlaw stated that we will staying in her house while my husband is looking for a job...A copy of her property( house)...
    I hope it helps.....

welcomeeeeeeeeee

Respected Member
    You'll be applyinf or a spouse visa. A letter from yourself explaining the situation, a letter from your parents explaining you will stay with them, a letter from your company stating your employment and evidence of you financial ability to support your family (including bank statements and wage slips for the last 6 months) without recourse to public funds are the primary documentation you will require.
    The fact you haven't paid NI contributions will not affect your visa process at all, and is not something that the application will look into.
    You will have to provide photocopies of your son and your own passport and a birth certificate of your son showing that your wife is his mother would help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bruneicop View Post
    HI all,

i need advice as whats best to do here,

I have been with my wife for over a year (marrying in singapore last december), we lived together in Singapore as well as Brunei (where she had dependants visa with me no problem)

We now also have a son, (british passport alreadY)

Problem is we are thinking of moving back to the uk to live, what is the best way to do this?

1. we wont have a place of our own, (my parents would put us up for the first few months until i get a job etc) and they could provide letters stating this.

Which visa should we apply for? anything to watch out for?

I could still potentially have this job and could have this ocmpany just say that i would be based in the uk from x date.

probem is i havent paid my NI contributions since i left 6 years ago, will this affect the outcome?

will having a son with a uk passport already help the case?

any help / advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi bruneicop welcome to the forum
    Just to add that you will need to show that there will be no overcrowding at the house of your parents.
    As RickyR said your NI contributions will not impact your visa application. But it might have an impact on any benefits you may think of claiming. I don't know if it would impact any NHS support. Maybe someone here has info on that.

Thank you all so much for your replies,

I will give it a try and see how it goes.

will let you all know.

Thanks

Steve

Newbie (Restricted Access) hillenterprises's Avatar
    hi when i applied for spouse visa, my husband need to show the mortgage agreement of our house, his savings almost everything to say he can support me and our son, coz that is their main worry, you also need to provide marriage contract, divorce decree if you had previous one vice versa if it applies to your wife. your son i think wont need an entry clearace as he holds already a british passport.they are more worried on proving that your relationship to ur wife is genuine.letters from friends,etc. that proves they know both of u as couple would help...

as long as u hold ur british citizenship,despite the fact u havent paid NI contributions for the last 6mos, it wont affect your claim for jobseekers allowance,child benefit etc. and nhs. your wife though is only entitled to nhs but not to other benefit only u can claim other forms of benefit.

hope this helps....

Newbie (Restricted Access) hillenterprises's Avatar
    just a short note on ur NI contribution, once ur in the uk u will be contacted by the NI peeps summarising ur qualifying yrs, then they will ask u why u havent paid any contributions and inform u that u have a gap..in the letter it will say how much u have to pay for the gap period,up to you if u want to pay it or if u cn prove that u dont need to pay it coz u were outside the country or so. its up to you if you want to top up or not...the only downside of this is it will delay you recieving your pension in the near future...

good luck to your application...

Thank you all so much for your replies,

I will give it a try and see how it goes.

will let you all know.

Thanks

Steve
    to you, Steve; are/were you a serving police officer in Brunei? I note that most of your questions have already been answered. But should you require further assistance ... then please don't hesitate to ask ...! Goodluck with your application.

Respected Member
    I just returned to UK with my wife, we lived together in PI for over 3 years, we have a 2 year old son with british passport, similar situation as you, anyway we are now back in UK, i had a friend send me a letter for offer of work with time and date and wages etc, also i had a friend send me a tenancy agreement as i was renting a 2 bed house from him on my return. I think that helped our application also ..

I am sure you will be fine

Trusted Member
    The child will have no problems coming in of course, as a British passport holder.

The post above mine tells you the essentials of what you'll need in your situation as regards employment and accommodation, and the simplest way of satisfying those requirements.

I went the same route after I'd been out of the country for a couple of years and was applying for my stepchildrens' settlement visas. (OUR young son already had British passport, and Filipina wife already had settlement visa with indefinite stay).

I think you'll find that being absent from the UK as long as you have WILL affect certain benefits. It's one of the first questions they'll ask you on any benefits application form. I used to work for them.

Good luck.

Hi All SOrry took so long to reply, i have had to travel extensivly recently.

Situation is still not too clear, my wife is only 20, (not 21 till next year), so i believe we cant apply for a spouse visa, is this correct?

Will the fact that our son is in the uk have any affect on any visa?

My wife is currently in the UK on a 6 month visit visa (genuine holiday) however we are looking to move back in Feb

ANy advise on what i can do? can the visit visa be extended at all until she is 21 and then we can apply for the visit visa?

Trusted Member
    I think others on here should be able to further advise...just replying to bump the post up again.

Also of course refer to UK border agency website, or whatever immigration call themselves now.

Hi All SOrry took so long to reply, i have had to travel extensivly recently.

Situation is still not too clear, my wife is only 20, (not 21 till next year), so i believe we cant apply for a spouse visa, is this correct?

Will the fact that our son is in the uk have any affect on any visa?

My wife is currently in the UK on a 6 month visit visa (genuine holiday) however we are looking to move back in Feb

ANy advise on what i can do? can the visit visa be extended at all until she is 21 and then we can apply for the visit visa?
    when is your wife 21 ? if soon the embassy may sit on your visa app until shes 21, or issue the visa (as by the time you get it and enter the uk she would probably be 21 or near to) but if its many months they might refuse it..

really need to know when shes is 21, but someone on here got a visa a few months b4 they were 21, could well be at the discretion of the case worker but the law is you need to be 21.

i think a visit visa can only be extended in exceptional circumstances and i doubt your wife would qualify for that.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    when is your wife 21 ? if soon the embassy may sit on your visa app until shes 21, or issue the visa (as by the time you get it and enter the uk she would probably be 21 or near to) but if its many months they might refuse it..

really need to know when shes is 21, but someone on here got a visa a few months b4 they were 21, could well be at the discretion of the case worker but the law is you need to be 21.

i think a visit visa can only be extended in exceptional circumstances and i doubt your wife would qualify for that.

HI Joe Bloggs, sorry again for the delay, i was tied up with work and vacation time and forgot i had asked this question.

Wife is 21 in September.

Here is what I am thinking of doing now as my position is changin within my current company.

Wife is on her way back to sunny Brunei from the UK. (she still has 3 months left on her General 6 months multiple entry visa to the UK)

SO we thought when she arrives we could apply for a one year family visit visa, and just say that I will be working on projects in the UK and asia over the next 12 months, (hence the reason for applying for a 1 yr visa) and that she wanted to come and stay with me while I was in the UK.

My company will provide letters for this (I have a very understanding VP and will write anything i need)

if this was granted we know that she would have to leave the UK at some point (not a problem as we would be going on holidays and visits back to asia anyway. BUT when it got to september time we could apply for the spouse visa, (by telling them again situations have changed and will be living in the UK full time)

Is this a good idea?

Should I just go for the spouse one first?

I need to apply on Monday so any help will be appreciated (I promise to not lose this page this time folks)

I should also add that she has now had 2 general 6 month visit visa's approved (first two two week visits and the second for 2 months, so she has shown that she travels etc etc.

god this is so stressful, I hate to think if this doesnt get approved that we will have to be apart until September

Thread Information