Thread: Family History and our Philippines connections.

Family History and our Philippines connections.

Hi all,
    Just wondering how many members here are interested in their family history?

I have been researching mine for a few years now.

So far I have 2,451 people in it, in 817 families.

As far back as a "Cant" born in 1718 in Suffolk.

We have 1,137 photos in the tree and always looking for more especially old ones.

The family are now all over the world. including my ex wife’s family in the Philippines.

Some surprises and hidden 2nd families!

But a family tree is about fact only not gossip!

I still enjoy it very much, I use “Brothers Keeper” it is the most backed up programme on my computer.

Mick.

do you want my photo mick, my nephew does this and hes gone back to early 1800s sooooooooooooooo very intresting it is

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    do you want my photo mick, my nephew does this and hes gone back to early 1800s sooooooooooooooo very intresting it is
    Hi Steve,
    If you think you could be a distant relation then I expect you owe me money
    Never mind the photo, pay up
    Mick.

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    In our family at the turn of the last century there was a kinghthood in the family!! Unfortunatley it wasn't hereditary

I am interested in finding out about our past though. I notice that it's advertised a lot on tv at the mo, what service / programme do you use mick?
    It's been emontional

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    In our family at the turn of the last century there was a kinghthood in the family!! Unfortunatley it wasn't hereditary
    C'mon Stu not hereditary?

How many times have you been called Sir Stu in the Phils, we all have knighthoods over there

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Hi all,
    Just wondering how many members here are interested in their family history?

I have been researching mine for a few years now.

So far I have 2,451 people in it, in 817 families.
    I only ever did the immediate lineage back to 1796, five of me all same name all the way back in a straight line

Interested up to a point but would need a lot more time on my hands to take it further, my mother's and my father's families were very large so I have relatives all over the world, should have taken advantage of that when I was young but sadly didn't

Respected Member
    It must be very interesting Mick

If I had more time on my hands I would love to find out more about my family history. I have been asking my dad in recent years, he told me that he did some research a few years ago, and our family lived in the same small Cambridgeshire village from c.1500 to 1991 when my Grandparents left the village to move into a retirement complex in the nearby city. The family may have been in the village for longer, but the church and parish records only went back as far as 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

I am interested in finding out about our past though. I notice that it's advertised a lot on tv at the mo, what service / programme do you use mick?
    Hi,
    Do you mean from programmes like “Who do you think you are” which are interesting programmes but in real life you have to work a lot harder to find information, these turn up at record offices and other places and someone has already got the information out for them.

If you are keen it would pay to find a local society, they often have open nights and all welcome new members.
    When I joined our local Isle of Wight one they put my contact information in one of the monthly members booklets with the names I was researching, I got several offers from members who were doing parts of the same lines.

Also go see as many older family members you can find, I went to see many I did not even know about until I started asking you get valuable information from them, but make sure you check it out as with all of us the memory distorts and though they will remember things the year they think it was can be way out.

Wedding photos are a real help, not just because of the bigger groups of family together but you can confirm the actual year from marriage records.

I have use paid for research sites but not much as our local IOW society has an excellent free to use sit for Birth Marriage and deaths.

As I said I use “Brothers Keeper” as my genealogy programme on my computer.
    Most will let you import a “Gedcom” file if you find a relative that has already done some research.

If I think of anything else I will post again!
    Mick.

Good thread Mick.

I used to spend a lot of time researching my family tree.
    Even had my wife searching various cemetaries and looking for relatives by reading the gravestones

So far I have managed a detailed paternal family history/tree going back to 1447

I have some leads that go back even further but making a good trace would need a lot of time and travel.

I did subscribe to a couple of genealogy groups but found I wasn't using enough for the cost.

Anyone interested to do some free searches should look her:-

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

and
    http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Be warned it's highly addictive

Hi Terpe,
    I have used freebmd but not the first one I like most have lots of leads I need to follow up still.

When I first started I was told "There is no such thing as a finished tree" and have found how true that is, People will keep being born and die

I am in the process of printing big parts of the tree to go on my bedroom wall, it will be on 2 walls half of the room will be taken up with it, but it will be good to be able to glance through.

I know men are supposed to say to women "come and see my etchings" but I will somhow have to convince them my family tree is worth seeing
    Mick.

Mick, I obviously missed this thread when it first appeared,
    but to say I'm impressed is an understatement, ..........

and all I can really say is, what a load of Cant's you seem to know !
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Trusted Member
    My brother has been researching our lineage (Southern Irish and English), and has got back to the 1500s.

Traditionally the eldest boy on the paternal side has been given the same first name. This has been continued on in the case of my (older) brother and my own son.

It was a bit uncomfortable though when visiting one family graveyard which has gravestones going back over 200 years , and my boy saw 'his' name written on a few of them.

Here I am showing my then baby son the posh, and historic house where I was born:

my father and brother are well into searching our families tree. they have went back to the 1600's all from scotland, the north-east coast and the highlands. its intresting reading what your family did and where like

As I have previously mentioned in other threads, I am also interested in genealogy and got the bug in 2009 when I came across an advertisement on the internet for Genes Reunited. I decided to try and find out details about my maternal side as my late mum grew up in a children’s home and knew nothing about her family, apart from the names of her parents.

I now have about 370 family members/ ancestors in my family tree at present dating back to 1744 and I only ever add a member when I have properly sourced information as evidence. The software I use is Family Tree Maker 2009 and I also have a tree set up in Ancestry.co.uk which is supported by over 70 photographs and a good number of birth, marriage and death certificates.

I didn’t know my grandparents but one of my most prized possessions is a photograph of my great grandparents and I have also tracked down their grave and been to visit. My other special find is a copy of my 2 x great grandfather’s Will, which was proven in 1889. It’s 5 pages long and gives a great insight into other family members and valued possessions; he was a wealthy wholesale cheesemonger.

Besides tracing my ancestors, I have also traced some living relatives and I have met 2 of my mum’s cousins and five of my second cousins, all of whom have an interest in genealogy. My tree is also now extended to Philippines , where I have four nephews.

It’s such a shame that my mum isn’t here to share what I have discovered, she would have been totally bowled over and absolutely delighted! There again, she's probably met them all on the other side by now ..........

Hi Rosie,
    I know just what you mean on wishing your mother could have known what you have discoverd about family.

I think we all regret not listining to our parents more when they talked about family, for me my late father was very intrested in local history and for him to know how much I have discovers about hes parents families would have made him very happy.

We do feel closer to departed family by finding all this intresting information.
    Mick.

Thread Information