I see most of you tend to use KLM or Emirates. Myself I tend to use Etihad, I was working in Abu Dhabi for last 1.5 years, so was through ease of use for me. I can understand that most people who only fly 1 or 2 times a year transit times and price are the overiding factor. I am also aware that the Airport at Abu Dhabi in no way can be compared to the facilities at Dubai.

For those that travel more than 1 or 2 times a year, do many of you belong to the Flight Guest programmes available. I am a Gold Member on Etihad and looked at staying with the same airline for the following reasons:

I get an extra 15kg of luggage on all flights
Get to use the buisness class check in desk even when flying economy
Free use of Buisness Class lounge with 1 guest (Good when few hours transit. The buisness lounge in Abu Dhabi is very good)
Free use of showers, massage, and ironing of fresh clothes

Now I admit that the tickets are not always the cheapest compared to some of the great deals some are getting on here, but the rewards points I get means about every 4 flights I have enough points to use for a free flight and always use that one at peak times when tickets are overpriced ie Christmas and Easter. Also when flying through Abu Dhabi as a gold member I have had free upgrades to buisness class seats on at least 50% of the time so an added bonus.

So in reality with all that you are in fact getting over a 25% discount on price paid if you use the free flight at the right time. Also all the points from my gf,daughter,and kids from previous marriage who visit me in the Phils are credited to my account so they soon mount up.

I know rewards programmes are not for everyone and in no way am I selling Etihad but those that fly more than 2 times a year should consider joining. I know Emirates have a good reward programme as well.

Now stuck in Syria working and from here no airline seems to have decent transit times so end up in Abu Dhabi for over 7 hours now and takes over 24 hrs to reach home to Phils.