Thread: We Are Approved

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 12 2005, 09:18 AM

And in case anybody is wondering, Filipinos can still keep their Philippines nationality as well as take up British. New laws came in a couple years back, which is my wife now has two passports/nationalities.
    Cheers, Paul B
    Hi Paul B, Did your wife go to the Philippine Embassy for an Oath Taking to retain her Filipino citizenship?

Respected Member
    Originally posted by moi@Sep 16 2005, 01:24 PM
    Hi Paul B, Did your wife go to the Philippine Embassy for an Oath Taking to retain her Filipino citizenship?
    No. She has never lost her PI citizenship. It is only people who are re-claiming their old citizenship who have to do the oath taking.

Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 16 2005, 02:53 PM
    No. She has never lost her PI citizenship. It is only people who are re-claiming their old citizenship who have to do the oath taking.
    But the Consul secretary sent me an e-mail to go and have the Oath Taking after getting my British Citizenship which I think is another sort of application and fees to pay and of course trip to London with my family.
    Both re-claiming and retaining needs to attend the Oath Taking as it says on the FAQ in their website.I just want to keep mine if I could without taking another Oath.

Excerpt from the FAQ's about dual citizen

What is Republic Act No. 9225?

Republic Act No. 9225 is an Act making the citizenship of Filipinos who acquire foreign citizenship permanent, amending for the purpose Commonwealth Act No. 63.

RA 9225, which took effect on 17 September 2003, declares that former natural-born Filipino citizens who acquired foreign citizenship through naturalisation are deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under conditions provided in the Act.

There former Filipinos can re-acquire/retain their Philippine citizenship by taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.

Respected Member
    Originally posted by moi@Sep 16 2005, 04:32 PM

RA 9225, which took effect on 17 September 2003, declares that former natural-born Filipino citizens who acquired foreign citizenship through naturalisation are deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under conditions provided in the Act.

There former Filipinos can re-acquire/retain their Philippine citizenship by taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.
    The bold words are the ones we are going on. My wife isn't a former Filipino. She is still a Filipino, and has lost nothing.

I think the act you quote deals with Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the above act came into power, so they did lose the Filipino citizenship, but can now have it back.

Basically, all the Filipinos who cut out of the Philippines to make a fortune elsewhere are now clamouring to come home, now that the PI has go itself sorted a bit, and they've realised just how much their overseas dollars can buy 'back home'

Anyway, my wife has a new PI passport, given to her two months ago, so I don't think Joe Shmoe on the PI immigration will know whether she is a Filipino or Brit Plus, the daughter and I get one year Balikbayan visa if we all fly into the PI together.

Respected Member
    Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 17 2005, 12:05 PM
    Anyway, my wife has a new PI passport, given to her two months ago, so I don't think Joe Shmoe on the PI immigration will know whether she is a Filipino or Brit Plus, the daughter and I get one year Balikbayan visa if we all fly into the PI together.
    Come to think of it, when my wife e mailed the London PI embassy asking where to get the application form for that new passport, stating "I AM A FILIPINO CITIZEN LIVING IN THE UK and I need to apply for a new passport as my current one has expired"......

Ten days later she recieves a reply (usual Filipino time) stating IF YOU ARE A FORMER FILIPINO NATIONAL WISHING TO REGAIN YOUR FILIPINO NATIONALITY you must attend the embassy for an oath taking ceremony blah blah.

I wrote back on her behalf:

Dear ********
    "In my message, attached below, you will see, clearly stated, "I AM A FILIPINO CITIZEN LIVING IN THE UK". Can you please specify which part of that statement you do not understand?.
    Also, you have failed to answer the issue I wrote to you TEN days ago inquiring about: where can I get the application form for a new FILIPINO passport?"

Typical Filipino attitude: "But I thought......." :blink:

We recieved a polite e mail reply next day telling her exactly where the application form was to be found

Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 17 2005, 11:05 AM
    The bold words are the ones we are going on. My wife isn't a former Filipino. She is still a Filipino, and has lost nothing.

I think the act you quote deals with Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the above act came into power, so they did lose the Filipino citizenship, but can now have it back.

Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the Act took effect (Sept 2003) can reclaim their Filipino citizenship and retain theirs if they took other citizenship after Sept. 2003 and has to apply for Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225.
    I am on the same situation as your wife Paul and might keep my passport as it hasn't expired yet but will we be considered DUAL CITIZEN if we didn't apply for a petition to be Dual and have the Identification Certificate?

Funnily enough, we were at the PI embassy in London the other week and spoke with the consul there. As always, it's impossible to get a straight answer and I'm still not quite sure of the process, and to be honest, i don't think she was either, but perish the thought she would "lose face" by being honest about it.

From what i could gather, even though british citizenship has been obtained, if you have a PI passport and it's due to expire and you want to renew it, then you can renew it - as they haven't a clue whether you've obtained british citizenship or not (similar to what happened to Pauldo, I think...?) However, if you don't bother to renew the PI passport and then try to obtain one later on (having let the old one expire) then you MAY need the oath nonsense. Or you may not. Like I said, I don't think she knew herself, and was obviously uncomfortable at the loss of face she was already experiencing at our suggestion we'll probably just let the PI citizenship slide because, let's face it, who would want it when you have a british passport?

So, I think, if you really do want to retain dual citizenship, the easiest way to do it is to renew your PI passport upon expiry of the old one, and ignore their oath taking suggestions. Don't forget, it's actually harder to open a bank account in the high street than it is to get a philippine passport so, like Pauldo, providing you're simply renewing, you shouldn't have too much trouble, british citizenship or not.

Respected Member
    Originally posted by moi@Sep 17 2005, 12:37 PM
    Filipinos who took foreign citizenship before the Act took effect (Sept 2003) can reclaim their Filipino citizenship and retain theirs if they took other citizenship after Sept. 2003 and has to apply for Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225.

Moi, where did you quote that from? I can see nothing like it in any of the RA9225 info I've found.

From what every website I've seen tells me, there is nothing that says you have to reaffirm your Filipino citizenship, by any way or means, if you have never lost it.

As mentioned in the last post, nobody seems to know the facts, even Philippine embassy officials, and they have no intentions of ever uttering the cursed and heinous, face losing three words: "I don't know" :unsure: :blink: :o

Smile

Originally posted by Pauldo@Sep 18 2005, 11:07 AM
    Moi, where did you quote that from? I can see nothing like it in any of the RA9225 info I've found.

From what every website I've seen tells me, there is nothing that says you have to reaffirm your Filipino citizenship, by any way or means, if you have never lost it.

As mentioned in the last post, nobody seems to know the facts, even Philippine embassy officials, and they have no intentions of ever uttering the cursed and heinous, face losing three words: "I don't know" :unsure: :blink: :o
    The Philippine Embassy Canberra Australia website.Their website is more useful i think than the London one.I've checked the Swtzerland Phils. Embassy site as well.

I agree with you Paul,why take an OATH if you have never lost it? But according to the Act, in order to retain it, you should take an Oath of Allegiance. <_<

Thread Information