Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight - A true story

Respected Member

Losing Weight - A true story

In 2007 I was 76 kg. My alcohol consumption was pretty high around then, and kept going up. I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver, attributed to the alcohol in 2008. In October 2010 I was 96kg!
    I realised at 96kg, that the weight was out of control (my ideal weight according to BMI is less then 80kg). I looked bloated, hadn't exercised in a long time and was drinking too much.

In November I embarked on a new regime, and as of today am now down to 84 kg, and still losing weight.

I haven't starved myself, I haven't gone on a no carbs diet or anything rediculous. I hate eating salads, and couldn't survive on that.

1) I stopped drinking alcohol completely
    2) I stopped drinking anything other then water, and started drinking 2 to 3 litres of water a day.
    3) I stopped eating fast foods, sweets, candies, soft drinks.
    4) Reduced down to a minimum the eating of red meats
    5) Eat porridge oats (made with water) and natural honey for breakfast
    6) Eat a fairly normal lunch, but a smaller portion without seconds, and mostly fish or chicken and vegetables style.
    7) Eat a fairly normal dinner, but a smaller portion with seconds, and the same as lunch, mostly just chicken or fish and vegetables.
    8) Stopped snacking with unhealthy snacks through the day, just eat an apple or something.
    9) Take a walk for 1 hour every evening
    10) Do 30 minutes in the gym most 3 or 4 days a week, getting a good sweat up running 5 km. (started being barely able to run for 10 minutes, but nevermind).
    11) Do a few situps and pushups, slowly building up to a few more in the mornings.

Not really gone drastic or particularly starved myself. But it's working very well, and isn't that difficult. OK I'm 26 and the metabolism is recovering pretty well, but would recommend anyone wanting to lose weight to do something similar. The fad diets just make you starving and you end up binge eating or putting the weight back on.

Whats your height Ricky?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    181 cm

Trusted Member
    Well done Ricky
    Fad diets, as the name suggests, are not recommended ! Your regime seems sensible, coupled with exercise
    "Fatty liver"
    (usually requiring biopsy for confirmation) is accumulation of triglycerides in liver cells and may be due to damage by alcohol - but it's also seen in obesity and other conditions. The good news is ...it's reversible .
    BMI (Body Mass Index) is correlated with body fat.
    It's weight in kilograms divided by height in metres squared.Your BMI was originally 23 (OK), went up to 29 (overweight) and is now 25 (upper limit of desirable). (Over 30 is "obese", with increased risk of several diseases, and under 18.5 has other health risks).
    I'm sure you're feeling and looking better already

Respected Member
    Well done Ricky. Similar story to myself, I went from 90+ kgs about 10 yrs ago to around 70 - 75Kgs by cutting out sugary foods and treats and alcohol. (In imperial, I'm 6 feet tall and weigh between 11 and 11 and a half stone, 30 - 32 inch waist). I've managed to maintain it for a long time, although I do allow myself a few treats when I'm in the Phil's on holiday. 10 -15 minutes exercise a day is all it takes to burn off any excess calories, and it also makes you feel good about yourself I usually do 50 sit ups, 50 - 100 press ups and a few sets of reps with a 10kg dumbell.

Good going Ricky, hope you do not mind, I have copied your list and will try again with renewed hope

But I do like Cranberry Juice
    Mick.

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Being in the same line of work as Ricky I've found I've put a fair bit of weight on myself. In old money I'm 6ft 4in and weigh just shy of 15 stone (about 97kg). I am fairly broad though and for a good few years I had a 34inch waist but as soon as I got over 30 I found I was putting weight on like no ones buisness, my waist is 36 inch now!! Due to work my weight goes up and down by 5-6kg every 5 weeks or so. I lose weight at work due to bad food, no ale only water and the odd cup of tea and going to the gym every other day for my trip (half hour on the rowing machine and half hour of wieghts). I don't eat alot of veg (doesn't taste nice to me) and I try not to eat pudding, thats about all. When I get home its then that I start putting the weight on, eating properly and drinking, and most importantly not really exercising. this is because i'm busy every day work on my house so I get a sweat on then!! So basically at nearly 36yrs I'm 6ft 4, waist 34 - 36 waist and go between 93 - 98kg every 5-6 weeks.

Oh yes, well done ricky on your weight lose. Personally I couldn't do it like you as I like my ale too much!!!!
    It's been emontional

Folks ... for the benefit of "golden oldies" like myself ... I wonder if you'd be so kind as to also include the 'Imperial' equivalents of the weights and heights you've described according to metric measurements.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Folks ... for the benefit of "golden oldies" like myself ... I wonder if you'd be so kind as to also include the 'Imperial' equivalents of the weights and heights you've described according to metric measurements.
    I did Arthur

Respected Member
    Arthur, I weigh roughly 1/3 of a dinosaur plus ten shillings....

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Arthur, I weigh roughly 1/3 of a dinosaur plus ten shillings....
    ... your answer reminds me of the one that my son-in-law - a Physics teacher - gave me when I asked him what my grandaughter's birth-weight was in lbs.

Banned
    Well done Ricky, 26 is a good age to come to terms with your life shortening ways! Good on ya! You have a family to think of now and now you have gone a long way to be with your grand children for many years to come, sounds dramatic huh well, you will be suprised how quickly the years fly by, by the time you hit 30. The hard part now is making this 'get well' plan a life time plan. You got to live that way, always. Some may say you are not living because you've given up what they think is life itself! Your way is the correct way and its also my way. Umm I feel a song coming! Yes Im 50 but I dont feel it and the wife says I dont look it That may be all bola bola ha ha. It dont matter. I bet your wife is well pleased too. Make it a life time goal Use the thought of your children to keep you on course. Good luck Ricky! Oh and thanks to you, we will be using KLM when we go back in October.

I have a problem with BMI as it doesnt take into account bodybuilding and muscle tissue.

A friend of mine works out a lot and is rather heavy due to some serious muscles, but the BMI puts him at obese.

How can he be, all he eats is chicken breast, water and pasta virtually.

Trusted Member
    BMI can't be a direct measure of body fat. It's of use for most adult men and women but is not accurate for body builders, athletes, pregnant women, elderly and children.
    After giving up smoking, maintaining a healthy weight is the next best thing to do, for many reasons. As with fad diets, it's not a good idea to rely solely on one indicator of ideal weight such as BMI when trying to improve your health. Far more important is the feeling of well- being, abilty to take moderate exercise without discomfort / shortness of breath, and knowing that you're reducing your risk of diseases
    (including high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis, and some cancers).
    You will need a calculator, but BMI can also be calculated from Weight (pounds) x 703 /(height(inches)) squared ...or Weight (pounds) x 4.88 / (height (feet)) squared.

aha I see cheers for clearing it up

39/6d per lb lol

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    39/6d per lb lol
    At last ... someone else who remembers the "good old days"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    I did Arthur
    And it's hugely appreciated, Ian ... especially when it's from someone of a later generation.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    At last ... someone else who remembers the "good old days"!!!
    It may be in small print Arthur, but my post above did give the formula for obtaining BMI from "old units" - while pointing out the limitations of this "figure" .

That's good job Ricky. At 26, your previous BMI sounds scary. It is good to be conscious health wise.
    Hmmm... I wonder if where I can find a gym here in Worthing.
    Life as we make it

@Rohany.. check this https://www.worthingleisure.co.uk/

Hope u r settling in "down south"....

after starting a new job i lost 10 kg but sadly gained a few, this was due to being to busy to eat .....i often tend to binge eat, not eating for a while and then stuffing my face

my waist was getting up to 36 inch from a slimmer 32 as all my weight goes to my belly and after losing the weight my jeans kept falling down, now i have gained a few kg my jeans stay up a lot better

did anyone see the tv show about the things that do really work, like eating soup to stay fuller longer and eating a high protein meal
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    did anyone see the tv show about the things that do really work, like eating soup to stay fuller longer and eating a high protein meal
    I saw that, and yes, both things work. I have been on a high protein diet for almost 10 years. I only ever feel hungry if I've binged on junk food or sugary food. I don't know what the scientific reasons are but I'm happy being a carnivore

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    181 cm
    whats all that in old money...

kg and cm

me 6ft 2 and 17 stone , all down to me eating crisps

time to quit
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Have you been paintballing Joe?...You've got a paint splat! by your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Have you been paintballing Joe?...You've got a paint splat! by your avatar.
    thanks to you
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    I guess I must be on Ricky's ignore list as well hey ho, life goes on. I do wish you continuing success with your health goals Ricky

I do supersets in the gym, mix it up with high intensity interval cardio and a bit of boxing.

Means I can have extra pizza hehehehehe

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Today most of the food items have lot of fats. Due to fats body weight is growing up. If you are interested in losing weight then using small amount of fats.

Banned
    Congrats to loss the weight and Good one story you have shared here with all of us ..... Thanks for sharing that one....
    By eating the better one diet foods and avoiding the junk foods along with the drinking and smoking habits you will keep your self healthy and fit one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information