I have not posted here for sometime but do drop in for a quick read when i get the chance and it occurs to me the following advice may help some of you. My wife came to england over 4 years ago she hoped to work here so she could continue to help her family as she had done at home she was unable to secure a job, and on a number of occasions we found it was because she had not been issued with a nat insurance number employer insisted that if she was intitled to work she would have one. the office that issue the numbers would only issue one when she was offered a job we didnt pursue this because jasmine became pregnant we decided to sort it out after the baby was born. As some of you will remember Jasmine died 2 days after our son was born. i was advised to go to various offices to get assistance with funeral costs, bearevment benifit widowed parents allowance only to be told that i despite having paid nat insurance for 25years i was not entitled to any help at all. why because jasmine had not been issued with a NI number. basically the system is pants but you dont find out until you actually need it .so guys push to get your asawa her number coz you never know what is around the corner. It may also help you avoid decking the prat at the benifits office when he tells you that your wife and marriage just dont count as far as they are concerned