Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filipino's Executed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Filipino's Executed

Following on from a previous thread on the subject, 3 Filipino's have now been executed in China.

If you want to break the law in foreign countries, you must accept the consequences..... and yet we just let them walk Free to deal
    Keith - Administrator

MANILA — Chinese authorities executed three Filipino drug mules on Wednesday, triggering condemnation in the Catholic Philippines and despair for family members who shared their final moments.

The executions came after repeated pleas by the Philippine government for their sentences to be commuted were turned down, and ended vigils in Manila where supporters of the trio had prayed for a miracle.

"Our government had taken every available opportunity to appeal to the authorities of China for clemency in their cases," presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a statement.

"In the end, however, the sentences were imposed."

He said the three -- Ramon Credo, 42, Sally Villanueva, 32, and Elizabeth Batain, 38 -- were put to death by lethal injection on Wednesday morning, although the Chinese government did not publicly announce the killings.

The trio were sentenced to death after being arrested in China in 2008 for attempting to smuggle heroin into the country.

In its pleas the Philippine government had insisted the three were gullible victims of crime syndicates who had been duped into becoming drug couriers.

The three were allowed to meet their relatives for an hour before they were executed, in what turned out to be devastatingly emotional encounters.

"She was crying, she was partly incoherent. She had a lot of things to say," said Jason Ordinario, a brother of Villanueva who along with another sister and their parents met her as the final verdict was read in a court in Xiamen city.

"She asked us to take care of her children and make sure they can finish studies," he told DZBB radio from China.

Villanueva's relatives said she did not know that she was due to be executed on Wednesday, and was surprised to see her family there.

"I was the first one to see her, we locked eyes and we both cried. She said what are you doing here, why are you all crying, am I going to die," younger sister Mylene said on DZBB.

"She tried to console us. She said, it's okay. I have accepted my fate. I will be your angel and watch over you."

Villanueva's children, aged 12 and nine, were not able to see or talk with their mother before she was killed. They did not travel to China and local authorities would not allow mobile phones into the meeting room.

Surrounded by a throng of supporters and journalists, Villanueva's relatives in Manila erupted in anguished cries as news of the execution broke.

There were similar reactions at the home of Credo, but the family of Batain had requested privacy and no media were with them.

Outside the Villanueva home in a northern Manila slum was a poster comparing her to Flor Contemplacion, a Filipina maid whose hanging in Singapore in 1995 led to a cooling of diplomatic ties between the two countries.

Contemplacion was convicted of murder, although it was widely perceived in the Philippines that she was framed.

Her fate remains an infamous tale about the perils faced by the nine million Filipinos working abroad, many of whom face exploitation while toiling away in low-paying jobs hoping to earn enough money to support relatives at home.

Amnesty International criticised Wednesday's executions and accused President Benigno Aquino's government of not doing enough to save the three.

"We strongly condemn the executions of the three Filipinos," Amnesty's Philippine representative, Aurora Parong, told AFP.

"The Philippines should have taken a stronger action, and it is now its moral duty to lead a campaign against death penalty in Asia."

Church leaders, who had asked the public to join them in prayer for a miracle change of heart by Chinese authorities, also expressed anger.

"We had knocked on the doors of heaven to pray for what turned out to be an impossible wish," added Edwin Corros, executive secretary of church's commission for the pastoral care of migrants, told AFP.

"We call on China to abolish death penalty. We believe no one has the right to take a human life."
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    "We call on China to abolish death penalty. We believe no one has the right to take a human life."
    does that include drug dealers\smugglers ?

harsh it may seem, they knew the penalty, only themselves to blame
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    MANILA — Chinese authorities executed three Filipino drug mules on Wednesday, triggering condemnation in the Catholic Philippines and despair for family members who shared their final moments.

The executions came after repeated pleas by the Philippine government for their sentences to be commuted were turned down, and ended vigils in Manila where supporters of the trio had prayed for a miracle.

"Our government had taken every available opportunity to appeal to the authorities of China for clemency in their cases," presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a statement.

"In the end, however, the sentences were imposed."

He said the three -- Ramon Credo, 42, Sally Villanueva, 32, and Elizabeth Batain, 38 -- were put to death by lethal injection on Wednesday morning, although the Chinese government did not publicly announce the killings.

The trio were sentenced to death after being arrested in China in 2008 for attempting to smuggle heroin into the country.

In its pleas the Philippine government had insisted the three were gullible victims of crime syndicates who had been duped into becoming drug couriers.

The three were allowed to meet their relatives for an hour before they were executed, in what turned out to be devastatingly emotional encounters.

"She was crying, she was partly incoherent. She had a lot of things to say," said Jason Ordinario, a brother of Villanueva who along with another sister and their parents met her as the final verdict was read in a court in Xiamen city.

"She asked us to take care of her children and make sure they can finish studies," he told DZBB radio from China.

Villanueva's relatives said she did not know that she was due to be executed on Wednesday, and was surprised to see her family there.

"I was the first one to see her, we locked eyes and we both cried. She said what are you doing here, why are you all crying, am I going to die," younger sister Mylene said on DZBB.

"She tried to console us. She said, it's okay. I have accepted my fate. I will be your angel and watch over you."

Villanueva's children, aged 12 and nine, were not able to see or talk with their mother before she was killed. They did not travel to China and local authorities would not allow mobile phones into the meeting room.

Surrounded by a throng of supporters and journalists, Villanueva's relatives in Manila erupted in anguished cries as news of the execution broke.

There were similar reactions at the home of Credo, but the family of Batain had requested privacy and no media were with them.

Outside the Villanueva home in a northern Manila slum was a poster comparing her to Flor Contemplacion, a Filipina maid whose hanging in Singapore in 1995 led to a cooling of diplomatic ties between the two countries.

Contemplacion was convicted of murder, although it was widely perceived in the Philippines that she was framed.

Her fate remains an infamous tale about the perils faced by the nine million Filipinos working abroad, many of whom face exploitation while toiling away in low-paying jobs hoping to earn enough money to support relatives at home.

Amnesty International criticised Wednesday's executions and accused President Benigno Aquino's government of not doing enough to save the three.

"We strongly condemn the executions of the three Filipinos," Amnesty's Philippine representative, Aurora Parong, told AFP.

"The Philippines should have taken a stronger action, and it is now its moral duty to lead a campaign against death penalty in Asia."

Church leaders, who had asked the public to join them in prayer for a miracle change of heart by Chinese authorities, also expressed anger.

"We had knocked on the doors of heaven to pray for what turned out to be an impossible wish," added Edwin Corros, executive secretary of church's commission for the pastoral care of migrants, told AFP.

You do surprise me Keith. I wonder if your children who are in the police force, share your views on soft sentences for drug trafficking?

Just imagine how many lives have been saved just by putting these 3 to bed.

These are murderers, mass murderers of whole families, families of the addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    You do surprise me Keith. I wonder if your children who are in the police force, share your views on soft sentences for drug trafficking?

Just imagine how many lives have been saved just by putting these 3 to bed.

These are murderers, mass murderers of whole families, families of the addicts.
    i totally agree ...drugs of any form or substance destroys both yourself and families.. ive even seen drugs prescibed by huge pharmaceutical companies destroy people legally... but .. you can only sue them... tut tut

Quote Originally Posted by branno View Post
    .. ive even seen drugs prescibed by huge pharmaceutical companies destroy people legally... but .. you can only sue them... tut tut
    branno, you've made the same statement in another thread on the same topic.
    Look, I don' want to be picky, but pharmaceutical businesses do not prescribe drugs, that is down to a Doctor. The Doctor makes a choice based on a number of factors, one being legally available.

My point is this, if you have any insider knowledge that suggests that anyone in the supply chain , (manufacturer, NICE, Doctor etc) is doing something that they shouldn't then you need to go public with the facts.

Which prescribed drugs should not be allowed on the UK approved list?

oops may be ive replied to a post in the wrong area.. as u see im not to bright on this sight yet...and ive worded that wrong re, the prescribed drugs by the companies.. ill just give one instance...thalidomide... which became one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times... but yet this drug is still been prescribed in certain countries this day...

So the executions have been carried out? ... I'd been wondering if the trio might've been reprieved, but apparently not!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post

If you want to break the law in foreign countries, you must accept the consequences..... and yet we just let them walk Free to deal
    I agree on this but on an ethical level, the death penalty for drug smuggling is a way too harsh and cruel punishment. It should be very reserved for only the very worst violent crimes, mainly for murders and some attempted murders (the latter because of modern science only. I think you can now say that in some cases that, where there are clear attempts to kill and science has performed a miracle, these people should swing also)

I respect the Chinese on this though. I don't think you can take the kind of wimpy pathetic middle ground on this that we do. Purely because some of these drugs are so addictive that all reason goes out the window. Light attitudes to possesion don't work. Look at Pete Doherty. How many times was/is that guy up in court for possession? And when he did finally get sent down he was out in weeks. It should either be legalised or you come down hard with long sentences for possession and dealing. Anything in between is surely the worst of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by Manila_Paul View Post
    I agree on this but on an ethical level, the death penalty for drug smuggling is a way too harsh and cruel punishment. It should be very reserved for only the very worst violent crimes, mainly for murders and some attempted murders
    do you know any drug addicts or families of drug adidcts? their all victims

life for a life
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    do you know any drug addicts or families of drug adidcts? their all victims

life for a life
    Yeah but the addicts have to take some responsibility for that too, in that circumstance. China even seems confused on this because they don't execute all smugglers.

Pinas is quite hypocritical to be honest,but at least he FINALLY had the grace to resign,albeit from his cell
    As for the mules,desperate people do desperate things,thats a fact.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Yeah but the addicts have to take some responsibility for that too, .
    i dont believe anyone intends to become a drug addict, as i've posted on here a few times, most of us are products of our surroundings and upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    As for the mules,desperate people do desperate things,thats a fact.
    As for the mules,desperate people do stupid things,thats a fact.

they know what they are doing, deseperate or not.

...........they know what they are doing, deseperate or not.
    I wonder if they truely knew.
    The media appears to be reporting a different side.

It does not seem logical to me to that if someone had said to them, 'here's packet of drugs smuggle it through customs' that they would actually do it. Or would they?

Especially if they know there is an associated death sentence if caught.

The media say they thought they were going to China for a job, albeit via an illegal recruiter, and were just carrying the needed company papers.

i dont believe anyone intends to become a drug addict, as i've posted on here a few times, most of us are products of our surroundings and upbringing.
    Totally agree with this.
    Furthermore it takes a special motivation and support network to get out of the addiction.

I wonder if they truely knew.
    They most certainly wouldnt be the first naive innocents to be duped,thats a fact

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    i dont believe anyone intends to become a drug addict, as i've posted on here a few times, most of us are products of our surroundings and upbringing
    Maybe but they do choose to take the drug in the first place. Some responsibility has to be taken. They can't be compared to murder victims.

Maybe but they do choose to take the drug in the first place. Some responsibility has to be taken. They can't be compared to murder victims.
    oh yes responsibility has to be taken, someone takes a drug due to peer pressure, curiosity or whatever reason, but someone who is a drug mule, who swallows drugs , hides them in a suitcase etc, knowing these drugs will be sold to people who are, or will be come addicts because of their illegal actions carry more responsibility than the addict, your right the death sentence is wrong, it's too good for them, a life time of hard labor in Serbia will give them time to reflect on the destruction of families and life's they helped to destroy.

its funny watching immigration programs on tv, none of them are aware of the drugs hidden in their case, someone else always packed their case for them

i cant think of a valid excuse someone who swallows the drugs could have...

good the Chinese did this maybe the ultimate deterrent, death will make some people think twice or not do it at all

oh yes responsibility has to be taken, someone takes a drug due to peer pressure, curiosity or whatever reason, but someone who is a drug mule, who swallows drugs , hides them in a suitcase etc, knowing these drugs will be sold to people who are, or will be come addicts because of their illegal actions carry more responsibility than the addict, your right the death sentence is wrong, it's too good for them, a life time of hard labor in Serbia will give them time to reflect on the destruction of families and life's they helped to destroy.

its funny watching immigration programs on tv, none of them are aware of the drugs hidden in their case, someone else always packed their case for them

i cant think of a valid excuse someone who swallows the drugs could have...

good the Chinese did this maybe the ultimate deterrent, death will make some people think twice or not do it at all
    Until someone tampers with your case!!?? Has happened yes?

They can't be compared to murder victims.
    But they ARE murder victims ... victims of a slowww, lingering death!

Gwap I posted a published article from the Phils without comment you are of course entiytled to your views even if i dont agree with them
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

the counterfiet ones being made in China for a start course the problem is this makes BIG money and is VERY hard to spot and the drug companies have no idea what to do and dont really want to talk about it

nothing like paradoxes huh
    Absit invidia

I have had the { mis} fortune of visiting China 3 times and it is a very strange experience, it is a God-less place thats for sure, something sinister seems to pervade the atmosphere.
    I saw one poor guy, and admittedly i do not know the crime but he was bound by cable ties in a town square and routinely kicked by cops outside of a temporary Police post set up in the place.
    Whilst i hate drugs and the effects they have on all, i believe that we as humans have no rights to take another life, based on the knowledge that even if the accused is maybe 1% not guilty then that is enough to not act on the most barbaric of acts albeit State sanctioned.
    Incidentally i saw a report on Chinas record of human rights a number of years ago and 3 facts have haunted me ever since..............
    1... The death sentence can be carried out for even trivial crimes.
    2... Try this one.... a youngster with mental learning difficulties chased a young girl through a village and lifted her skirt up as a prank, { he had a proven very low mental age} he was a menace to that particular insular little village and yes you guessed it the council got together and he was executed, conveniently to get rid of him.*
    3... A once fashionable execution method was to shoot the victim through the head and then get the family to pay for the bullet!
    * i believe this happened in the nineties
    { Source Amnesty International}
    So, food for thought eh Folks!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbojac View Post
    I have had the { mis} fortune of visiting China 3 times and it is a very strange experience, it is a God-less place thats for sure, something sinister seems to pervade the atmosphere.
    I saw one poor guy, and admittedly i do not know the crime but he was bound by cable ties in a town square and routinely kicked by cops outside of a temporary Police post set up in the place.
    Whilst i hate drugs and the effects they have on all, i believe that we as humans have no rights to take another life, based on the knowledge that even if the accused is maybe 1% not guilty then that is enough to not act on the most barbaric of acts albeit State sanctioned.
    Incidentally i saw a report on Chinas record of human rights a number of years ago and 3 facts have haunted me ever since..............
    1... The death sentence can be carried out for even trivial crimes.
    2... Try this one.... a youngster with mental learning difficulties chased a young girl through a village and lifted her skirt up as a prank, { he had a proven very low mental age} he was a menace to that particular insular little village and yes you guessed it the council got together and he was executed, conveniently to get rid of him.*
    3... A once fashionable execution method was to shoot the victim through the head and then get the family to pay for the bullet!
    * i believe this happened in the nineties
    { Source Amnesty International}
    So, food for thought eh Folks!
    China has a population of 1.5 billion and a family policy of 1 child per family in other words a policy that would reduce the population, 36 % of the population are subject to this one child policy apparently, there are exceptions.

From memory they only had just over a billion when I was growing up 30 odd years ago, so it ain't worked very well.

Life is cheap in China, life is also cheap in the Philippines, harsh penalties deplete the surplus population to paraphrase a very famous British writer.

do wat the dutch do.. grew it ,sell it, ... nice earner for the government... gosh i wonder how much revenue that brings in...

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    one filipina was said to be sent to China for work yet she didn't know what her work would be.. how could you not wonder why the recruiter would give you this money for a work you didnt know? and why would you let yourself bring a suitcase you didnt know what's inside? just my two cents...

i think you would have to be , to take someone else s suit case, even if the drugs were hidden and you didn't know they were there, you must be suspicious as to why your going and what for ..

i wonder if those that are caught smuggling with a stomach full of filled condoms,,, say i dont know how they got there

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    i wonder if those that are caught smuggling with a stomach full of filled condoms,,, say i dont know how they got there
    maybe they thought they were those red pinoy sausages made out of worms ?

maybe they thought they were those red pinoy sausages made out of worms ?

worm sausages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information