Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive !

PC Tools is free spyware detector, AV and Firewall.... you can get some of it free via Google Pack
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    PC Tools is free spyware detector, AV and Firewall.... you can get some of it free via Google Pack
    The problem with all of these security and spyware programmes is the amount they slow down your pc. I've got virus checkers, bot detectors, anti spyware, just about everything going installed on my machine and when you take into account the performance needed to run all of these, I dont think PC's are actually any quicker now than they were 10 yrs ago when all I had was a basic version of McAfee or Norton
    Someone recommended a key stroke blocking prog the other day, I installed it, but it kept causing IE to crash if I had 2 webpages open. I've uninstalled it now and everything is fine again

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post
    The problem with all of these security and spyware programmes is the amount they slow down your pc. I've got virus checkers, bot detectors, anti spyware, just about everything going installed on my machine and when you take into account the performance needed to run all of these, I dont think PC's are actually any quicker now than they were 10 yrs ago when all I had was a basic version of McAfee or Norton
    Someone recommended a key stroke blocking prog the other day, I installed it, but it kept causing IE to crash if I had 2 webpages open. I've uninstalled it now and everything is fine again
    no probs with the key scrambler, been using it for 6 months
    IE, only use firefox
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

You don't need lots of different programs,I only have one Norton internet security and that's it and I haven't had to format in over 8 months
    My pc runs sweet as a nut and considering I use newsgroups all the time I have no probs whatsoever

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    no probs with the key scrambler, been using it for 6 months
    IE, only use firefox
    TBH IE is rubbish, but I have to use it as most of the web apps I use for work dont like Firefox or Chrome

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post
    You don't need lots of different programs,I only have one Norton internet security and that's it and I haven't had to format in over 8 months
    My pc runs sweet as a nut and considering I use newsgroups all the time I have no probs whatsoever
    I used Norton for years and never had any problems, but the bean counters at work decided to save money and didn't renew the licences, so we have to use a variety of free or cheaper programmes now, none of them are as good as Norton

I still run Norton and nothing else on my own PC's

I used Norton for years and never had any problems, but the bean counters at work decided to save money and didn't renew the licences, so we have to use a variety of free or cheaper programmes now, none of them are as good as Norton

I still run Norton and nothing else on my own PC's
    The trouble is Norton will get slagged off as it was always a big hogger of resources and nigh impossible to uninstall, people keep saying that now and it simply isn't true any more.
    I used to love nod 32 but I now prefer Norton and have basically been bench testing it on my own pc for over a year and I have found it fantastic.
    Please remember I am a newsgroup user so exposed to all sorts of nasties but nothing has gotten through Norton at all:xxgrinning--00xx3
    Even my previous favourite nod 32 is not as good as the new Norton.

Trusted Member
    I've been using this PC since 2003.

I've only put a bigger graphics card in it and added an extra hard drive.

I use Mozilla Firefox.

The old girl still runs fine.

Trusted Member
    Welcome back Doc It's probably a good decision to go to a proper lap top if you're on line a lot. Netbooks are OK for browsing, but like all things you get what you pay for, and a higher priced machine will usually give you better performance.
    In my business we buy a lot of laptops and never have problems with Sony or Toshiba's and they do get a fair bit of stick by the users. HP's, Acers and Dell's don't usually last as long. Personally I've been using Toshiba's for 18 years and never had a hardware failure, it would take a lot to convince me to switch from Tosh, but a Sony is one brand I would consider
    Oh good...I just bought my son a Toshiba for his birthday. (I know NOTHING about laptops )

Last november my Acer 5520 decided to die, so i sent it away to be repaired, £170, 2 new motherboards and 4 months later I have it back and it is running sweet, well...... apart from the dvd drive not being recognised anymore.
    But because i could not be without a connection, my parents decided to buy me a new laptop fro birthday/christmas present. I added to what they gave me and got a new Toshiba i5 Core Satelite L650 It is running window7 and i am really pleased.
    I have formatted my old Acer, so will let the little lady have it, even though she has one already, it is so slow it is painful.

I think the Sony's are great too, I did look at them but the £££ was a bit hot for me. I am happy you are pleased with it Alan, nice to have a big screen to look at fish and bikes right ??
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    £143

laptops we use at home..
    lenovo T43 cost me £170 over 2 1/2 yrs ago , still working was on 24/7 for more than 1yr
    lenovo t61 cost me £190 1yr ago (like new it was) using it now
    and
    a dell d630 for £100 - like new again me little gal has it

good second hand/refurbished ones out there
    Joe snap , we have a T43 bought second hand on ebay with a really gorgeous 1400x1050 screen, mint condition for 160 quid, my main laptop is a T61 that I got for for 250 quid, great laptop!

I have an issue with the T43 though the old Fujitsu IDE disk I fitted has been having trouble spinning up sometimes which is a real pity, it failed on me a day before I was due to come home, I will need to take one of my other old 2.5" IDE drives over next time I go to the Phils and rebuild the OS.

You can get some decent systems on Ebay, although these days you should be looking for a dual core for less than £200, with at least 160GB HD and 2GB memory.
    Keith - Administrator

Respected Member
    Yep that's true, I did an awful lot of research before buying though.

My T61 is dual core came with 2GB RAM and 250GB drive, I upgraded the RAM and disks to a total of 8GB RAM (64 bit OS) and 1TB of storage for less than an extra 130 quid, great machine now

The thing about the Lenovo's is the fantastic keyboard, best in the business in my opinion.

Overall condition of mine was superb, really hope it last me a good while.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

I think the Sony's are great too, I did look at them but the £££ was a bit hot for me. I am happy you are pleased with it Alan, nice to have a big screen to look at fish and bikes right ??
    About 600GBP, including "free" Norton security for a year, from Comet. Not being an expert, I preferred to see and try the laptop for myself, rather than order on the internet.
    Here's another advantage to readers of my posts - I don't need to increase the font size now I'm not using the netbook
    As for looking at fish and bikes, yes, that's better on the 15.5" screen, so also is beautiful scenery from the Philippines, all of which are unaffordable for the time being .

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    About 600GBP, including "free" Norton security for a year, from Comet. Not being an expert, I preferred to see and try the laptop for myself, rather than order on the internet.
    Here's another advantage to readers of my posts - I don't need to increase the font size now I'm not using the netbook
    As for looking at fish and bikes, yes, that's better on the 15.5" screen, so also is beautiful scenery from the Philippines, all of which are unaffordable for the time being .
    I think you made the right choice to get a larger device. If your on the regularly a netbook will probably cook itself. They are really made litterally to switch on here and there to quickly browse the web and check your emails not all day jobbies.

As I speak the Dell I have on for the last two three hours is warm to touch even with a clear air ways for all the fans.

HDD and Laptop batteries are often excluded from warrnties on PC's due to the fact they faill far more than other devices.

I have known of both HDD's and Laptop battries faill often but rarely other parts just like that..

More expensive Laptops possibly like the ones you have will have special motion sensors to detect if a laptop has been dropped and will park up the HDD to minimise damage. In a netbook that is unlikely due to the overall cost and size..

I think you made the right choice to test the device in person
    Something you use so often like say a laptop or a mobile you should make sure your comfortable using

As for Anti virus make sure what ever you use is set up correctly and updated as often as possible Sure some do this or that better than others etc. But you should be ok unless you live like Les mentions on some of the more minefield like sites ie newsgroups, torrents or...

One of the best ways to check your AV is doing ok is to now and then run other AV's via there online services..

http://www.eset.co.uk/ThreatCenter/OnlineScanner/

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

in fact i got bored ofgoogling so just google the ones below for whatever is your taste.

All online scanners which are free and can re assure you your own AV is doing what its doing

Free Symantec Norton Online Antivirus Scanner
    BitDefender Antivirus Scan Online
    eTrust Antivirus
    PC-Cillin Antivirus
    F-Secure Online Antivirus Scan
    McAfee Antivirus
    Panda ActiveScan
    Kaspersky Free Online Antivirus Scan
    Nod32 Antivirus
    Computer Associate Virus Scanner
    Free Windows Live OneCare Scan
    Panda AntiVirus
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post
    Me too wouldn't touch a laptop with a barge pole,well ok i have but don't like them at all and the mouse control drives me nuts!
    plug your own mouse in
    i plug a mouse into the usb , i have no patience for the built in pad on my lap top

iv had my sony vio about 3 maybe 4 yrs now, solid n heavy, i dropped it still working, but minus 1 damaged usb slot , only got the 1 that works now, as it only had 2 slots,came with vista ,(vista was a big let down used a lot of resorce slowed things down) i upgraded ram and installed 7 very nice no complaints,, security software i dont pay, for years and i highly recomend, avast antivirus, pc tools firewall,
    note that all antivirus and firewalls do let some monsters past, such as trojens worms ect , they not perfect, i use emisoft anti malware has to be updated and start manualy , but its a good extra it has been good to me , taken out the odd worm that nothing else seemed to be able to, and any trojens , i recomend this highly a free version, another usful tool is windows live one care online safty scanner, free to use, again very good, always make sure java and other such programs are up to date so they do not become a securtity risk,windows scan will check them for you

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    More expensive Laptops possibly like the ones you have will have special motion sensors to detect if a laptop has been dropped and will park up the HDD to minimise damage. In a netbook that is unlikely due to the overall cost and size..
    The Lenovo and IBM machines were the first laptops I ever had that had the hard disk protection system regards bumps knocks and drops, love it works really well.

I thought a lot of these Netbooks started out with solid state drives (SSD)? I know they are using regular HDD's these days and the larger SSD's are really expensive, would be one solution though!

Trusted Member
    Many thanks to everyone for reading and posting here. Today my Dell notebook was returned by courier, 12 days after it was collected. I was called in advance, it was delivered at 10 am, and Dell have just called to confirm all is well.
    They replaced the hard drive, and also the keyboard, free of charge with no explanation as to why both needed replacement, or attempt to suggest it was my fault. A complete cosmetic and functionality inspection was performed (at least the boxes were ticked!).
    From now on the netbook will only be used as "back up" to my Sony Vaio. I consider myself lucky the netbook was still within warranty (2 years ending this coming April).
    Just for interest, Comet put me under enormous pressure to take out their own cover for the Vaio, 2 years would have cost 150 GBP. I declined, and my friends who know more than me (not difficult) tell me that was the correct decision.
    If only replacing defective human body parts were so easy, but how long is our warranty supposed to last ?

I got a 3 year warranty on my Dell for the price of 1 year
    Keith - Administrator

extra warrentys are always expensive , over priced, the sales reps i believe earn good commision on a warrenty sale,more mark up for that than the computer,
    i think any item bought under£1000, is not worth paying the high price of extended warrenty, i say no

You don't have to buy a warranty at point of sale, you can buy a 3rd party one cheaper later.
    Keith - Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    The Lenovo and IBM machines were the first laptops I ever had that had the hard disk protection system regards bumps knocks and drops, love it works really well.

I thought a lot of these Netbooks started out with solid state drives (SSD)? I know they are using regular HDD's these days and the larger SSD's are really expensive, would be one solution though!
    I was gonna mention i have a SSD drive in my Laptop but im not sure Doc Alan wants to put ddown that sort of outlay

Boy does the device fly

Your right the EEE PC was solid state but when MS with XP got in on the game HDD came back in to contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    You don't have to buy a warranty at point of sale, you can buy a 3rd party one cheaper later.
    Also check if your CC or Debit card/ bank account can give u protection i know mine does extented protection and damage protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information