Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SWEARING part of the English Language???

Is SWEARING part of the English Language???

Ok,so we have a couple of swear words in the Philippines that we use when we are very angry but here In England I have noticed, you have a multitude of swear words and they are used for every occassion, Anger, Pleasure, Happiness, Sadness ...

Is this just normal?? or am I in the wrong crowd as i find myself starting to use it more frequently now as well
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Banned
    No Sars, its not normal to swear like that. It shows you are not able to express yourself without resorting to expletives. We have the finest dictionary in the world, if one cant find words to express well, it just shows a lack of education and reading! just my opinion!

There are plenty of swear words in the English dictionary...
    I use the most colourful of them whilst trying to avoid tricycles, Jeeps and multi cabs.. I find it prevents me from giving them an accidental nudge..

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    No Sars, its not normal to swear like that. It shows you are not able to express yourself without resorting to expletives. We have the finest dictionary in the world, if one cant find words to express well, it just shows a lack of education and reading! just my opinion!
    I fully agree with this.
    Sars, please make an effort not to use swear words as a matter of course. You really don't need to use them to express yourself.

When Carina first started working here in UK she really learnt a lot of NEW words. I explained the meanings and asked her not to use them. It's just not necessary and is so easily used against you as a value judgement.

Personally, I never normally swear in everyday communications. (Well, sometimes I do but I can pick my times).
    I have met plenty of people who use the 'F' word constantly when talking. They don't seem to notice how it offends and embaresses most people especially their wives. Just a complete lack of understanding. Often its such a habit they don't even recogonise they are doing it.
    And not only men, some of Carina's British girlfriends use the worst language imaginable as normal communication.
    In my view not in the least bit appealing. In fact just the opposite.

Whoops! rant over.

Thank you guys and calm down am still not using '' F'' word or F'ing and blinding all over the place...but i noticed swearing is more prevalent here...but am a good girl

How many times have I heard different pinays/pinoys murmer "Putang ina" when stubbing a toe or dropping a dish
    Depends upon the company,if at a neighbours BBQ filled with middle-class professionals(I stick out like a sore thumb)nary a curse nor profanity pass my lips,if with a group of mates Gordon Ramsay himself inhabits my body and my tourettes kicks into over-drive

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Gordon Ramsay himself inhabits my body and my tourettes kicks into over-drive
    Hmm, I know what you mean

when i get fustrated over something i tend to say " for F**ks sake "

when Myrna first came over she used to get upset when i said this thinking it was meant at her so we had to have a conversation were i had to explain it wasnt directed at her but it was just a reactive comment- wish i had known about the "putang ina " then would have made it a lot easier

Most of the people I know swear fairly frequently and some of them are intelligent individuals.

I can be in company where I'm disciplined enough not to swear (usually!). On the other hand if I'm behind the wheel, I've got a whole repertoire of swear words that get used a lot.

Banned
    Im refering to Jamie's post. Im sure if your intelligent friends had filipina wife's, im sure they would curb they swearing. I agree with the swearing behind the wheel. I tend to use the word 'prick' but, not alot! And not with the wife sat next to me, im not brave enough.

of course there was the time when the wife came back from a car boot with some knee high black leather boots and i said ****** me boots with a big grin on my face

thanks for bringing up the topic sars. Working with westerners , i haven't heard them spoken about " F" during meetings with Pinoys, most i can hear ' Bullshit" when they are angry/disappointed. However, when these westerners are in their group and talking the same topic that made one angry or disappointed, the "F" words is like the punctuation mark in every every sentence uttered. I noticed they tend to be sensitive too, knowing that they have been warned about "don't utter that word in a group of pinoys/pinays" .

Is SWEARING part of the English Language???

are you kidding me, of course it is
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Trusted Member
    Too ******* right it is !

(Except in certain circumstances, and in front of the kids).

From my working days men tended to use swear words between themselves, but not if women are present

I noticed the other day my youngest son who is in his 40s swears so much he does not seem to realise he is doing it.
    I agree there is no need for it, but could not say I never have
    Mick.

There are plenty of swear words in the English dictionary...
    I use the most colourful of them whilst trying to avoid tricycles, Jeeps and multi cabs..
    I find it prevents me from giving them the odd accidental nudge.. *****!!

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Ok,so we have a couple of swear words in the Philippines that we use when we are very angry but here In England I have noticed, you have a multitude of swear words and they are used for every occassion, Anger, Pleasure, Happiness, Sadness ...

Is this just normal?? or am I in the wrong crowd as i find myself starting to use it more frequently now as well
    Swearing isn't part of my English language ....... I don't do it at all

swearing in a regular manner...i think u can notice that everywhere even in phils....i think it depends how they brought up and depends on the kind of enviroment they grew up with....upbringing based...as in phils even professionals swears a lot while at work.

i try not to swear, and it only happens when i am upset or angry , which is not very often, but at work well thats differant when you here some people swear infront of there kids too , thats upsetting , that is one thing i have never done but we are all different, plus what is a swear word now days

Interesting thread and some revealing opinions.

Even though the general impact of swearing or profanity seems to be getting less, there are different types of swearing and some words are considered significantly more offensive than others.

It appears that most members here recognise that fact to some degree or other, and may try to avoid the very worst words depending upon who they are talking to.

Well how about depending upon who is within earshot??
    Children?
    Women?
    Elderly?
    Families?

How about swearing as humiliation, provocation,harassment or bullying.

My guess is that the use of racial profanity is the most highly avoided.

I believe that if you have trouble speaking without swearing, you have a problem.
    If every other word in your sentence is **** this or **** that, you have a problem.
    When you think the only 'cool' way to respond to friends or work collegues is by swearing, then you have a problem.

Just my opinion.
    No offence intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mindanao View Post
    However, when these westerners are in their group and talking the same topic that made one angry or disappointed, the "F" words is like the punctuation mark in every every sentence uttered. I noticed they tend to be sensitive too, knowing that they have been warned about "don't utter that word in a group of pinoys/pinays" .

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    when i get fustrated over something i tend to say " for F**ks sake "

when Myrna first came over she used to get upset when i said this thinking it was meant at her so we had to have a conversation were i had to explain it wasnt directed at her but it was just a reactive comment- wish i had known about the "putang ina " then would have made it a lot easier
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    They don't seem to notice how it offends and embaresses most people especially their wives. Just a complete lack of understanding. Often its such a habit they don't even recogonise they are doing it.

This is true!!...when I was still in LDR with my hubby I often remind him to ''mind his language'',, only if he is feeling sick and upset that he swears a lot...but when I came here I was amused on how it was used in all parts of emotions...(e.g ..I'm f*** feeling so low ,Oh b****** i won the lottery!! wtf is wrong with you??oh my that girl is f'ing b****is awesome!!)

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    (Except in certain circumstances, and in front of the kids).
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Interesting thread and some revealing opinions.

Even though the general impact of swearing or profanity seems to be getting less, there are different types of swearing and some words are considered significantly more offensive than others.

It appears that most members here recognise that fact to some degree or other, and may try to avoid the very worst words depending upon who they are talking to.

Well how about depending upon who is within earshot??
    Children?
    Kids are very intelligent these days ...my daughter often asked us about some swear words and we explain her what it means and we remind her that it is bad and not correct to use it as what she hears it..only when being provoke to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post

I agree there is no need for it, but could not say I never have
    Mick.
    You got it Mick!! ...its good to know some 'bad' words and utilize it !!and not be able to have a slap on the face and say thank you and same to you??...
    in other words and in simple terms, just like any other foreigner in a different country ,we should learn the swear words first so we may be able to defend ourselves in simple and abrupt manner..without looking at the dictionary or the mighty google!!

Correct me if im wrong guys but British people is also known for being polite and carry their manners on their shoulders everyday,its part of their culture ...hearing and saying thank you,pardon me,sorry being uttered 10times or more in a day ,but swearing is also part of it,just being nosey!!

Very interesting subject this.. Personally swearing does not offend me in the least..

"MYTH: Swearing shows a poor ability to express oneself.

In contrast, swearing is very expressive. On the surface, the directive **** off! denotes the same as go away! but the connotations of the former as far more telling and descriptive.

Does this accuser expect poetry and Wildean wit every time you open your ******* mouth? Nah…people who use this criticism are just pissed off because you swore at them and want to seek a higher moral ground. These are people who are pompous and prejudiced about language, and admire things like good ‘penmanship’."

http://www.bad-language.com/****

Banned
    Why is it folk in The Philippines rarely use the words Thank you, please pardon ? I found that suprising if not shocking at first , thats was the first words I had drumed into me as a child at junior school, seeing how they use English as base in school. I agree to a point with Fred's last post.

Trusted Member
    Probably because the Yanks don't use it much either, and that's where their 'English' comes from.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Why is it folk in The Philippines rarely use the words Thank you, please pardon ? I found that suprising if not shocking at first , thats was the first words I had drumed into me as a child at junior school, seeing how they use English as base in school. I agree to a point with Fred's last post.
    Because most of them are saying salamat po, paki (please) or pasensya na.

I have heard plenty people say pardon me po, sori po, thank you po, but our family and friends are very polite.

Why is it folk in The Philippines rarely use the words Thank you, please pardon ?
    No idea Gwapito but it really ****** me off as well!! Certain malls in Manila are training their staff to be ultra polite which actually makes a pleasant change..
    Here in Bohol the checkout girls are a bunch of miserable *******s and I for one resent handing over the cash at times..
    Today I picked up a bag of rice (5 Kilos) and it split in my hands..rice everywhere!! In the UK I would apologise and show signs of regret..Here I just pick up another bag and head for the check out..

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    Because most of them are saying salamat po, paki (please) or pasensya na.

I have heard plenty people say pardon me po, sori po, thank you po, but our family and friends are very polite.
    Jim...I have been told that I over use the words Salamat and paki.. It has been suggested Im being OTT!!...Oh well....When in Rome..

Banned
    Sorry Jim I will have to disagree with you on that one. I dont think for one moment they are using there Tagalog versions. Fred's is spot on again. He does live there, after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information