Thread: Filipino's Executed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    MANILA — Chinese authorities executed three Filipino drug mules on Wednesday, triggering condemnation in the Catholic Philippines and despair for family members who shared their final moments.

The executions came after repeated pleas by the Philippine government for their sentences to be commuted were turned down, and ended vigils in Manila where supporters of the trio had prayed for a miracle.

"Our government had taken every available opportunity to appeal to the authorities of China for clemency in their cases," presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a statement.

"In the end, however, the sentences were imposed."

He said the three -- Ramon Credo, 42, Sally Villanueva, 32, and Elizabeth Batain, 38 -- were put to death by lethal injection on Wednesday morning, although the Chinese government did not publicly announce the killings.

The trio were sentenced to death after being arrested in China in 2008 for attempting to smuggle heroin into the country.

In its pleas the Philippine government had insisted the three were gullible victims of crime syndicates who had been duped into becoming drug couriers.

The three were allowed to meet their relatives for an hour before they were executed, in what turned out to be devastatingly emotional encounters.

"She was crying, she was partly incoherent. She had a lot of things to say," said Jason Ordinario, a brother of Villanueva who along with another sister and their parents met her as the final verdict was read in a court in Xiamen city.

"She asked us to take care of her children and make sure they can finish studies," he told DZBB radio from China.

Villanueva's relatives said she did not know that she was due to be executed on Wednesday, and was surprised to see her family there.

"I was the first one to see her, we locked eyes and we both cried. She said what are you doing here, why are you all crying, am I going to die," younger sister Mylene said on DZBB.

"She tried to console us. She said, it's okay. I have accepted my fate. I will be your angel and watch over you."

Villanueva's children, aged 12 and nine, were not able to see or talk with their mother before she was killed. They did not travel to China and local authorities would not allow mobile phones into the meeting room.

Surrounded by a throng of supporters and journalists, Villanueva's relatives in Manila erupted in anguished cries as news of the execution broke.

There were similar reactions at the home of Credo, but the family of Batain had requested privacy and no media were with them.

Outside the Villanueva home in a northern Manila slum was a poster comparing her to Flor Contemplacion, a Filipina maid whose hanging in Singapore in 1995 led to a cooling of diplomatic ties between the two countries.

Contemplacion was convicted of murder, although it was widely perceived in the Philippines that she was framed.

Her fate remains an infamous tale about the perils faced by the nine million Filipinos working abroad, many of whom face exploitation while toiling away in low-paying jobs hoping to earn enough money to support relatives at home.

Amnesty International criticised Wednesday's executions and accused President Benigno Aquino's government of not doing enough to save the three.

"We strongly condemn the executions of the three Filipinos," Amnesty's Philippine representative, Aurora Parong, told AFP.

"The Philippines should have taken a stronger action, and it is now its moral duty to lead a campaign against death penalty in Asia."

Church leaders, who had asked the public to join them in prayer for a miracle change of heart by Chinese authorities, also expressed anger.

"We had knocked on the doors of heaven to pray for what turned out to be an impossible wish," added Edwin Corros, executive secretary of church's commission for the pastoral care of migrants, told AFP.

"We call on China to abolish death penalty. We believe no one has the right to take a human life."
    You do surprise me Keith. I wonder if your children who are in the police force, share your views on soft sentences for drug trafficking?

Just imagine how many lives have been saved just by putting these 3 to bed.

These are murderers, mass murderers of whole families, families of the addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    You do surprise me Keith. I wonder if your children who are in the police force, share your views on soft sentences for drug trafficking?

Just imagine how many lives have been saved just by putting these 3 to bed.

These are murderers, mass murderers of whole families, families of the addicts.
    i totally agree ...drugs of any form or substance destroys both yourself and families.. ive even seen drugs prescibed by huge pharmaceutical companies destroy people legally... but .. you can only sue them... tut tut

Quote Originally Posted by branno View Post
    .. ive even seen drugs prescibed by huge pharmaceutical companies destroy people legally... but .. you can only sue them... tut tut
    branno, you've made the same statement in another thread on the same topic.
    Look, I don' want to be picky, but pharmaceutical businesses do not prescribe drugs, that is down to a Doctor. The Doctor makes a choice based on a number of factors, one being legally available.

My point is this, if you have any insider knowledge that suggests that anyone in the supply chain , (manufacturer, NICE, Doctor etc) is doing something that they shouldn't then you need to go public with the facts.

Which prescribed drugs should not be allowed on the UK approved list?

oops may be ive replied to a post in the wrong area.. as u see im not to bright on this sight yet...and ive worded that wrong re, the prescribed drugs by the companies.. ill just give one instance...thalidomide... which became one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times... but yet this drug is still been prescribed in certain countries this day...

Trusted Member
    ...thalidomide... which became one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times... but yet this drug is still been prescribed in certain countries this day...
    Thalidomide was banned worldwide nearly 50 years ago as a sedative preventing morning sickness in pregnancy. It had been found to cause severe birth defects in around 12,000 children in many countries. The drug is indeed used today for very different reasons.
    Its effects on the immune system, inflammation and blood vessels means that it is used with other drugs for multiple myeloma ( a bone marrow cancer) in the UK. It may also be used for complications of AIDS and leprosy.
    Pregnancy must of course be ruled out for women of child-bearing potential before starting treatment. Men undergoing treatment also need to use condoms if their partner is pregnant or not using effective contraception. In fact drugs should be prescribed in pregnancy only if the benefit to the mother is expected to be greater than the risk to the fetus. No drug is safe beyond doubt in early pregnancy.
    Adverse reactions and deaths from such reactions to prescription drugs are very carefully monitored these days. They only account for a third of deaths from drug usage recorded in the UK. Such deaths account for less than 1% of the total in the UK. Smoking causes around 20% and alcohol 2%. It is true that deaths indirectly caused by illegal drug usage and alcohol abuse, such as accidents, violence, and HIV infection, may not be recorded as due to those agents.
    As always, I don't sit in judgement, but try to provide facts as accurately as they are known, so members may form their own opinions.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    If there were no users, there would be no dealers. if there was no dealers there would be no users
    Not true. Where is the dealer in the situation of people producing for their own personal use? This is how many dealers start out and from where all initial drugs use stems. Whereas if everyone decides not to take or stops taking illegal drugs in the first place, you can't deal to anyone. Demand creates supply, not the other way around. Of course, we're always going to have drugs and drug users but the question is: what is the best approach to managing the situation? I think our approach is pretty crap because in truth, we've got no real conviction with regards to drugs. This idea of users as victims just illustrates the point.

while treating moronic, self-destructive drug-users as victims.

http://www.drugscope.org.uk/resource...ple-take-drugs.
    Probably some truth in all those reasons but missing a major one perhaps: a criminal justice system that doesn't take possession seriously enough. So the vicious circle just continues for many users. They use, they get caught for possession, they aren't punished harshly (or at all), they continue to use. Whereas in many cases, a long custodial sentence with no access to drugs, may have been a far better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Manila_Paul View Post
    Not true. Where is the dealer in the situation of people producing for their own personal use? .
    so how many people produce heroin for their own use, soon as they give it or sell it to someone else their a dealer.

i thought it was easier to get drugs in prison that the outside
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

the facts are appreciated too doc.

Banned
    oops may be ive replied to a post in the wrong area.. as u see im not to bright on this sight yet...and ive worded that wrong re, the prescribed drugs by the companies.. ill just give one instance...thalidomide... which became one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times... but yet this drug is still been prescribed in certain countries this day...
    My mother was offered Thalidomide while she was carrying me. She never took up the offer.

My friend Leo was not so fortunate, his mum did which caused him to contract polio.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    My mother was offered Thalidomide while she was carrying me. She never took up the offer.

My friend Leo was not so fortunate, his mum did which caused him to contract polio.
    It was lucky your Mum did not take thalidomide . You might like to read my post on it. One birth defect caused by thalidomide was phocomelia ( shortened limbs), but there are also other causes.
    I'm sorry to know about your friend Leo. However, polio is caused by a virus. Have a look at my thread "Good news about polio" in the "Travel, Tips and Advice" section. No drug causes polio and there is no drug to treat it. Thankfully the vaccine has ensured that Europe and the Philippines have been polio free for about a decade

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    It was lucky your Mum did not take
    Going by some of his posts I think she did but never told him
    Keith - Administrator

Thread Information