Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The bible is ancient, with outdated attitudes and thinking?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I could easily have guessed what would follow as posts on this thread.
    Always, predictable.

I just cannot understand the mentality of those who feel such an irresistible and desperate need to rage, insult and disrespect those who have a belief and faith.
    Amazing really, that given they are unable to control their own emotions, so many 'seemingly' intelligent people are unable to string together just a few intelligent words.

It's like Keith (Win2Win) said, don't read or post on what irritates you, but I see you had your own rage and perhaps didn't control your emotions
    Also, if you feel the need to be even-handed, surely you would see the logic that non-religious people find religion to be a constant bore.
    As you likewise are "seemingly intelligent", you will grasp this point, I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    It's like Keith (Win2Win) said, don't read or post on what irritates you, but I see you had your own rage and perhaps didn't control your emotions
    Also, if you feel the need to be even-handed, surely you would see the logic that non-religious people find religion to be a constant bore.
    As you likewise are "seemingly intelligent", you will grasp this point, I'm sure
    So why are you commenting then?
    Also since many of the women on here are catholic why are you choosing to rubbish their religion.
    Same old rubbish Shark and thanks for welcoming me back along with your chuckle brother Keithangel (oops sorry you did not welcome me)

Banned
    Rubbish! I don't practice any religion, but find the subject highly fascinating. Don't assume all non-religious people look down their noses like most athiests tend to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaytawo View Post
    Rubbish! I don't practice any religion, but find the subject highly fascinating. Don't assume all non-religious people look down their noses like most athiests tend to.
    Here here!! Excellent post.
    I would expect thats how most non religious types think.

Not all atheists are so venomous. Thank Goodness

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Also since many of the women on here are catholic why are you choosing to rubbish their religion.
    Same old rubbish Shark and thanks for welcoming me back along with your chuckle brother Keithangel (oops sorry you did not welcome me)
    Sorry Les hadnt noticed you were gone you obviously missed me
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Best laugh I've had for ages, thanks

Banned
    Fair point.
    You will enjoy the religious posts here then!
    Atheists don't look down their noses, they just wish religion would go away.
    Thankfully in the UK, people seem to feel this as the churches are struggling

Don't assume all non-religious people look down their noses like most athiests tend to.
    I think you'll find they just get on with their own lives rather than knocking on people's doors preaching a fairy story
    Keith - Administrator

in more than 10yrs i've known my misses only twice has religion caused any problems,

one time was when our 7yr old daughter had to go to 'confession' , what the does a 7yr old have to confess about

and when little joe had to be baptised so he could attend the same school as his sister

apart from that no problems at all, but it looks like some people on here have issues
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Best laugh I've had for ages, thanks
    Your easily pleased

Trusted Member
    I had the good sense to pick a Filipina who was not particularly religious.

They do exist.

Neither my stepchildren nor my son have ever attended church or been baptised etc.

If others wish to follow a different path, that's ok by me, as long as they respect my 'non-beliefs' too.

Live and let live, but please don't offer to 'save' me (from what ?), put a bomb under my car, call me a 'sinner', an 'infidel' or other such name that is intended to insult.

The Jehovas witness lady was ready to give me the little book to read but she was a little dismayed when i asked if it had the racing results in it

Trusted Member
    I remember one time I was working under my car in the garage when these nice JWs called.

It was so funny having them coming and going to my toolbox and passing me oily bits whilst attempting to recruit me into their cult.

Must have gone on for about half an hour, and I never even came out from under the car !

I have always liked the classic "would you like to become a Jehova's witness?" "sorry love I never saw the accident"

1.You will enjoy the religious posts here then!

2.Atheists don't look down their noses
    1.religious posts , i thought you hyjacked most of them and it turned into a slagging match

2.it appears you do
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    You'll find in the under 35's that the majority of Filipino's come into this class of people.

Look how many people are in Manila... count how many churches and multiply it by the number of seats and the ratio will be massive ..... The rest of the world this the UK is a Christian country If anyone on here thinks it is you probably believe in the tooth fairy as well ..... .... are we allowed to use the word 'fairy' these days?
    Keith - Administrator

it was reversed on this thread Born if you read the title Nigel was hoping for a bit of fun
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

They do exist.
    not going to church doesn't mean they dont have belief.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    You'll find in the under 35's that the majority of Filipino's come into this class of people.

Look how many people are in Manila... count how many churches and multiply it by the number of seats and the ratio will be massive ..... The rest of the world this the UK is a Christian country If anyone on here thinks it is you probably believe in the tooth fairy as well ..... .... are we allowed to use the word 'fairy' these days?
    My wife has been to church in the UK once.
    She refused to go again saying all the chismis (sp?) was too much for her.
    It seems the local Filipinas are quite spiteful to each other.
    My mate down the road calls them the Filipina mafia

I went into the Santo Nino church in Cebu, spent the whole time inside wondering why they couldn't use an air rifle to take out the ballons stuck on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by gparry2007 View Post
    not going to church doesn't mean they dont have belief.
    ... there are a lot of decent, morally upright folk I know who never go near a church. And ... by the same token ... many churchgoers who can only be described as hypocrites,

Banned
    While everybody has this, "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude we'll go round in circles forever and never find the answers Religion basically comes down to one question, "Is there a God?"

Nobody knows. Why pretend otherwise

The human ego is more repressive than any religion

Trusted Member
    This is all true...possibly.

Yes there is and he is called Eric Cantona

Not sure at the moment, east midlands, rice farm or manila
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post

I get shocked when people still talk of blasphemy, and that blasphemers should be punished! I don't think so at all! I'm amazed the word 'blasphemer' is even still used!

Isn't it time we acknowledged the bible is ancient? Shouldn't we take whats written in the bible more loosely nowadays?

I'd like to reply to the original idea of this message as it seems to have gone slightly off topic with the unsurprising ranting and raving. i once went out with an english catholic lady who was lets say a little older than me. She was what I'd call a practicing catholic who went to church fairly regularly. I on the other hand am atheiest. This never was an issuse for us so one day in the pub I asked her "don't you think the bible is an outdated concept based on stories and myths". She replied that even though the bible has little bearing these days she believe it should be used as a set of guidelines on which to try to live your life.

Good answer I thought. So nigel it seems this lady friend of mine had the same sort of idea you have and to be fair if you are religous its basically down to indivual interpretation of whichever religous text you happen to believe / have faith in. It must be remembered that alot of religious people take comfort and strength in their beliefs. I must also add that I obviously don't expect those beliefs to be thrown in my face at every opportuninty in the same way I don't throw my atheism in anyone elses face.
    It's been emontional

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I'd like to reply to the original idea of this message as it seems to have gone slightly off topic with the unsurprising ranting and raving. i once went out with an english catholic lady who was lets say a little older than me. She was what I'd call a practicing catholic who went to church fairly regularly. I on the other hand am atheiest. This never was an issuse for us so one day in the pub I asked her "don't you think the bible is an outdated concept based on stories and myths". She replied that even though the bible has little bearing these days she believe it should be used as a set of guidelines on which to try to live your life.

Good answer I thought. So nigel it seems this lady friend of mine had the same sort of idea you have and to be fair if you are religous its basically down to indivual interpretation of whichever religous text you happen to believe / have faith in. It must be remembered that alot of religious people take comfort and strength in their beliefs. I must also add that I obviously don't expect those beliefs to be thrown in my face at every opportuninty in the same way I don't throw my atheism in anyone elses face.
    Well said People easily forget that ALL religions have positive messages/guidelines which are as relevant today as they were whenever.

"Batanes Bishop Camillo Gregorio on Friday lamented that most people are looking forward to spending the four-day break next week on picnics and beach parties instead of communing with God.........
    ................While the Catholic Church encourages the faithful to observe the week in meditation and repentance, many Filipinos have come to regard it as an occasion for rest and recreation, mostly by going to the sunniest beaches..."

Trusted Member
    Yes, enjoying your brief life on this planet can be a sinful thing.

Being a pious priest and foregoing sex with women is clearly the way to go.

It must be remembered that alot of religious people take comfort and strength in their beliefs.
    ... MY point entirely!

I must also add that I obviously don't expect those beliefs to be thrown in my face at every opportuninty in the same way I don't throw my atheism in anyone elses face.
    ... fair comment!

a up all just come back from hols and have been busy all week too, never read all the bible and so really cant add to this, robert ludlums books are my sort, anyway each to there own

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information