Thread: The Few

The Few

Apparently Sir Winston Churchill took a long time to deliberate and write his speeches all night but he was quick enough with his quips!!..I like him a lot!!

“Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all.”
    -Sir Winston Churchill

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.”
    -Sir Winston Churchill

“I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”
    -Sir Winston Churchill

“Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.”
    -Sir Winston Churchill

“There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.”
    -Sir Winston Churchill

and more...

Lady Astor, the first lady in the House of Commons once said to him:

"If I was your wife, sir, I would poison your coffee."

"If I was your husband, I would drink it," answered Churchill...

Scene: A dinner party where S.W. is greatly enjoying his wine and not greatly enjoying Lady Astor's company, being of the large group that gave her surname two esses...

Lady Astor: Mr. Prime Minister, I believe you are quite drunk!

Sir Winston: I am, Madam. But you are very ugly and tomorrow morning I shall be indisputably sober.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Respected Member
    Winston Churchill and Mrs T were in my opinion the two best PM's of the 20th century

Banned
    Winston Churchill and Mrs T were in my opinion the two best PM's ever

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Oliver Cromwell was pretty good too Although he was called Lord Protectorate or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

Banned
    I cant say much about Mr. Cromwell A bit before my time. For me Its got to be Sir Winston and Magaret Thacher. The latter put me on the home ownership ladder. Mr Churchhill did and even greater deed.

nice new picture gwapito and i agree with you all, pity we dont seem to have anyone with balls of steel now, well Thacker did not hall balls but something was made of steel

The iron lady, closed the pits, sold Britain's assets, look at the state we are in now... coalition government..... Pinky and perky Joint joke PM... next... on road for recession again sorry this is in the humor section... nothing good about Thatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by jimeve View Post
    The iron lady, closed the pits, sold Britain's assets, look at the state we are in now... coalition government..... Pinky and perky Joint joke PM... next... on road for recession again sorry this is in the humor section... nothing good about Thatcher.
    totally agree with you jim for me thatcher has a lot to answer for the amount of peoples lives she destroyed & tore whole families apart

Banned
    I have to say the majority of the electorate would beg to differ, me included. Yes she called some bad shots, she's human just like use. The best PM in my life time. Thanks for the compliment Mr Wool

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    nice new picture gwapito and i agree with you all, pity we dont seem to have anyone with balls of steel now, well Thacker did not hall balls but something was made of steel
    maybe she did

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I have to say the majority of the electorate would beg to differ, me included. Yes she called some bad shots, she's human just like use. The best PM in my life time. Thanks for the compliment Mr Wool
    By the late 70's there was nothing Great about Britain, it had gone from being an important global player to a nearly bankrupt state and a laughing stock in the western world. Unions had too much power, British manufacturing industries were crippled by strikes and the country was going down the pan fast.

Mrs T came to power and had to stop the rot, sure she made some unpopular decisions but, she turned Britain around and once again it became a major global player, whilst some may not agree with her, the majority of people were better off as the country was prosperous and taxations were reduced when the national debt left by Labour had been reduced. Sadly the lessons of the past werent learned and once again we find ourselves in the position of an incoming Conservative government having to sort out the mess left behind by Labour, and having to make some unpopular decisions for the greater good.

Only time will tell if DC has the balls that Mrs T and Winston Churchill had, he's inherited a country in a truly desperate state, and only tough measures are going to turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman2010 View Post

Only time will tell if DC has the balls that Mrs T and Winston Churchill had, he's inherited a country in a truly desperate state, and only tough measures are going to turn it around.
    Yep, thatcher had the balls

It's just so hard to please you all guys....I put this on a humuor ...and some of you just go off on a tangent,,,...very Tatcher!!!
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    It's just so hard to please you all guys....I put this on a humuor ...and some of you just go off on a tangent,,,...very Tatcher!!!
    That's my fault this time

Banned
    Politics and humour are like water and oil. Lets not labours claim to fame war criminal Mr Blair

Politics and humour are like water and oil. Lets not labours claim to fame war criminal Mr Blair
    or thatcher's claim to fame for making millions out of work and destroying families

Banned

Look You know it made sense Why keep the pits open when it was a lose making venture. Yes, whole communities were destroyed but it was the greater good. Those good men what would of gone down the pit all those years ago would probably be sick now. Surely Jim those communities have recovered now?

Look You know it made sense Why keep the pits open when it was a lose making venture Surely Jim those communities have recovered now?
    They were making a loss because of poor technology. decades behind Germany, they had the latest digging equipment. our men had shovels and picks. Granted we had to shut the pits some day but not all at once. Don't know where you are from. but Iam from an ex mining town. BTW my Father was an ex miner, and NO it has not recovered. If any thing it's got worse.

oh dear politics again but this time without the religeon, should be reasonably safe to pop my head up then ,
    just my opinions,
    the unions did abuse there power, i seen them vote to strike for stupid little things, they are themselves to blame for being destroyed by thatcher,
    had the unions been sensible then they were a good thing,
    the pits being closed, yes they were not invested in to bring up to date as like germany, but closing them ,men out of work, surley the cost of paying them off and paying them unemployment was not viable, surely it would have been more cost affective to keep them in work even if it ment investing in the pits,
    the same with privatising,what once was public, many became unemployed as a result, surly it was better to keep them employed even if running at a loss, the results showed big increases in the unemployed, yes privatisation means more tax revenue to the goverment but then they pay it out in bennefits , whats the point?
    our british motorbike companys lost out to the japs, for lack of investment in our own,
    the poor get thinner the rich get fatter, theives, liars,war criminals, thats amounts to any of our govermonts wether it be labour, conservative or librel, there all the same

oh sorry , after reading the posts i forgot this was supposed to be humour
    i guess it still is after all it makes you laugh

Banned
    Sorry Jim, no offence Im from the south, we were weren't hit as hard as you guys. I did taste unemployment in 81 be it 3 weeks. That served as my genesis! Having said that, its never been hard to find work as a truck driver where I live, although we lost a major employer in resent years .woolworths. It can strike anyone at anytime, we just perform to the best of our abilities with large doses of hope and prayer.

Thread Information