Thread: Home wi-fi '30% slower' than fixed broadband

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    for downloading i always use cat5, wireless is for the misses and kids

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Most "modern" Laptops and some Desktops have built in Wireless Networking to the "G" standard. Most Wi-Fi Routers supplied as part of a Wireless Broadband Bundle by Internet Providers, and Affordable Wireless Routers you can purchase if you want to convert your own "Fixed" Broadband to a Wi-Fi, are also "G" Standard.

The G Standard works at 54Mb/sec.

Most of the Computers mentioned above will have a Built In Network Port that you can connect to via a Cat5E Cable. These prts willaost certaily work at a MIIMUMof 100Mb/sec ...... TWICE the speed of G Standard Wi-Fi.

Really Modern Laptops, and some Desktops now have N or N+ Standard Wi-Fi Facilties, and provided that you have an "N" Class Router, these can run at 150Mb/sec. That roughly THREE TIMES FASTER than the majority of Home Wi-Fi Systems, and 50% Faster than a "Common" Wired Network.

But NO TECHNOLOGY on this Planet advances as fast as Computer Technology, and now you can find Computers with 1,000Mb/sec Wired Network Ports !

Cabled Systems have always been FASTER than Wireless Ones, and I'm sure that it won't be long before FIBRE OPTIC Network Ports appear, running at least TEN or a HUNDRED TIMES FASTER than current Copper Wired sytems.

A Cabled System will ALWAYS provide Greater Security than a Wireless one, because it doesn't just DEPEND upon Passwords and Encryption. You have to make an actual physical connection.
    Also Cabled System are FAR LESS LIKELY to suffer from Interference from other signals nearby. Wi-Fi Systems are clever and can correct errors, but this often results in Data Packets needig to be re-sent, which ultimately REDUCES the Overall Speed

SORRY about all the MISSING CHARACTERS in my last message.
    I have a Wi-Fi Problem with my new N Class Router that requires me to type VERY SLOWLY, or lots of the characters that I type, fail to appear in On-Line Documents.

Thread Information