Thread: Generic medicine helps to say no to big pharma marketing bull

Post Generic medicine helps to say no to big pharma marketing bull

This morning I went to see the doctor about this cough and colds I’ve been nursing these past two weeks, though my fiancee says it is three, because I thought the lagundi capsules did not work.

Around five days prior, I took lagundi capsules to get rid of the cough. One in the morning, one at noon and one at night. On the third day, red and itchy rashes started to appear all over my body and my ears were flushed red. Did I develop an allergic reaction towards the lagundi? I doubted it but I stopped taking them anyways just to see if the rashes would also disappear.

Today is the third day I stopped taking the lagundi capsules and as I’ve said earlier, my scheduled visit to the doctor. The diagnosis was laryngopharyngitis – an inflammation due to infection of the larynx and pharynx. My lungs are clear of phlegm and the greatest relief was when the doctor told me to continue taking the lagundi capsules as it turned out that I wasn’t allergic to it. The rashes were brought on by allergic rhinitis – which explains the running nose.

The lanrygopharyngitis I get, but allergic rhinitis? In the quarter of a century that I have lived on this planet, I never had an allergy towards anything. Dust, pet hair, pollen, perfume, bad odors and other allergens didn’t posed a threat to me, until today. Maybe it’s a wake up call that I should start living a more healthy life or I seriously need to clean my room.

All these thoughts were quickly brushed aside when I saw my medical bill – professional fee and the cost of the prescribed medicines. I won’t give the exact figure but it was north of my monthly telephone + broadband bill! I then opted to have the prescription written out and paid only for the professional fee.

Off I went to the lone Generika branch we had in town. Gave them the prescription and boy was I glad I made that decision for I got all my prescribed medicines for 1/3 the price of what my doctor’s pharmacy was selling them. I thank the government for Republic Act 6675 or the Generics Act of 1998.

And for those who still think that branded medicines are better than their generic counterparts, you better think again. For example, Biogesic, Tempra, Calpol are just brands for paracetamol which is designed for fever relief. Branded medicine are so expensive because part of the costs the pharmaceutical companies who make these spend on advertising and marketing these brands are passed on to us consumers. So thanks to generic medicines and the Generics Act that promotes these, we get our illnesses cured minus the costs of marketing bull that comes with branded medicine.

Now I wonder if The Generics Pharmacy has lower prices compared to Generika. I hope I’d find out not too soon.

Content from...

Quote Originally Posted by Win2WinRSS View Post
    This morning I went to see the doctor about this cough and colds I’ve been nursing these past two weeks, though my fiancee says it is three, because I thought the lagundi capsules did not work. Around five days prior, I took lagundi capsules to get rid of the cough. One in the morning, one [...]

Simple fact too is there are loads of fake medicines too out there { many Chinese based }
    Its a highly lucrative and evil trade.
    I am relatively healthy and whenever i take antibiotics here in the UK it wipes out viruses, severe colds and flu almost instantly. On 2 occasions there NOUGHT! I am conviced that the medicines i took were of no use at all and fake.

This morning I went to see the doctor about this cough and colds I’ve been nursing these past two weeks, though my fiancee says it is three, because I thought the lagundi capsules did not work.

Around five days prior, I took lagundi capsules to get rid of the cough. One in the morning, one at noon and one at night. On the third day, red and itchy rashes started to appear all over my body and my ears were flushed red. Did I develop an allergic reaction towards the lagundi? I doubted it but I stopped taking them anyways just to see if the rashes would also disappear.

Today is the third day I stopped taking the lagundi capsules and as I’ve said earlier, my scheduled visit to the doctor. The diagnosis was laryngopharyngitis – an inflammation due to infection of the larynx and pharynx. My lungs are clear of phlegm and the greatest relief was when the doctor told me to continue taking the lagundi capsules as it turned out that I wasn’t allergic to it. The rashes were brought on by allergic rhinitis – which explains the running nose.

The lanrygopharyngitis I get, but allergic rhinitis? In the quarter of a century that I have lived on this planet, I never had an allergy towards anything. Dust, pet hair, pollen, perfume, bad odors and other allergens didn’t posed a threat to me, until today. Maybe it’s a wake up call that I should start living a more healthy life or I seriously need to clean my room.

All these thoughts were quickly brushed aside when I saw my medical bill – professional fee and the cost of the prescribed medicines. I won’t give the exact figure but it was north of my monthly telephone + broadband bill! I then opted to have the prescription written out and paid only for the professional fee.

Off I went to the lone Generika branch we had in town. Gave them the prescription and boy was I glad I made that decision for I got all my prescribed medicines for 1/3 the price of what my doctor’s pharmacy was selling them. I thank the government for Republic Act 6675 or the Generics Act of 1998.

And for those who still think that branded medicines are better than their generic counterparts, you better think again. For example, Biogesic, Tempra, Calpol are just brands for paracetamol which is designed for fever relief. Branded medicine are so expensive because part of the costs the pharmaceutical companies who make these spend on advertising and marketing these brands are passed on to us consumers. So thanks to generic medicines and the Generics Act that promotes these, we get our illnesses cured minus the costs of marketing bull that comes with branded medicine.

Now I wonder if The Generics Pharmacy has lower prices compared to Generika. I hope I’d find out not too soon.

Content from...
    Simple fact too is there are loads of fake medicines too out there { many Chinese based }
    Its a highly lucrative and evil trade.
    I am relatively healthy and whenever i take antibiotics here in the UK it wipes out viruses, severe colds and flu almost instantly. On 2 occasions there NOUGHT! I am conviced that the medicines i took were of no use at all and fake.

Even going to a well known pharmacy does not guarantee you are not getting sugar and concrete, especailly in Asia, although fakes do get into the UK system.
    Keith - Administrator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbojac View Post
    I am relatively healthy and whenever i take antibiotics here in the UK it wipes out viruses, severe colds and flu almost instantly.
    I think it must be the 'placebo' effect; antibiotics only kill bacteria. Colds and flu are viral infections.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howerd View Post
    I think it must be the 'placebo' effect; antibiotics only kill bacteria. Colds and flu are viral infections.
    Correct ! Anyone who makes such a statement lacks credibility to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Correct ! Anyone who makes such a statement lacks credibility to me.
    But maybe a cold or flu can lower resistance to bacterial infections too?

Thread Information