Thread: life in the UK test

life in the UK test

been doing a bit of research on this and i have a couple of queries about it

they say on the website to do it near the time you apply for the ILR visa but is this really practicable?

also what timescale do you need to "learn" the book the test is based on
    i seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the questions even a lifelong UK citizen would have trouble answering.

better doing it asap, becuase your'e misses will have to pass it or apply for FLR !, also becuase your local test centre might be busy also i dont think thde cert has an expiry date

i would have thought a couple of months at the most, its a matter of remember facts and figures, so make it easy on yourself and your misses, start asap, take your time and get it out of the way
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I agree with Joe. Get the up-to-date book and read the relevant chapters. Maybe even buy some CD's or practice on-line. The questions are (or were) multiple -choice so not oo bad. Remember also the test can be taken as many times as needed. I suggest taking as early as possible. Yeah, it's true that maybe you yourself may not pass without reading the book. But it's not too difficult if your read it learn it and practice it.
    There's plenty of helpful resource out there. Take advantage.

hmmm... I wonder how soon should I apply for ILR?
    Sorry I've been busy doing the search button. Trying to get myself used to the cold.
    Life as we make it

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    hmmm... I wonder how soon should I apply for ILR?
    Sorry I've been busy doing the search button. Trying to get myself used to the cold.
    you have only just got here?, apply 28 days before you visa runs out...thats 2 years from the day you entered the uk.
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

As I said.. I know an examiner!! i wonder if he is up for taking a bung?? This is the R.P after all!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    been doing a bit of research on this and i have a couple of queries about it

they say on the website to do it near the time you apply for the ILR visa but is this really practicable?

also what timescale do you need to "learn" the book the test is based on
    i seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the questions even a lifelong UK citizen would have trouble answering.
    Whilst it makes sense to get the test out of the way as early as possible ... ideally, candidates should allow themselves a year here to adjust to the various cultural changes before taking it. The Test itself is done on computer and [currently] comprises a set of 24 multiple-choice questions based on the content of the OFFICIAL Home Office Publication 'Life in the United Kingdom - *A Journey to Citizenship' - dated April 2007 (2nd Edition) supplemented by a smaller handbook entitled 'Passing the Life in the UK Test' ... containing some 400+ Practice Qs & As for the year 2009. * thoroughly ... and revise.

About one month to six weeks' of regular part-time study should prove adequate for most candidates ... although it is worth remembering that everyone learns at a different pace. Best wishes.

Arthur

one of my reasonings for putting this thread up was the fear that they may update the book and the old one would be out of date by the time Myrna came to doing her test

Arthur

one of my reasonings for putting this thread up was the fear that they may update the book and the old one would be out of date by the time Myrna came to doing her test
    Hmm ... I suppose that could happen. A good would be to keep checking with the likes of Waterstone's, W.H. Smith or similar up to date bookstores. That's what we did.

Banned
    I wonder now that Labour has been shown the door if it will be not quite so politically correct and with less focus on multiculturalism and claiming benefits

heres the latest book to study

http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/cdrom/

checked the prices as well...so far the cheapest is in amazon.

This is only a suggestion based on what my asawa did.
    Study the official book and the relevant chapters.
    From a good bookshop like waterstones buy a couple of additional guides with CD practice questions. There are two main CD's. One CD covers government issues (including councils, political parties, workings of Govt etc) the other covers practical Life In UK (stats, helpful uk living hints, legal etc)
    You take a different test each run with all results and full details of incorrect answers etc.
    After a certain number of 'runs' with each CD you will consistently know the answers and achieve a pass score.
    The key is to know the answers to the likely questions. The test is multi-choice so the chioces themselves will 'jog' your memory

Arthur

they kinda did that already, when they first brought in the test you had to only read i think it was 3 chapters, the year after they changed it to 5 chapters of the book you had to read..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thread Information