Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple

Banned
    Pink Ladies every time, after that first taste you will never buy any other brand of apple You know it makes sense

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Apple computers are more expensive than their competitors.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasWilson View Post
    Apple computers are more expensive than their competitors.
    Hi,

I was told by many Currys/PC World sales people in different towns that the increased cost will be amply repaid by the longevity of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Hi,

I was told by many Currys/PC World sales people in different towns that the increased cost will be amply repaid by the longevity of the product.
    Apple do have normally quick decent bulid quality and will normally be very good with the warranty and sorting things.

But where it fell down for me was the Currys/PC world sales people bit. After telling you it last for a long time often the next line would be you need the extended warranty or whatever they are trying to sell.

Due to the small about of models apple create over the years compared to MS PC's often its much easier for them to gurantee to a degree they will run the latest OS.
    Basically only intel core 2 duo processors are supported (ie older devices may work but apple wont help you if there is any problems~) so any thing from about mid 2006 onwards should work Apple are saying. Possibly older high spec devices will run Lion but at your own risk..

With windows 7 its more complicated at launch the below was the minimum specs

1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    1 GB of RAM (32-bit)/2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB of available disk space (32-bit)/20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model 1.0 or higher driver

But then it depended what you were expecting to do with windows 7 ie xp mode etc then you need more power and memory normally.

So some devices which I have seen windows 7 is running on can be quite old, 2004/2005 models. Again typically desktop PC's seem to be easier to upgrade than desktop Mac's so that can prolong desktops sometime for years if not required for anything to intensive processingwise.

Laptops how much you can upgrade the memory and HDD's will vary from model to model.

I think you need to consider how long you hope to keep the device (in your household and possibly then handed on to Phill) of course in 5 years much may change in IT.

One point about the very new Apples is they have no DVD/Blu ray reader now some people wont care but if you like to load on your own films or music or have backups of pictures or other data how will you read them?
    You may need possibly to add on the price of a external drive or first convert to a usb drive or flash card on a Drive equipped device.

Also Apple are very quickly moving towards the app store as a medium for all its devices seeing as its such a large cash cow already.. For some this is great all data in one place for others its a little bit to controlling and rigid. Microsoft would love to do but I think the MS market is to big and fragmented to shift over to this sort of format anytime soon.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Hi Somebody,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Your posts are intriguing, enough to make me research a little more.
    I found this http://www.macworld.com/product/3438..._i5266ghz.html:
    I was also shown by a PC World bod (who has a Macbook laptop) how to control the iMac with an iPhone )
    Of course I still don't have an iMac

Apple 27-inch iMac Core i5/2.66GHz
    Pros
    Amazingly fast Core i7 option
    New SD card slot
    Improved speaker system
    Great image quality from display at any angle
    Impressive speed
    Cons
    Apple Remote not included
    Glare and reflections from screen may frustrate some users
    FireWire 400 peripherals require an adapter
    Bottom Line
    With the 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac (not to mention the build-to-order 2.8GHz Core i7 model), Apple has blurs the line between consumer and professional systems. The 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac offers faster performance at most tasks than the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro. The Core i5 iMac also has more memory and more storage space than that Mac Pro, while costing $500 less. Unless you absolutely require additional PCI cards, multiple internal hard drives, or a lot of RAM, the Core i5 iMac makes a strong case for the being the go-to system for most Mac professionals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information