The security clearance is the reason that I can't get a job in a lot of places I like in the US. GIS has a lot of uses in the military (think satellite images that can see things as small as a couple of inches plus a person highly trained to analyse where something is happening and what is most likely about to be done next) and I wish I could work for the Philippines, but the Philippines just can't afford the cost of my services plus the cost of the tools I will be using. We can't even afford proper police training over there, for heaven's sake!

My boyfriend flatly refused last year to let me apply for a technical support or customer service job. Maybe now that it's been a year, he'll be more open to the idea.

I guess I should still apply for jobs described as needing experienced applicants. I'm quite frustrated and I'm sure I'm setting myself up for a lot of rejection. I'll do it anyway.

I'm submitting my application for OPT here in the US. That means I have a year to get a job here. If I can't find a reasonable company in the UK (that's willing to hire someone from abroad), I hope my boyfriend can accept the possibility that we won't be together for another two or three years.